Got an F in Bio 1 lab (am i done?)..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I missed a class and because I missed that specific day, my final lab report was reduced by 50% (went from a B to an F). I also did horrible on one of the exams, so that reduced my overall grade even more, was relying on this lab report to get me through that class..but i failed it :(

Is my chances at MD pretty much over? My GPA isn't that great already, (3.3). I really really regret taking so many sciences courses all at once this semester :(:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

I missed a class and because I missed that specific day, my final lab report was reduced by 50% (went from a B to an F). I also did horrible on one of the exams, so that reduced my overall grade even more, was relying on this lab report to get me through that class..but i failed it :(

Is my chances at MD pretty much over? My GPA isn't that great already, (3.3). I really really regret taking so many sciences courses all at once this semester :(:(:(

One F won't kill you. What year are you? Trying bring that 3.3 up.

One F won't kill you. What year are you? Trying bring that 3.3 up.

Going into junior year next semester. I'm just starting my science courses (bio, chem, ect). My humanities and math courses are pretty much all finished (i know, i shouldn't have done that first).

Members don't see this ad :)
In short: the work you had this semester, or even remaining in UG with all science left, is nothing compared to what you will have in med school.

1 F isn't the end, especially if you are open to DO or live in a state w a few in state options. But you need to identify what went wrong (and for 90% of kids in your grade it is social factors) and fix it.

Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Did you have an excuse for missing that day? Either way it's not a death sentence retake a do better next time.

Sucks. Stop missing class, start getting As and go from there.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

So, you have lower than a 3.0 at this point as a junior?

It is going to be extremely hard. A rare few have done it, but many have not.

So, you have lower than a 3.0 at this point as a junior?

It is going to be extremely hard. A rare few have done it, but many have not.
Well it was 1 credit, I'm hoping it won't sabotage my GPA that much :(
And yes, sort of. I only have science courses left to take at the moment, and am sitting on 63 credits currently.

In short: the work you had this semester, or even remaining in UG with all science left, is nothing compared to what you will have in med school.

1 F isn't the end, especially if you are open to DO or live in a state w a few in state options. But you need to identify what went wrong (and for 90% of kids in your grade it is social factors) and fix it.

Good luck.

Thanks man, that grade was definitely the big wake up call that I needed. I'm not going to blame anyone but myself for not reading the syllabus. The class itself was pretty easy in my opinion, I just didn't realize that if i missed that specific day, my lab report would be reduced by 50%...

With a 3.3 (before the F) going into Junior year OP needs to stop getting less than As.

I would consider taking a victory lap as well (5th year)

DO schools have grade replacement. You could always try that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone can be a doctor. It's just a matter of whether you want to practice in the US or not. The caribbean will take most anyone, and if you do defy all expectations there, you still have a (quite small) chance of getting back to the US - otherwise, train in another country, or do work in the third world where your residency isn't especially important.

If you can pull it off, get into a lower-tier MD program or a DO program (depending on where your scores are) - otherwise, the question isn't "is it over," it's more "how far are you willing to go?" and "are you willing to leave the US forever to achieve your dream?"

Lol, idk if I'm just being too optimistic, but I think it's too early to be saying go DO. I thought lab is 1 credit? An F in a 4 credit class will hurt. An F in a 1 credit class is suspect but redeemable-- not nearly as bad as an F in a 4 credit class.

OP, are lab and lecture separate grades? Or are they combined into 1 grade? If their combined then in that case you may end up with a C not an F.

And you said that you just started your pre-req's? I mean sure, you may have to take a few extra classes to bring your gpa up but since you just started, GPA repair will be a lot easier with ~10 BCPM credits with a 3.3 gpa than if you had 60+ BCPM credits with a 3.3 gpa.

Punch your stats into a gpa calculator, see how many more classes you need to pull your gpa up to a 3.7 and start from there.

Lol, F in a 1 credit class? Just retake, get an A, and it's like you got a C. Not going to hurt you or your GPA much.

My GPA isn't that great already, (3.3). I really really regret taking so many sciences courses all at once this semester :(:(:(

sorry I misunderstood and thought you meant your science gpa was a 3.3 gpa. I don't feel like doing all the calculations but its reasonable that you could pull that to a 3.5, maybe 3.6 graduation. Then try to get your science gpa around there too.

Can you withdraw?

It must suck to have to repeat a 1 unit course. For your other classes read the syllabus, and figure out your plan of attract for the class to makes As from now on.

It must suck to have to repeat a 1 unit course. For your other classes read the syllabus, and figure out your plan of attract for the class to makes As from now on.

Ya, tell me about it...but at least it was a 1 credit class so my gpa doesn't take a big hit.

I just didn't realize that if i missed that specific day, my lab report would be reduced by 50%...

Seems like you're not taking responsibility for something.

What was this specific day? The day the project was do? The day of the final? There wasn't just a random day worth 50% of your grade.

You're going to have to own up to it on your application, otherwise it will hurt you... significantly.

Have you considered going to class when the final is due? I find that to be a crucial part of doing well in classes.
Have you considered reading the actual posts made by OP? I find that to be a crucial part of making constructive replies.
Seems like you're not taking responsibility for something.

