Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Got in? Give your stats.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Refuter, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Refuter

Refuter Member

Hi people.

I was wondering if any of you who have gotten acceptance letters would possible be nice to post your stats (GPA, MCATS, anything else) anonymously if you want to keep that info private. It would just be nice to know what do real people get to get in. I have heard a lot about Averages and Statistics, but its interesting to learn of real cases.

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jewel

jewel Member

I guess I'll go next...
    3.99 cumulative GPA
    4.0 science GPA
    B.S. in Dietetics/Nutrition in May 1999
    MCAT--10V,9B,8P
    Held offices in Student Dietetic Association and was active member for 4 years, involved in various other extracurriculars, volunteered at hospital for a total of about 150 hours, presently work as research associate. Hope this helps. Good luck.

4. Ngoc

Ngoc Junior Member

3.6 Cum. GPA
    3.5 Science GPA
    11-V, 10-PS, 13-BS, Q-Writing
    lots of activities and part-time jobs during college.

5. fyock

fyock Junior Member

I had a GPA of 3.8 and a MCAT 0f 27 (V was 11, Bio 8, Phy 8). I was accepted to MUSC back in December. I worked as a CNA for two years, volunteered in a med clinic in the Philippines, and taught English in China.

6. Pegasus,

I'm so glad you are on this forum. Your candor on a variety of topics is really appreciated. You are an inspiration to other aspiring physicians. Thanks for sharing your triumphs and struggles. You will be an excellent physician one day. [​IMG] You're almost a MS II [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. PaddingtonBear

I am waitlisted at SUNY Buffalo and NYU, I was accepted into SUNY Downstate.

GPA: 3.7
    MCAT: 24 (7PS, 8BS,9VR)
    Had great recommendations, lots of clinical experience and was Phi Betta Kappa so I think that helped me overcome my low MCAT scores.

8. Hallie

Hallie Member

Pegasus,

Thanks so much for posting your scores. The fact that you did so will really give inspiration to other applicants, and also indicates how much you trust others on this board since it is your first time posting them. I am so sorry to hear about your mother, but so happy to see that you have turned such a terrible experience into something that will enable you to have a more positive impact on the lives of others. I really admire you. GOOD LUCK!

-Hallie

9. Zero Cool

Zero Cool Senior Member

Not much to write home about but,

CGPA: 3.5
    SGPA: 3.6
    MCAT: 6V, 10P, 10B

I think what I had going for me was as follows:

BS in Electrical Engineering (the school that accepted me has a high number of engineers accepted)
    Did Post-Bac work at Harvard
    Did cardiovascular research at MIT
    Had great letters of recommendation

Other than that nothing special...Did not belong to any Honor Societies or hold any offices. This was my third time around....maybe that showed motivation.

10. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Hello everyone. First off all, I hope everyone out there is doing well in this crazy process. I've enjoyed reading the posts on this board for many months now, and I thought I'd toss in my two cents on this topic.

I have fared far better in this process than I ever would have expected to, and hopefully what I've learned about the process can help some of you in the future.

First of all, my stats are not astronomical (GPA, 3.7; MCAT 31). I started out not knowing what to expect, just as we all do. Today, I've been fortunate enough to be accepted by 10 of the 23 schools to which I applied so far. I know that seems like a lot of schools to apply to, but I have been out of school for 2 years now, and although I certainly don't feel "old," I did want to do everything possible to make sure I would not have to apply a 2nd time.

In college, I was president of my a cappella group. I was also director of the regional herpetological society for 2 years. No, not herpes. [​IMG] Herpetology is the study of reptiles and amphibians. I have also been breeding snakes on a fairly large scale for the past 10 years.

Throughout school, I also worked as many hours as possible to curb the debt incurred by my parents, who have had some rough financial times in the past decade or so. Partly this was due to a debilitating and rare spinal cord condition that afflicts my mother. I chose to postpone applying to medical school at the traditional time to work for my father's small business, which was in very serious trouble at the time of my graduation. In just over a year, and with some really hard work, we were able to turn that business around. Since the end of that first year out of school, I have been doing paid work as a research assistant at a major academic medical center.

In retrospect, apart from grades, I think the real strengths of my application lie in my extracurricular and work activities. I cannot stress enough how important my life outside academics was to my interviewers. Don't be afraid to get out there and get involved in something that interests you! Hell, I've been breeding snakes most of my life because they interest the hell out of me. But what does that have to do with medicine?! [​IMG]) If you have real interests, go with them. Just be able to talk about them in an intelligent and interesting way when the application process gets going.

Finally, I know many have said it before, but I will say it again: get everything in as early as you possibly can. If you are sure medicine is what you want, there are no good excuses for procrastination at this juncture. And believe me, in college I got an A in a graduate-level procrastination course. I had my AMCAS in in early June, and as secondaries rolled in, I had each one of them back to the school within one week. With this approach, out of 23 schools, I received 17 interview invitations.

