Got flooded out and stuck in uber for 3 hours. Ok to ask hospital to reimburse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linkin06

We are all witnesses.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just came back from an interview for a private practice job. They were very generous and offered to cover travel expenses including airfare, lodging, and transportation. They had asked if I would like to rent a car vs uber, and I thought it easier to uber around than worry about parking in the city. I interviewed Friday and then was going to get a feel for the city, explore some Saturday, and then and fly home in the evening around 6:30. Around four yesterday, I called for an uber thinking I would get to the airport easy (about thirty minutes to airport). It had been raining heavy off and on all day, but as soon I started to call for the uber it started pouring like crazy. By the time I got in the uber with my girlfriend, the streets were starting to flood. Ten minutes in, everything was completely effed. Then all the roads ceased to be of any use. The water was up to the bumpers. We sat in the car for 3 hours waiting out the storm. By the time I reached the hotel to pick up my luggage it was four hours on the uber. It ended up costing over $100. I obviously missed my flight and had to book a hotel emergently for the night and catch a crack of dawn flight and got up at 430 am. Do you guys think it's too much to ask for reimbursement? Added shots from my uber for effect.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 156
If they agreed to cover travel expenses, send them all your receipts. If you take the job you can all laugh about it later....interview from hell.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's only like $100, I wouldn't whine about it.

Reactions: 3 users
You could ask, but the group might be like, "oh god, this guy is a cheapskate that is going to nickel and dime every expense forever..."

Reactions: 1 user
I would first contact Uber themselves. They are very responsive and good about charging you only for what the ride should cost (for instance, I have had Uber drivers get lost, end up ringing up a fare 2x what it should cost, but then easily get it brought down by contacting Uber).

If they will not reimburse you, I wouldn't sweat it. $100 in the grand scheme of things won't make or break your bank account, but if it's a job that could potentially work out, it may be viewed as being weird that you asked for reimbursement from them. Not worth risking it IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Odd. These days Uber explicitly gives you the price up front. I didn't realize they would still retroactively change it in case of traffic like they could a few years ago.

Unless you don't want this job, I don't see any way this is worth it.

It's $100 dude. It shouldn't be hard to figure out that it's worthless in the grand scheme of things.

I just came back from an interview for a private practice job. They were very generous and offered to cover travel expenses including airfare, lodging, and transportation. They had asked if I would like to rent a car vs uber, and I thought it easier to uber around than worry about parking in the city. I interviewed Friday and then was going to get a feel for the city, explore some Saturday, and then and fly home in the evening around 6:30. Around four yesterday, I called for an uber thinking I would get to the airport easy (about thirty minutes to airport). It had been raining heavy off and on all day, but as soon I started to call for the uber it started pouring like crazy. By the time I got in the uber with my girlfriend, the streets were starting to flood. Ten minutes in, everything was completely effed. Then all the roads ceased to be of any use. The water was up to the bumpers. We sat in the car for 3 hours waiting out the storm. By the time I reached the hotel to pick up my luggage it was four hours on the uber. It ended up costing over $100. I obviously missed my flight and had to book a hotel emergently for the night and catch a crack of dawn flight and got up at 430 am. Do you guys think it's too much to ask for reimbursement? Added shots from my uber for effect.
1 Bite the cost

2 Go somewhere else other than New Orleans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno...if $100 is such a big deal to the group after they agreed to pay your interview expenses, maybe you don't want to work with them. They need to make a good impression too.

The car was trapped in the ghetto...my gf and I didn't feel comfortable getting out right there. I guess I will swallow it, just ****ty luck.

If it were a hospital employed position, I would say let em pay (you would be mortified at what the administrators will "expense"). If PP and you want the job, try to work with Uber to get the price adjusted.

If they agreed to pay it, then give them the receipt. How much would a rental have cost for two days I the middle of the week? Probably the same.
I am with nimbus on this one. On principle. In good faith, you can see if uber will adjust first.
It's not about nickel and diming if they agreed to pay. It's a business expense.

In my part of the world, you'd let it slide ... unless you didn't want the job

In my part of the world, you'd let it slide ... unless you didn't want the job

So you'd dump a guy because his cab fare was $70 too much after he tried to save you money on a rental? Through no fault of his own?
Interesting.
Do you penalize the guy that books the 800 flight when you suspect he should have been able to find one for $400?

--
Il Destriero

So you'd dump a guy because his cab fare was $70 too much after he tried to save you money on a rental? Through no fault of his own?
Interesting.
Do you penalize the guy that books the 800 flight when you suspect he should have been able to find one for $400?

--
Il Destriero
Nope - because no one here would pass the bill on after the department generously offered to pay your expenses to come interview. But if you did it'd be considered poor form. It's a cultural thing

On hiring side, it would make zero difference in my decision making.

I can see how some might worry about it, but that is chump change for an interview. We spend more on appetizers.
As an applicant, if a group is worried about that tiny expense, you can find a better job.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Those of us who live in New Orleans know what to do in this situation- kayak to the nearest bar for a beer. If you want to work here you'll need to learn to do the same.

bayou-beer-garden-kayak-flood.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Nope - because no one here would pass the bill on after the department generously offered to pay your expenses to come interview. But if you did it'd be considered poor form. It's a cultural thing

The Uber fare is an interview expense. It was the cab fare to the airport. How is that poor form? Or are you suggesting you would have arranged a car service for him and he shouldn't have any additional expenses?
I'm curious how the cab fare isn't an interview expense. He didn't take a 3 hour tour of the city and surrounding area, he got stuck in the car on the way to the airport.
We've dropped thousands on visiting professors, etc. I don't see how cab fare matters at all.

--
Il Destriero

$100 should mean absolutely nothing to the group. If it does there may be a problem with the group. I assume you're a resident or the money shouldn't mean much to you either. The group stands to make hundreds of thousands of dollars off of you if you're on a partnership track or its an AMC job.

I totally gave my airport ride receipt to the hospital I interviewed that was 80 bucks. Didn't think twice about it since they told me to rent a car and give them the receipt for reimbursement. But since the rentals were sold out I used a shuttle service instead. And didn't think twice about turning in the receipt. Because they gave me their word that my expenses were taken care of.
I still got offered a contract. And yes, been an attending for about five years. It's about the principle.