Got in at Columbia, should I interview at NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chops

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out yesterday that I got into Columbia (my first acceptance), and I have an interview scheduled at NYU on Monday. Columbia isn't my first choice, but I'd be happy going there, and I've only heard bad things about NYU (although I heard them at Columbia, so there might be some bias there). If NYU really isn't that great, there's no point interviewing there because I'd go to Columbia whether or not I got into NYU. I live in Washington, so it's kind of a pain (and expensive) to fly to New York if I don't need to. So what do you guys think? Is it possible that NYU is actually preferable to Columbia? Should I bother?

Members don't see this ad.

I found out yesterday that I got into Columbia (my first acceptance), and I have an interview scheduled at NYU on Monday. Columbia isn't my first choice, but I'd be happy going there, and I've only heard bad things about NYU (although I heard them at Columbia, so there might be some bias there). If NYU really isn't that great, there's no point interviewing there because I'd go to Columbia whether or not I got into NYU. I live in Washington, so it's kind of a pain (and expensive) to fly to New York if I don't need to. So what do you guys think? Is it possible that NYU is actually preferable to Columbia? Should I bother?

Since Columbia is not at the top of your list... I say go!

dont waste your money on a second trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stick with Columbia...at the end of the day you save money and come out with a better education! Congrats!

i was interviewed at both Columbia and NYU. I must say I was more impressed with NYU clinics than Columbia. And also, I dunno how you feel about taking classes with med students but that kinda turns me off. However, if you are planning to specialize i would say just go Columbia because you have a better chance there.

btw... NYU provided the best lunch out of all the places that i interviewed.. :laugh:

NYU provided the best lunch out of all the places that i interviewed.. :laugh:

That's funny. :) haha.... i thought i'd be the only person who'd really care about how good the food was at each interview. :)

you kinda answered your own question there.... I'd say it's not worth the money.... save your money and a trip to nyc again. :)

Save some cash and go to columbia.

YES- GO TO NYU and interview and get accepted and go there so you can open a spot for me at columbia.
Thanks

NYU would be at the top of everybody's list if it weren't so expensive. I was very impressed by the school when I interviewed there. In the long run if money is the primary deciding factor then Columbia will be far cheaper. If you want to be a better clinician though NYU will prepare you better than Columbia. Columbia operates on the basis that you will be practicing in New York where you are required to do a GPR before you are licensed, so they expect you to obtain a large portion of your experience in your GPR. At NYU the class will be large so if you require coddling through your classes then that may be a problem, but from what I hear and saw there were adequete faculty in clinics to assist the students.

Do some research on here about NYU and you will find most of the rumors are false and the school is top notch, but you pay for it and you pay to live in New York.

It all depends on your financial situation... I shadowed a recent NYU dentist and he said the only time things were bad was the first time you do a procedure. After you are trusted, its much better.

I agree. If NYU was as cheap as my state school I'd be flying there no doubt because I was actually really impressed with their facilities. However, due to the huge difference in tuition price, 60 grand vs 18 grand a year, I didn't even think about NYU.

I agree. If NYU was as cheap as my state school I'd be flying there no doubt because I was actually really impressed with their facilities. However, due to the huge difference in tuition price, 60 grand vs 18 grand a year, I didn't even think about NYU.

Couldn't agree more! State schools in NY come out to 200K for me. I dont see how anyone can figure that NYU is worth 200K more than most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both schools. I was impressed at the newest clinical facility at NYU, and their food as well. :)
I loved the general atmosphere in NYU better than columbia.

Having interviewed at both places, I would say you definitely should go. In the grander scheme of things, it's really not that much money to make sure you end up at the right school for you. As mentioned about, NYU was far more impressive than Columbia. If you thought Columbia was nice, you're in a for an awakening when you check out NYU. The only real downside to NYU is the price tag and, to some, the large class size.

