Got accepted to my first medical school just to find out it was a tech error...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharaohtuthtx

Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry for the long post but I just wanted some advice on my situation and to bring to light what happened to me. On the 28th of March, I received news that I was waitlisted for my top choice medical school. I was a little sad but believed there was still a chance and started drafting up a letter of intent for the medical school to ensure that they knew that I was very much interested in the school and that it was my top choice. However, within 3 hours I looked at my portal and it told me that I was accepted! I was super excited because it was my first acceptance of the cycle and it was from my top choice medical school!

So I immediately looked at the accepted student checklist it had on my portal and was planning on paying the deposit to secure my seat. I told my parents that night and we were all very excited. They congratulated me for all my hard work and for making it this far. I was even going to let the other schools that I was waitlisted from know that I had decided to go to another school so they could take me off their waitlist. It was really an exciting moment and I finally had this moment of relief.

The next day I decided to call up the school to thank them while also confirming the status of my spot at the school and was going to follow up with more questions about the deposit and other questions about housing. I was then put on hold for about ten minutes and she finally came back on the phone. She started off with an apology and said that she had just spoken with the admissions committee and that I was actually still on the waitlist the whole time. I could tell she was very hesitant on the phone. She then proceeded to tell me that my portal being updated to an acceptance was a technology error and wasn't supposed to happen at all and that they would update my portal back to being under consideration/ on the waitlist. I was truly devastated. I thanked her for letting me know about my status and let her know I would send in my letter of intent soon. I was at a loss for words. The worst part was calling my family and telling them that the entire acceptance was entirely a mistake and that I was actually still on the waitlist. I was completely embarrassed and extremely sad.

I've sent my letter of intent already but I'm still really disappointed in myself and somewhat angry at the school for making me go through this emotional rollercoaster. I think this whole thing really messed with my mind. It really got my hopes up and then it was all just taken away in moments. I know I still have a chance at being accepted but I'm hoping I can get some advice or any suggestions for what I could do. I might be overthinking it but all my friends told me to definitely share my story so I could bring it to light since this situation was pretty messed up. Please don't hesitate to share your advice or suggestions on what to do next. Thanks for reading my story guys!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Hey! I'm really sorry to hear this. It's definitely happened before and during my cycle, or it might have been the one before me, it really messed with a lot of people too. Your feelings are valid and you have the right to feel upset and angry about this. You're absolutely not out of the running and, if anything, your call might help you - especially if they write down that you called. Don't lose hope and take solace in having such a wonderful support group in your parents. It's a tough road and it's definitely full of these rollercoaster moments, though this kind is really a rarity.

If you want a laugh, or commiserating, this is the previous time (that I can recall) that this happened:

Reactions: 1 users
I am quite sure the admissions staff on the other side when you pointed out the mistake feels mortified. We try our best to be sure we never send out communications that are not accurate. It definitely keeps me up at night, and I always have a few people oversee "the lists" carefully.

Once they figure out who was accidentally notified of getting an offer in the portal versus the alternate list letter, they will send out an apology.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll also add... keep it professional and classy. That is just as impressive. I can't say it will help you get off the alternate list but they will remember you positively should it come down to it.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! Sorry for the long post but I just wanted some advice on my situation and to bring to light what happened to me. On the 28th of March, I received news that I was waitlisted for my top choice medical school. I was a little sad but believed there was still a chance and started drafting up a letter of intent for the medical school to ensure that they knew that I was very much interested in the school and that it was my top choice. However, within 3 hours I looked at my portal and it told me that I was accepted! I was super excited because it was my first acceptance of the cycle and it was from my top choice medical school!

So I immediately looked at the accepted student checklist it had on my portal and was planning on paying the deposit to secure my seat. I told my parents that night and we were all very excited. They congratulated me for all my hard work and for making it this far. I was even going to let the other schools that I was waitlisted from know that I had decided to go to another school so they could take me off their waitlist. It was really an exciting moment and I finally had this moment of relief.

