got an UCLA interview without their numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Margarita

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Well, it does happen and I'm proof of it. Going to interview at UCLA, not quite in their score range, but took the path less traveled lets just say, but neither did I win an olympic gold medal/pen a novel (did you see that olympic gold medalist in their recruitment video...). Guess they saw I was a real human being, made mistakes and had some victories...So, I'm both stoked and stunned, don't want to feel like I have to over-prove myself in the interview, but I can't help but feel like I have to be extra superhuman in the interview now, and I'm really again, just human... any suggestions on what they see in these cases that really pique their interest and do they really take people like me? Read one of the Adcom posts, that some schools interview people without the numbers who they really don't plan on admitting anyway. Please reassure me that this is not the case for UCLA (if you can do so honestly).

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats - it can be done :) Hopefully they will give me an interview soon (even though it is way late in the game) I was stoked to get their secondary . . .

Hi guys,
Well, it does happen and I'm proof of it. Going to interview at UCLA, not quite in their score range, but took the path less traveled lets just say, but neither did I win an olympic gold medal/pen a novel (did you see that olympic gold medalist in their recruitment video...). Guess they saw I was a real human being, made mistakes and had some victories...So, I'm both stoked and stunned, don't want to feel like I have to over-prove myself in the interview, but I can't help but feel like I have to be extra superhuman in the interview now, and I'm really again, just human... any suggestions on what they see in these cases that really pique their interest and do they really take people like me? Read one of the Adcom posts, that some schools interview people without the numbers who they really don't plan on admitting anyway. Please reassure me that this is not the case for UCLA (if you can do so honestly).

I sure didn't have their numbers either (<3.3 GPA), but I got an interview. No one can tell you yet if it doesn't matter, since they haven't sent out any acceptances this year yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the interview --- UCLA looks at the whole applicant and consistently matriculates a well-rounded class. Just be yourself at the interview. :)

Congrats on the interview --- UCLA looks at the whole applicant and consistently matriculates a well-rounded class. Just be yourself at the interview. :)
Yeah especially those "target" students.;)

Hi Margarita, congratulations!!!! Thanks for taking time to encourage others too. It's really nice of you. Good luck!! I agree, just be yourself and don't overcompensate. You seem really nice from your writing style so I'd hate to see that lost and not shine through because you were too tense or put too much pressure on yourself.

I was just wondering.. are you talking about Geffen or Drew?
And had you already filled out a secondary and were just waiting for an interview? Or did they just give you a secondary for the first time recently?
Are you in-state or OOS?
And.. I hate to ask.. but are you URM? (I'm guessing not, but I'm Asian and in-state so I had to ask..)

And if it's true that some schools interview people they have no intention of taking.. I would just ask, why???? I mean.. from a cost benefit analysis standpoint it seems like a losing situation for them. All they get by inviting applicants to submit a secondary is 100 or so dollars.. x let's say the 200 extra applicants they invite who are not going to be seriously considered, that's only $20,000. Isn't that chump change for med schools? Not to mention just mean for applicants who really want to go to that school?

And if it's true that some schools interview people they have no intention of taking.. I would just ask, why???? I mean.. from a cost benefit analysis standpoint it seems like a losing situation for them. All they get by inviting applicants to submit a secondary is 100 or so dollars.. x let's say the 200 extra applicants they invite who are not going to be seriously considered, that's only $20,000. Isn't that chump change for med schools? Not to mention just mean for applicants who really want to go to that school?

actually, a cost benefit analysis would show that inviting random people that they have no intention of accepting would result in increased revenue, because people like me, who have no shot of getting an interview will be like "hey, that one guy/gal on sdn got one with stats like mine, why not try?" 5000 other applicants will probably do something similar - after all, isn't it just a "crapshoot" anyway? (it isn't)

for those who got a ucla interview without their numbers, can u post yours?>
Thanksss

To the OP, congratulations on your interview. I think its wonderful when med schools invite people who dont "have the numbers." Good for you :thumbup:

You may find this blog interesting. Its written by a UCLA med student is very very funny and also used to be/still is? on the admissions committe. I believe he wrote in his blog that the thing he looked for in interviewees was how genuine they are. I found that really interesting. Anyway here is the link, its a smashing good read and might give you some insight:

http://ahyesmedschool.blogspot.com/