Got an F on my last APPE rotation in P4 year? Will I be kicked out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacistdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I finished my last APPE outpatient care rotation and got a c+, however the course coordinator at the school for the outpatient rotation gave me an F. According to her, the manual and policies for the Appe rotation states that getting a grade that is below the minimum satisfactory score of 8 out of 10 on any of the professional competences on the professional evaluation form is a potential grounds for failure. Since, the preceptor on my last rotation gave me a score below minimum on 6 such competencies on the professionalism section, I got an F. Consequently, the school policy also states that getting an F on any APPE rotation is an automatic dismissal from the program. I have not received any official letter from the school yet, but I know that I am most likely dismissed from the program. The associate dean has told me that I have the right to appeal the decision and I should definitely appeal it. However, I am very nervous and depressed T this point. I am nots urge how this will end up even if I appeal the decision. The worst part of all this is that I already attended the graduation ceremony and my parents attended it and now we are all shocked to have heard about this news. Please help me on my situation because it has been 4. Years of hard work and my lifelong dream and passion to become a pharmacist. Please help! I would also appreciate any feedback from any students who were in the same situation for same or different reasons and know what happened in their cases. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all, I finished my last APPE outpatient care rotation and got a c+, however the course coordinator at the school for the outpatient rotation gave me an F. According to her, the manual and policies for the Appe rotation states that getting a grade that is below the minimum satisfactory score of 8 out of 10 on any of the professional competences on the professional evaluation form is a potential grounds for failure. Since, the preceptor on my last rotation gave me a score below minimum on 6 such competencies on the professionalism section, I got an F. Consequently, the school policy also states that getting an F on any APPE rotation is an automatic dismissal from the program. I have not received any official letter from the school yet, but I know that I am most likely dismissed from the program. The associate dean has told me that I have the right to appeal the decision and I should definitely appeal it. However, I am very nervous and depressed T this point. I am nots urge how this will end up even if I appeal the decision. The worst part of all this is that I already attended the graduation ceremony and my parents attended it and now we are all shocked to have heard about this news. Please help me on my situation because it has been 4. Years of hard work and my lifelong dream and passion to become a pharmacist. Please help! I would also appreciate any feedback from any students who were in the same situation for same or different reasons and know what happened in their cases. Thanks again.

If you already graduated, then you already got a diploma. Can they even revoke a diploma?

I didn't graduate. I was suppose to graduate on june 1st. However, our graduation ceremony was on may11.

Members don't see this ad :)
response to criticism 3/10, time management 6/10, reliability in assignments 6/10, patient care and safety6/10, I dont the last one but this is what prompted them to fail me

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you had a lot of other academic problems, I see no reason why your school wouldn't allow you to repeat the rotation. Isn't that an option for you?

Generally a student can get one C on theirAPPE rotation, but they're placed on an academic probation. In my case this was my last rotation and I don't know what usually happens in a case like mine.

Well, like I said, unless you had a ton of other academic problems where they decided you should be kicked out of school, it seems like you could just pony up some more dough and repeat the rotation. You probably know your school's policies better than we do, though.

I got A on my first four rotation and a B- on my fifth. So, I dont think it was due to academic reasons.

Generally a student can get one C on theirAPPE rotation, but they're placed on an academic probation. In my case this was my last rotation and I don't know what usually happens in a case like mine.

If that is your school's policy, and if you end up getting a C, then you'll just get 1 academic probation, which will be irrelevant since you're graduating. That is of course, if you get a C instead of an F.

I already got an F as per the school and that is what was submitted as my final grade for that rotation to the registrars office. However, I am not sure what will be the outcome of this grade and how to go about resolving it. Any advise will be much appreCiated.

I already got an F as per the school and that is what was submitted as my final grade for that rotation to the registrars office. However, I am not sure what will be the outcome of this grade and how to go about resolving it. Any advise will be much appreCiated.

None of us know what you need to do. Get support here, but for pete's sake, talk to someone at your school RIGHT NOW to see what your options are and what is going to happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow ! Yeah.in most schools, including my own, you could get away with one C.But if you fail any one section of the rotation, you usually fail the rotation. They should most definitely have the option to repeat your ambulatory care rotation. I would not stress out much over it. Just contact your advanced practice/experiential office coordinators.I know a bunch of people who got F's on their rotation and could still make it up. Don't worry, you should be ok :)

Why are you here instead of talking to your dean of students?

You $%&#ed up. Time to fix it before your $$$ and years of schooling are down the drain.

The worst part is that this was not even a required outpatient rotation. It was an elective outpatient rotation specialized in peds compounding.