NYU would be at the top of everybody's list if it weren't so expensive. I was very impressed by the school when I interviewed there. In the long run if money is the primary deciding factor then Columbia will be far cheaper. If you want to be a better clinician though NYU will prepare you better than Columbia. Columbia operates on the basis that you will be practicing in New York where you are required to do a GPR before you are licensed, so they expect you to obtain a large portion of your experience in your GPR. At NYU the class will be large so if you require coddling through your classes then that may be a problem, but from what I hear and saw there were adequete faculty in clinics to assist the students.

Do some research on here about NYU and you will find most of the rumors are false and the school is top notch, but you pay for it and you pay to live in New York.

Does it mean one doesn't need to pursue GPR after NYU? I believe one had better or must pursue GPR if he/she wants to practice in New York.

I didn't go to my NYU interview
they rescheduled me twice to come to their interview

if you say columbia isn't your top choice, then don't sell yourself short and not go to the NYU interview. Sure another flight ticket/hotel might be expensive, but who knows, you might end up liking NYU.

if you say columbia isn't your top choice, then don't sell yourself short and not go to the NYU interview. Sure another flight ticket/hotel might be expensive, but who knows, you might end up liking NYU.

i totally agree! i've been to both schools, and i was lucky enough to do all of my new york school interviews in one trip. i went to columbia before nyu and columbia wasn't my top choice until i interviewed at other schools, including nyu. even though i can give you a lot of good reasons why you should pick columbia over nyu, everyone has a different opinion about every school so going to the nyu interview might give you a better perspective about columbia (whether you end up liking it more or not as much as nyu) and help you make a better decision. good luck!

I interviewed at both schools. I was impressed at the newest clinical facility at NYU, and their food as well. :)
I loved the general atmosphere in NYU better than columbia.

Ok, I am now genuinely curious- what food did they give you guys?? :p

nyu interview food was definitely better than columbia's. if i remember correctly, i had a freshly grilled salmon caesar salad..soo good! AND there's no limit to how much food you can get (i actually packed a couple of snacks for the plane ride home haha).

Does it mean one doesn't need to pursue GPR after NYU? I believe one had better or must pursue GPR if he/she wants to practice in New York.

Regardless of where you go to school you need to do a GPR if you want to start your professional dental career in New York state. I however don't plan to stay in New York so I rather have better clinical skills coming out of school.

They have a food court that is very impressive. Major impressive. You select your raw piece of salmon or steak and they grill it for you and put it on salad or rice etc. Thats just the grill station. There are many different stations. It expensive obviously since its fresh, but that day you can get anything you want and unlimited amount with a free voucher.

The food WAS great at NYU. Can't imagine having to eat there everyday without putting a huge hole in my wallet.

They have a food court that is very impressive. Major impressive. You select your raw piece of salmon or steak and they grill it for you and put it on salad or rice etc. Thats just the grill station. There are many different stations. It expensive obviously since its fresh, but that day you can get anything you want and unlimited amount with a free voucher.

I spent about $20 on lunch according to the cash registrar and it was all fantastic and free to me, but I will be bringing my lunch there everyday.

straight up the lunch you get there is worth the trip alone :thumbup:

I interviewed at both and I really liked NYU as well I feel it gets ALOT of bad flak on SDN, and the only flaw I see of the school is the brutal price tag.

NYU has an advanced placement where you can spend part of your 4th year working in a specialty clinic which is really cool. I think if you tend to get lost in the system or are not very self motivated NYU with its large class size could hurt you, I can see how its possible to get lost in the shuffle.

However, clinics are really nice esp the specialty clinics :eek: beautiful. Plenty of faculty in the clinics and a good atmosphere.

I think if you can you should make the trip, if its going to cost you like a grand to check it out then you might want to think twice. But if you can take care of yourself and afford the price tag then I think NYU is a really good school.

However, at Columbia with the pass/fail/honors I feel it tends to get people working together, while NYU seems a bit more cutthroat.