Got an email finally...

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by blueey, Oct 21, 2002.

1. blueey

blueey Member
    7+ Year Member

But, guess what the message was ...

We regret to inform you that we cannot place you in the interview list which has highly competitive candidates.
    This is UMDNJ/RWJMS Camden- Cooper.

Makes me worried a little bit, not because they rejected me, but do I look that inferior compared to the highly competitive candidates and if so is this going to be the assessment by most other programs I am applying for ??

Anybody has anything to say ?

2. gas-x

gas-x Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey don't worry,

i'm expecting tons of rejections. makes life interesting. don't let it get to you.

3. blueey

blueey Member
    7+ Year Member

X- gas

But did you apply for a varity of programs ??
    I was mad enough to apply for one type only- IM, University hospitals, Categorical spot.

Now, wondering should I add a few Preliminary spots, just in case ...

4. blueey

blueey Member
    7+ Year Member

pba

Could you expand a little bit further and say in what way community program is going to help, 'cos I am not after a closed end channel.

I need to be able to find a fellowship ( ID/ Rheumatology etc..), doesn't matter even if it is going to take a bit longer than usual.

Thanx

5. gas-x

gas-x Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

blueey

you still have time to add more programs through ERAS. don't worry about interview rejections. as far as internal medicine, there are plenty of programs out there. you won't have any problems matching.

i'm applying to anesthesia, so i have to apply to prelims and transitionals.

when you go through your interviews, ask about fellowship opportunities or track records. you'll be surprised. there will be many community programs that place people in fellowships. as a whole, they aren't as difficult to get...especially ID and Rheum. now if you're going for GI and cardio, it might be harder. but you can't worry about that now. it's three years from now.

6. blueey

blueey Member
    7+ Year Member

X- gas, Good luck with your gas handling. Thanks for the info, I dunno how but I had this misconception that Community Program doesn't help anybody get anywhere except one is extraordinary.

I need to find out which ones (community programs ) have more fellowships availabile.

So, my question is why do people freak out when they hear it is only a community program... or is it just the small circle (world) I am living in ??

7. gwen

gwen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi guys! let me share my 2 cents on community programs. if you are a hard working resident, it doesn't matter WHERE you go...honest. the hospital where i rotated through for IM is a relatively small university-""affiliated"" (not UNIV hostpital) hospital. the residents there were so extremely happy, friendly with each other and guess what? one of the grads that year matched into GI at Brown!!! we were thrilled for him. so don't fret if UMDNJ has a few sticks up their you-know-what. you'll do great. good luck.

gwen

;)

8. DR

DR Xtra Large Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with the responses. There are merits to both programs, however some will help you with certain goals. The experience I have gotten is that community, university-affiliated programs can be excellent...EXCELLENT. They have the benefit of being able to let you do more, because you're not fighting with others to get a procedure (for example), and you get great teaching. And the teaching is usually by faculty of the affiliated university. The down side can be that a fellowship in GI or cardiology can be harder than if coming from a university program. This is purely a result of the fact that the biggest factor that goes into finding a fellowship is...human nature. Most people do well finding a spot because they have gotten to know a faculty member who is a reknowned researcher through their publications, through the university. These are the people who 1) pick up the phone and make calls for you with "colleagues" of theirs at other prestigious institutions, and 2) their letter makes a big difference...a letter from a GI guy in a small community GI program recommending you carries less weight than a letter from a GI guy at a big university who, let's say, is a board member in the american association of gastroenterology (or whatever)and whose name everyone knows from his/her publications. However**, if you are not opposed to doing a fellowship at the community program you trained in, than it is less of a problem. Most of these programs will give preference to their own (there are exceptions...my school's program does not...major reason why students don't rank it). Hope this was even a little helpful.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. blueey

blueey Member
    7+ Year Member

Gwen, pba & Dr thanks a million.

I Just wanted to hear this from somebody experienced. OK, now I am all set, all what I need to do is choose probably another 6- 8 programs and press the button...