I spoke to dean of students and he told me to wait for the official letter that he will send out this week. He said at that Time i will have to appeal the decision. Then they will decide an appropriate remediation measures for me. Hope this will bring more light to my case and perhaps more hope as well. Thanks.

Last edited:
Man, this whole situation really sucks! I can't believe they let you go to the graduation ceremony and THEN told you that you flunked out! If nothing else, you'd think they would have been a little stricter about not allowing people who flunked to attend graduation.

Please let us know how this turns out. Sounds like you got royally screwed. And I don't often give this advice, but maybe you should hire an attorney.

I spoke to dean of students and he told me to wait for the official letter that he will send out this week. He said at that Time i will have to appeal the decision. Then they will decide an appropriate remediation measures for me. Hope this will bring more light to my case and perhaps more hope as well. Thanks.

Don't take this lying down, it seems as though the preceptor probably didn't like you and failed you which shouldn't be allowed. If i were you i would state that and show how well you have done on other rotations, grades, etc.
Most likely they will let you remediate or do something to make it up. If they don't then get a lawyer and have the lawyer contact them and i'm sure that will spark some attention :D.

I am very scared because after my 4 years of undergrad and 4 years toward the PharmD this was my only hope to become pharmacist and get a job that would put me in a position that would allow me to pay off my debt of $80000. I am very nervous and anxious regarding my situation and inevitabely the thought of comitting suicides crosses my min more often than not. Please give me constructive feedback to overcome this situation. Thanks to everyone.

Keep escalating this issue. In the back of my mind, I'm already thinking "retain an attorney, be prepared to file a lawsuit." They'll probably settle and let you retake the course or just pass you to make the suit go away.

Your school should have given you a policies/procedures manual that should outline the appeals process. Make sure you get everything in writing/document everything. Paper trail is a must.

And please no suicidal ideation, I don't want this thread locked.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't want to take this matter to that point if I get an opportunity to do a remediation rotation. I hope that will be the case!

I don't want to take this matter to that point if I get an opportunity to do a remediation rotation. I hope that will be the case!

I agree, but sometimes you have to wave around the prospect of litgation to get things going/get your way. Just keep that in the back of your mind, and in the meantime, follow your institution's established protocols and contact your allies.

Did you have another student with you on rotation? Also, keep good records and copies of all your work from the rotation.

Oh and stay cool/calm/collected....this is a technical process you're going into, just the facts, any show of emotion will weaken your position.

I agree, but sometimes you have to wave around the prospect of litgation to get things going/get your way. Just keep that in the back of your mind, and in the meantime, follow your institution's established protocols and contact your allies.

Did you have another student with you on rotation? Also, keep good records and copies of all your work from the rotation.

Oh and stay cool/calm/collected....this is a technical process you're going into, just the facts, any show of emotion will weaken your position.

Really? I actually think pulling the "I'll bring my lawyer in" card makes said person look even more absurd. And would only cause the school admins to become even more defensive. There's clearly more to this story that we aren't hearing. But coming to an open forum for advice like this is clearly not the best course of action.

I am a firm believer in the idea that everything happens for a reason. There is a reason he or she gave you terrible marks and I think you need to be a little more honest with us. I'll give you that I'm pretty skeptical of them giving you low grades when you've had many A's, a B, and a C according to you (assuming that is true) but this doesn't sound like someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

response to criticism 3/10, time management 6/10, reliability in assignments 6/10, patient care and safety6/10

Even if you want to ignore the last three, getting a 3/10 for response to criticism can't be a misprint. Since you haven't really addressed it, I would like for you to give me YOUR opinion on those four categories...give us the grade you think you deserve.

It will be very hard for me to feel sorry for you if you think you deserved those grades. You get everything you deserve so if this is a mistake then you deserve a second chance.

According to the policies usually I am allowed to have someone with me at the meeting as a witness, but I wasn't even told about that option. So i dont have any written proof about the prodedure or meetings that took place. I didnt photocopy my graded assignments so i dont have thatproof as well. My interim grade at the emd of the first three weeks was 88% with no issues on my professionalism. I dont know what went wrong in the last three weeks that got my preceptor to change my grade to76% for the final grades at the end of 6 weeks. Please kindly comment on this. Also, I didn't have another student with me at the rotation. Thanks.

Really? I actually think pulling the "I'll bring my lawyer in" card makes said person look even more absurd. And would only cause the school admins to become even more defensive. There's clearly more to this story that we aren't hearing. But coming to an open forum for advice like this is clearly not the best course of action.

That card is only useful if the OP was an A+ student during the rotation and received an F. Otherwise, it's just a matter of how worse you want to make the situation. Do you really want to be known as the pharmacist that sued their way to a degree? I wouldn't.