The next day I decided to call up the school to thank them while also confirming the status of my spot at the school and was going to follow up with more questions about the deposit and other questions about housing. I was then put on hold for about ten minutes and she finally came back on the phone. She started off with an apology and said that she had just spoken with the admissions committee and that I was actually still on the waitlist the whole time. I could tell she was very hesitant on the phone. She then proceeded to tell me that my portal being updated to an acceptance was a technology error and wasn't supposed to happen at all and that they would update my portal back to being under consideration/ on the waitlist. I was truly devastated. I thanked her for letting me know about my status and let her know I would send in my letter of intent soon. I was at a loss for words. The worst part was calling my family and telling them that the entire acceptance was entirely a mistake and that I was actually still on the waitlist. I was completely embarrassed and extremely sad.

I've sent my letter of intent already but I'm still really disappointed in myself and somewhat angry at the school for making me go through this emotional rollercoaster. I think this whole thing really messed with my mind. It really got my hopes up and then it was all just taken away in moments. I know I still have a chance at being accepted but I'm hoping I can get some advice or any suggestions for what I could do. I might be overthinking it but all my friends told me to definitely share my story so I could bring it to light since this situation was pretty messed up. Please don't hesitate to share your advice or suggestions on what to do next. Thanks for reading my story guys!
Wow I’m soooo sorry that happened to you. Best of luck moving fwd. I’m not a lawyer but there had to be some legal means I imagine. If you never called and just assumed everything was kosher what would happen if you turned other schools down. This is just like if a job hires you and you give you’re two weeks notice. Then they say oops we didn’t mean to hire you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So sorry to hear this. Honestly though, good on you for calling the medical school and confirming your spot before contacting the other schools you were waitlisted at and telling them to remove you off the waitlist. Would've been such a hassle having to explain what happened to each and to put you back on the waitlist. Let's hope you check your portal again and it says accepted but for real this time :)

Reactions: 1 users
Lawyer/media

Lawsuit would be unlikely or impossible to win since you didn’t really suffer damages (ie didn’t withdraw from other schools, quit job etc.) but sometimes just the act of a lawyer sending a letter can pay dividends

Lawyer/media

Lawsuit would be unlikely or impossible to win since you didn’t really suffer damages (ie didn’t withdraw from other schools, quit job etc.) but sometimes just the act of a lawyer sending a letter can pay dividends
What dividend do you envision this course of action will pay?

Reactions: 6 users
What dividend do you envision this course of action will pay?
I’m just saying, sometimes it helps plaintiffs who would otherwise have no case. Just look at those students at Dartmouth’s med school. All evidence points to them cheating and getting kicked out. Then they hire a lawyer, contact the New York Times, and voila the case is dropped.

I’m just saying, sometimes it helps plaintiffs who would otherwise have no case. Just look at those students at Dartmouth’s med school. All evidence points to them cheating and getting kicked out. Then they hire a lawyer, contact the New York Times, and voila the case is dropped.
Completely different situation - students already in medical school accused of wrongdoing vs a student who has not been accepted with no case to be dropped. OP is an applicant, not a plaintiff. Could OP win a court case and the hearts of the public over this? Maybe. But do you really think the school is going to say "gee, this student we were iffy about in the first place lawyered up over a clerical error, now we DEFINITELY want them"?

The course of action here that is most likely to result in acceptance is professionalism and understanding, not a letter from a lawyer.

Reactions: 6 users

Really sorry to read this, and hope your next communication from the school (and others) brings good news. In the meantime, stay professional, classy, gracious, and forgiving.

Lawyer/media

Absolutely don’t do this. It will sink your ship at this school and if it gets big enough then every other med school. Humans can’t help technology error. Hopefully you get off but just don’t do this.

Reactions: 8 users
When I was in grammar school, there was this girl who they accidentally said won the math competition but she didn't and to make things right the Vice Principal took her to lunch at the Golden Arches.