Got into D school, yet worried about failing a class my last semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway470

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Might I add I go to a good undergrad school, and am receiving 2 degrees, but this class is for my science degree. I can still receive the degree if I take the class in the hypothetical summer if I had to.

Title says it all. I got into a d school, yet this semester has been really rough for me with some life events. I'm worried I may not do well enough in 1 class in which I might fail. The class is NOT a pre-req but I was worried that my offer might be rescinded if I fail a class. I haven't failed yet, but I want to know what I should do in the event of a failure? Withdraw and then retake in the summer?

Would I be able to re-take a class in this summer prior to school starting? The class is calculus 2 (nothing to do w D school), I just absolutely have abhorred math growing up. Should I contact the school? Does re-applying to the school really look bad since I already got in and then dropped the ball? Im just feeling all sorts of anxiety right now and need some help. It would be so embarrassing in front of all my peers to say that I got in but didn't meet the requirements last semester :(

Do your absolute best to pass. Study day and night, hire a tutor do everything you can to pass.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a legitimate risk (recension of admission offer). Rainee is right on: if you need this class to graduate in June, it's time to make an all-out effort. Don't even think about reapplying to dental school: costs you a year of life even if you were guaranteed of getting your spot back. Embarrassing is the least of it.

"Might" fail means the ball is still in your court. Think of this as training for D school (which it is) and hit the books HARD. That's about the only thing you can do right now. Oh, and camp out in Office Hours. You can't help but learn more, plus it shows your Prof you are making a true effort and gives them time to see you as a person with a story and not just a name -- better chance they will be on your side if it comes down to a coin flip at the end of the semester.

Edit: PS I personally would not approach the dental school about this unless failure becomes inevitable, and even then not till the last possible minute. With the two degrees, you may be in a grey area with no precedent to guide them. The more time they have to refill your spot, the more certain they are to rescind your offer letter if you don't complete one of the degrees as scheduled. FWIW - just my ignorant opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Okay so I also don't have to turn in my transcript until JULY 31st, yet I can complete the class online in the summer before then (more than a month before in June), do you think that'd be okay if I did that and then submitted my transcript w it on in the summer? I am going to try extremely hard and do all I can to pass before that, but if not I'm just looking worst case scenario.

I had to drop a class after my interviews began but before my admission decision came in (all of my interviews were coming on certain days and this class only met on those days = I was getting penalized on attendance and my instructor was getting annoyed with me).

I emailed the admissions offices, let them know that I was being unable to continue an elective class due to that reason before, and not a single one had a problem with it.

Now, that said, I had more than completed my degree requirements before I had to drop the elective, so I didn't have the complicating factor you do -you said not completing this class can disqualify you from your science degree.

My best advice for you: All hands on deck like @ysrebob said for this class. If you don't beat Calc 2 right now, you will most certainly have to beat it in the summer, and Calc 2 in the summer sounds rough (accelerated pace, less time). You want to be well-rested before starting dental school in the summer/Fall, not exhausted coming off of Calc 2.

Reactions: 1 user
is your dental school acceptance letter contingent upon successful completion of ur degree? When is the withdraw deadline for ur class?