Got an interview question about what to wear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

09grandsport

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As title suggests. I got invited to my first interview. I got a new suit today which is what im wearing to the faculty interview. My question is about the day before. On thursday theres a tour Dental simulation activity and a dinner with students.

I was planning on wearing slacks and a polo shirt to this and carrying a blazer to put on for the meal what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would keep it business casual. So this would mean a nice pair of chinos, comfortable yet nice dress shoes, and a polo or button up without a tie. It's a very low risk outfit, unless they prefer that you wear a suit. A blazer would work well with grey or khaki slacks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this for VCU? If so, the attire for the ram family introduction is business professional so wear a suit for that

VCU right? youll love the interview there.

I and every other male wore suits. the good thing about a navy suit is you can wear slacks with the jacket and a different color shirt. For the dent sim and dinner, I wore the jacket with slacks and light blue shirt. for the actual interview i wore the whole navy suit with a white shirt.

I would keep it business casual. So this would mean a nice pair of chinos, comfortable yet nice dress shoes, and a polo or button up without a tie. It's a very low risk outfit, unless they prefer that you wear a suit. A blazer would work well with grey or khaki slacks.
you know your stuff, sir

Correct it is VCU...
So what everyone is saying is ditch to Polo and wear a button up shirt bring the sport coat with me for the dinner?

and then obviously full suit on interview day

Correct it is VCU...
So what everyone is saying is ditch to Polo and wear a button up shirt bring the sport coat with me for the dinner?

and then obviously full suit on interview day
Ya.

Don't wear a pocket chain wallet either, one kid did that lol

Reactions: 1 users
I had a similar scenario and just wore the same suit with a different tie, always better to be overdressed than under...just my 2 cents.

I had a similar scenario and just wore the same suit with a different tie, always better to be overdressed than under...just my 2 cents.

So true! Like when I went to VCU, everyone was wearing suits on Thursday and one girl was wearing a dress with open-toed sandals. Definitely better to be over dressed than look unprepared and unprofessional