Got disqualified for juvenile cataracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strider_91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the chances for a waiver approval for the army national guard for a history of cataract surgery 20 years ago?

I know a history of cataract surgery is usually not waived, but I am wondering if exceptions will be more likely to be made for a medical student as the army cannot train physicians on their own?

For any physicians on this forum this is the exact note from my ophthalmologist
1. Anisometropic Hyperopic Astigmatism
2. Satus Post Bilateral Cataract Extraction with PC/IOL extraction (in 1997)
3. Intermittent exotropia

correctable vision to 20/20 in both eyes, full stereopsis. Slip lamp exam shows normal structures and dilated fundis exam is within normal limits. I also was told by the optometrist during my dodmerb that I passed her exam for everything she check.

The only thing I got disqualified for after my dodmerb was "d153.90 a history of or current opacity of the lens, including cataract." My waiver is currently being processed and the wait is killing me.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the chances for a waiver approval for the army national guard for a history of cataract surgery 20 years ago?

I know a history of cataract surgery is usually not waived, but I am wondering if exceptions will be more likely to be made for a medical student as the army cannot train physicians on their own?

For any physicians on this forum this is the exact note from my ophthalmologist
1. Anisometropic Hyperopic Astigmatism
2. Satus Post Bilateral Cataract Extraction with PC/IOL extraction (in 1997)
3. Intermittent exotropia

correctable vision to 20/20 in both eyes, full stereopsis. Slip lamp exam shows normal structures and dilated fundis exam is within normal limits. I also was told by the optometrist during my dodmerb that I passed her exam for everything she check.

The only thing I got disqualified for after my dodmerb was "d153.90 a history of or current opacity of the lens, including cataract." My waiver is currently being processed and the wait is killing me.

You should be able to get the waiver. It's happened before.

You should be able to get the waiver. It's happened before.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the waiver. Not sure why they would give it to someone else and not me but I guess they have their reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I didn't get the waiver. Not sure why they would give it to someone else and not me but I guess they have their reasons.

Granted I haven't seen nearly everyone, but I have never seen a waiver for a history of cataract extraction.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Granted I haven't seen nearly everyone, but I have never seen a waiver for a history of cataract extraction.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yeah I'm pretty butthurt about it I'm not going to lie because my vision is perfect with glasses. I spoke to the waiver authority via email and he told me that it's a directive which comes directly from the surgeon general; they really aren't comfortable taking people who have had the extraction no matter what their level of visual acuity is. I guess they aren't comfortable with the slightly higher Rick of glaucoma/ retinal detachment from trauma.