I feel so fortunate when I look back at the uncertainty of one year ago. It is so amazing to think it was a full year ago that I was pouring over material for the April MCAT. What I want to get across to all of you out there who will be applying or reapplying, is that it does not take super stellar "stats" to get into medical school, no matter what you may hear or read on TPR, for example. [​IMG] Just be focussed, get stuff in quickly, and pursue your personal interests, no matter what they are! They will only serve to make you a more interesting applicant when the adcomms are voting to accept you!

Good luck to everyone out there.

-Keyser

11. Christiangirl

Christiangirl Banned
    Banned

Keyser, great and inspiring posts!! You too Pegasus!! What school is blessed enough to have you in its class next year Keyser? [​IMG]

12. lestat

lestat Member

GPA: 4.0 (Double Maj. Electrical Engr/Bio.)
    MCAT: 10V, 14P, 11B Writ-P
    Lots of extrac. and clinical/research exp.
    Study Abroad as well.

6 acceptances.
    Good luck!

13. Christiangirl

Christiangirl Banned
    Banned

Hallie, since you have done so well in getting accepted, do you mind posting your stats? Also, are you URM or no?

14. jimi

jimi Senior Member

keyser!

I think I met you at GW back in September!!! Remember we took a mini-tour of the city (saw the constitution)....

Wow! It's a small world after all!

Congrats on all your acceptances!!!

15. Hallie

Hallie Member

Hmmm...I sort-of hate posting stats publicly because I think it can over-emphasize the value of grades & scores, but I wouldn't mind sharing them with you over email. Unfortunately, neither of us has our email address on our profile...how can we get this to work?

In answer to your other question, I am not URM, but I have had after college experiences (mostly not related to medicine). Furthermore, though I have been fortunate enough to receive good news from some schools, I have also not received interviews from other equivalently ranked schools. I don't mind, though; I just feel lucky to be going somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Hallie (edited 03-16-2001).]

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Medigirl

Medigirl Member

I got accepted to University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. I got interviews at 80% of the schools I applied to, and here are my stats:

3.7 cum GPA
    3.6 science GPA
    30 MCAT (9V, 10P, 11B, R=writing)
    BS in molecular biol. from University of
    Washington
    Honors program
    Phi Beta Kappa

Outside of school, I did the usual pre-med stuff: worked in medical research, volunteered at a hospital, etc. I also had some personal experiences with medicine in my family, which I wrote about in my personal statement. I think an applicant's statement is a great way to get a foot in the door. Several interviewers told me they liked my statement b/c it seemed very "real" and did not sound like many others.

18. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Hey Jimi!

You are absolutely right! We did indeed take a little mini-tour of DC together back in September. Any idea how our third tour-mate has made out? Thanks very much for the congratulations, by the way. How have things been going for you in the application process (although I'm sure I don't even have to ask)?

Oh, and Christiangirl...I wish I had an answer for your question right now. [​IMG] I'm unbelievably lucky to have a choice at all, but that certainly doesn't make that choice any easier. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Best of luck to everyone!

-Keyser

[This message has been edited by Keyser Soze (edited 03-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Keyser Soze (edited 03-16-2001).]

19. Hallie

Hallie Member

Hi Christiangirl! I have all the hope in the world for you - I think that you can find a silver lining however things work out. Of course, I think you WILL get in this year but, if you don't, it will give you a fabulous excuse to do something wonderful next year. You could try something different and daring - that you've always thought about doing - and you can rationalize it to yourself that it will make you "unique" to adcoms. Take the MCAT again if you need to, but focus on really enjoying yourself. When you do end up at school, you will be one of the students who truly keeps in mind why you are there, and you will not get upset with the long hours like people who have had it "too easy" might be inclined to do. GOOD LUCK! (I'll email my stats to you). =)

-Hallie

20. Refuter

Refuter Member

Wow, this is great guys. Although its still hard for me to imagine getting in, with my grades and still to take mcat in April without being ready, but I see that some real people do get in. Thanks for responses.
    By the way, this site should make an anonymous survey for people for stuff like this. Its interesting to know that people other than "Average" or "super good" do actually get in.

21. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie

Okies...

I got into UTMB, interviewed at 4 of the 5 schools I applied to (all in Tx).
    MCAT: 11-8-11 O (BS-PS-V)
    GPA: Cum: 3.67 Sci: (according to them): 3.45

Ive been REALLY involved in a LOT of stuff at school over the last 4 years, including director of an acapella group (our CD is coming out in April!), founding member of interfaith council and student diversity committe, Im an RA, have been a TA, etc etc...not too much clinical, but I had 2 years of research at TCOM.

Thats pretty much it, I think

Smiles,
    Star

22. biophysicsbadass

biophysicsbadass Junior Member

Hey guys,
    So far I've been hearing about people with decent GPA's and below par MCAT scores getting in, but what about people with lower GPA's and stellar MCAT scores? Has anyone gotten in in this scenario? If so please post your stats and other circumstances that would have affected your admission. It would be of a lot of help to me. Thanks!