What was this specific day? The day the project was do? The day of the final? There wasn't just a random day worth 50% of your grade.

You're going to have to own up to it on your application, otherwise it will hurt you... significantly.

It was the day the actual lab was conducted in class, NOT the day the lab report was due.

I don't think people are understanding, so i'll try to make it more clear by cliffs:

-I missed the day the 9th lab was conducted.
-I turned in my lab report the day it was due and all that jazz.
-My grade for the LAB REPORT was reduced by 50% CAUSE I MISSED THE DAY THE 9TH LAB WAS PERFORMED.
-I didn't fully read the syllabus on the 50% reduction for missing class that day, yes it was my fault.

Have you considered reading the actual posts made by OP? I find that to be a crucial part of making constructive replies.

ixqFgA4jZUJcf.gif

dw... its not your fault. these things happen. just carry on and made the best grades you can. a 1 credit class won't leave you unrecoverable

It was the day the actual lab was conducted in class, NOT the day the lab report was due.

I don't think people are understanding, so i'll try to make it more clear by cliffs:

-My grade for the LAB REPORT was reduced by 50% CAUSE I MISSED THE DAY THE 9TH LAB WAS PERFORMED.
-I didn't fully read the syllabus on the 50% reduction for missing class that day, yes it was my fault.

Yep, I actually did read your replies and I fail to see how that changes anything.

At this rate I think you're probably done. You're a junior in college who's failing a Bio 1 lab course.... You supposedly want to go to medical school yet you don't care enough about your grades to read a course syllabus? If you were a freshmen I'd understand but it's Junior year now.

You'd have to have an excellent MCAT or get straight A's for the next two or so years in order to even make your GPA competitive. It's definitely still possible if you want it bad enough but I don't think you do.

dw... its not your fault. these things happen. just carry on and made the best grades you can. a 1 credit class won't leave you unrecoverable

It's not his fault Venom5? Speaking of not reading posts...

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it over a one unit lab. However, I would sweat it over the low GPA. You could end up in a situation where your science is higher since you said you haven't taken much. I would definitely aim for that.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SDN Mobile

Yep, I actually did read your replies and I fail to see how that changes anything.

At this rate I think you're probably done. You're a junior in college who's failing a Bio 1 lab course.... You supposedly want to go to medical school yet you don't care enough about your grades to read a course syllabus? If you were a freshmen I'd understand but it's Junior year now.

You'd have to have an excellent MCAT or get straight A's for the next two or so years in order to even make your GPA competitive. It's definitely still possible if you want it bad enough but I don't think you do.

1350929100875.jpg

I was under the impression your grade for the entire class was cut in half.

What was your final grade in the class/lab?

It's not entirely his fault... things happen. you sound really uptight. relax ?

This isnt true. Things do happen, and in this case what happened was the OP not reading carefully. That does not shift blame. Mistakes also happen, but that doesnt mean one can claim lack of fault.

This isnt true. Things do happen, and in this case what happened was the OP not reading carefully. That does not shift blame. Mistakes also happen, but that doesnt mean one can claim lack of fault.

Then whose fault is it Venom5?!?!?

I'm actually pretty relaxed right now Venom5:
KCSHQ.gif

It's not entirely his fault... things happen. you sound really uptight. relax ?

I never said it wasn't my own fault

I never said it wasn't my own fault

I know you didnt. Venom did. It wasn't a jab at you.

I was just stating that "stuff happens" is not an equivalent statement to "it wasn't my fault" as venom implied.

Well said, Josh7. That's a realistic perspective, though gloomy. OP, retake and ace the course, and get A's in all other courses. It's obviously not easy, and since you're struggling in a bio 1 lab, you will definitely have a more difficult time dealing with harder courses. Still, do well and try to raise your gpa. Otherwise, as bearstronaut stated, you may have to apply overseas.

Well said, Josh7. That's a realistic perspective, though gloomy. OP, retake and ace the course, and get A's in all other courses. It's obviously not easy, and since you're struggling in a bio 1 lab, you will definitely have a more difficult time dealing with harder courses. Still, do well and try to raise your gpa. Otherwise, as bearstronaut stated, you may have to apply overseas.

Well I wasn't 'struggling' with the course. I just didn't read the rules on the syllabus in regards to attendance. The report was a huge chuck of our grade.

ITT: People have responsibility issues.

OP, man up and start to demonstrate that you care about your academic performance. You can tell us, sincerely so, that you want to be a doctor, but until you can materialize that will into proof of work ethic and capability you're not going anywhere. Your GPA is low, start getting A's. Drop other things if you need to, your grades are most important. Be meticulous about not trying to cut corners with attendance, and if you must, do so carefully (read: know the rules for your classes so this doesn't happen again).

Forget about the F. Just go from here. Make this a turning point and you can switch that status to med student in a few years.

Lol, F in a 1 credit class? Just retake, get an A, and it's like you got a C. Not going to hurt you or your GPA much.
this. just show that you have improved, get A's from here on out