Geez holy chitzky what is it about this forum that draws the weirdest outlier of pharmacy people that want to suicide for moving out of state, want to drop out after 1 year of prepharm, who flunk an elective, and who quit to be a botany counselor???

Geez holy chitzky what is it about this forum that draws the weirdest outlier of pharmacy people that want to suicide for moving out of state, want to drop out after 1 year of prepharm, who flunk an elective, and who quit to be a botany counselor???

Lulz

Do you really want to be known as the pharmacist that sued their way to a degree? I wouldn't.

Non-disclosure/non-disparaging agreement rider should be added to the settlement paperwork, done and done.

Win-win situation -- OP gets to repeat/pass pharm school w/ no negative commentary, the school sweeps this under the rug and improves their graduation % rate.

I am a firm believer in the idea that everything happens for a reason. There is a reason he or she gave you terrible marks and I think you need to be a little more honest with us. I'll give you that I'm pretty skeptical of them giving you low grades when you've had many A's, a B, and a C according to you (assuming that is true) but this doesn't sound like someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Even if you want to ignore the last three, getting a 3/10 for response to criticism can't be a misprint. Since you haven't really addressed it, I would like for you to give me YOUR opinion on those four categories...give us the grade you think you deserve.

It will be very hard for me to feel sorry for you if you think you deserved those grades. You get everything you deserve so if this is a mistake then you deserve a second chance.

Yes I agree that everything happens for a reason. I made 3 compounding errors. Having said that I compounded over 250 compounds in 30 days and in down time I was required to fill prescriptions, call doctors for refill auth, take verbal orders, etc. some of the procedures written in their compound folders were not complete and left me o follow the steps that were followed by previous p4 students on rotation there. Also, in the interim evaluation I was not given any feedback about my mistakes and how to improve them or expectations off of me after the interim. In fact I got an 88% with no written comments and no issues on the professionalism form as well. So, I was given either a false sense of perception about my performance on the rotation till that point. Usually preceptors dont give good grades for the interim because they want the students to improve and at the final they give the grade one letter grade higher if they improve in the final half of the rotation. So, I think if she really thought that I was going to fail professionalism then I should have been told either verbally or in writing at the interim rather tha failing me at the final. Thanks for your input.

I don't think so...if he's at the end of the process with no avail it's this option or guaranteed failure. Admin would be forced to bring in legal to respond and would be more likely to settle the issue in house. Unless this is a slam dunk case in favor of the school (ie the OP plagiarized, assaulted someone, etc...), of course we don't know the details.

And open forum = Monday night entertainment until football season starts? :confused:

Frog catching dream team! Duck dynasty:smuggrin:

LMAO! what a great show!

Please be respectful of the sensitive nature of this post and make comments that can help me in this situation. Life is unpredictable and this can be anyone, god forbid. Thanks.

Please be respectful of the sensitive nature of this post and make comments that can help me in this situation. Life is unpredictable and this can be anyone, god forbid. Thanks.

Well then be respectful of our time and tell us the real story of how you screwed up and pissed off the preceptor?

Dude, you walked into the hornet's nest that is SDN. Granted, this is no /b/ but if you wanted 100% serious you should watch C-SPAN. Wading through the crap and opinions to pull out the good advice is a learned skill.

Yeah, you should be able to repeat the rotation. I had to do that for my public health rotation. Idiot preceptor gave me a deficiency in the cultural sensitivity part of the rotation and that was enough to torpedo the entire rotation.

All because I refused to approach people on the street during the outreach part of the rotation. I have no problem staying by our table on the street and talk to people who come to me and give out the brochures, but no way am I going to actively approach a random person and say "do you know that 1/30 people in Harlem have HIV?" and then convince them to take a HIV test via mouth swab right there.

Y'all get a room

Im a low tech man in a high tech world! Holy chit that's some funny chit:smuggrin:

Yeah, you should be able to repeat the rotation. I had to do that for my public health rotation. Idiot preceptor gave me a deficiency in the cultural sensitivity part of the rotation and that was enough to torpedo the entire rotation.

All because I refused to approach people on the street during the outreach part of the rotation. I have no problem staying by our table on the street and talk to people who come to me and give out the brochures, but no way am I going to actively approach a random person and say "do you know that 1/30 people in Harlem have HIV?" and then convince them to take a HIV test via mouth swab right there.

How does that make you culturely insensitive? Before I read the second paragraph, I figured you had made a racial or ethnic joke to the wrong person or something like that.

How does that make you culturely insensitive? Before I read the second paragraph, I figured you had made a racial or ethnic joke to the wrong person or something like that.

Looked back, the official wording for that category that I got a deficiency in was "Possesses the knowledge, skills and behaviors required to identify communication tools to accommodate a culturally diverse population."