23. cobalt

cobalt Junior Member

3.35 GPA
    33 MCATS (10 P,11 B,12 V,Q)
    - not stellar, but enough to get me in.
    also had a good deal of research, abstracts submitted, and I believe fairly good recs.
    my GPA for the first two years was under 3, and i managed to average a 3.8 for the next two.
    i don't know how this would fly in california, though.

24. Becket

Becket Senior Member

Attending Physician
    mojo-

yes

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Senior Member

PIYO AND HALLIE,

I meant to email you guys personally, but you dont have your email's available.

Anyway, thanks so much for your positive responses. I honestly thought I would get alot of negative posts back, but you guys have made my day!

Now, back to the UNC/Penn State game..GO UNC!

------------------
    ~Pegasus~

26. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member

GPA-3.9 (both sci and non-sci)
    MCAT-9V,11P,11B,S

No school organizations, barely any clinical/community service (<100 hours), but lots of teaching/research/work experience (I want to go into academic medicine).

2 acceptances out of 4 interviews out of 15 secondaries.

27. ithinkso

ithinkso Junior Member

COBALT.
    hi uhm just a question you are from nj right?? can you send me a email?? just want to ask you about few things
    [email protected]

thanks

28. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pegasus: YOU ARE AMAZING. I truly admire what you have done with your life. You are a source of hope for me!! I have a similar situation as yours (no details), and reading your post really put things in perspective for me. One question, I am interesting in more info. on Chapel Hill. How much of their student body comes from out of state?

Congrats on your acceptance, after what you've been through and how you've managed it so well, you deserve every bit of happiness you have worked so hard for.

29. Pegasus

Pegasus Senior Member

Praying4MD,
    Thanks for your post. It did take a lot of hard work, and I truely believe that if you really have a passion for something in your life that if you work hard enough, you will achieve it!
    Most of UNC's applicants are in state, and therefore, many of the students are NC residents. There are several out of staters that go here, but I am not sure what their stats are. I am pretty positive that the GPA and MCAT scores are looked at to be higher than the average applicant. Several of my friends actually moved to NC to gain residency status before applying b/c they liked the program so much.
    I am away from school right now, doing my community week with a physician. Feel free to email me with any questions and when I get back to school, if there is something that I dont know off hand, I can find out for you.
    Also, at bookstores you can find statistics on the avg MCAT and GPA and acceptances of out of state students.

Hope this helps,
    Pegasus

30. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pegasus: Thanks for the info. on Chapel Hill. I would definitely like to keep in touch with you and will probably bug you with some questions via email. All this after the stress of the April MCAT is over, of course. Anyway, thanks again and good luck.

Smiles,
    praying4MD

31. guy104

guy104 Member

3.5 gpa biological engineering, 2 c's organic, 2 c's gen chem, 2 c's physics, 1 c thermodynamics, science gpa 3.23. last two years of school, 3.8 gpa. 1st mcat 10v 8p 6b, 2nd mcat 9v 8p 7b, 3rd mcat 10v 11p 10b.

32. autumnchai

autumnchai Member

Guy104~

How did you get your MCAT score to jump so much the third time around?

33. BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon curmudgeon

First time college dropout. 2.9 overall, 3.4 BCPM. 36-38T August MCAT.

[This message has been edited by BlueFalcon (edited March 23, 2001).]

34. spacecadet22

spacecadet22 Senior Member

cum GPA 3.42
    science GPA 3.4
    MCAT 2nd time (11=v, 11=p, 12=b)
    1st time (9=v, 9=p, 12=b)
    3 abstracts
    Americorps
    Good luck all---I'm surprised I have chose between schools so it can be done! ; )

35. alshepard

alshepard Member

Just accepted to University of Maryland on Friday, Yipee!!

GPA- cum 3.73; BCPM 3.82

MCAT V13-15, P9, B11

Volunteer-American Heart Assoc. BLS instructor, volunteer with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, designed and primary educator for an injury prevention program

Health Care experience-worked in local ED for last 3.5 years first as registrar then as tech. Volunteered in rural family practice and also worked on local ambulance service (EMT.)

Research-independent study and research in improving eyewitness recall in violent and non-violent crimes, presented at a national conference.

Older, married, psych major, grad of a small non-prestigous state school, no state med schools.

Applied 14, interviewed at 5. So far waitlisted at Dartmouth, Albany, Connecticut, and Pitt. ACCEPTED at UMAB!!!

Advice to everyone, be realistic about any shortcomings and make up for it in other areas. Good luck.

36. AP

AP Member

3.3Science GPA
    3.2 Overall GPA
    MCAT - 11V, 10P, 10B, Q
    great recs (7 total)
    research - about two years worth
    one published
    shadowed two docs
    no real medical experience besides that. -
    and, oh yeah - I only applied to four D.O. schools and got into only one - NY. the other three turned my down b/c of lack of medical exposure. And I am aware this is a MD site, so lets not everyone jump all over me here. Lets try and play nice! I could have gotten into some MD schools but I happen to like some of the other things D.O. schools have. Doesn't mean I think any less of MD school, I just happen to prefer one over the other.

37. 4thHorseman

4thHorseman Junior Member