Got into Dental school with out BS or BA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Californian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my question is has anyone got into dental school with out getting a bacholars degree? is it true that most of the school don't even require it?
if true, what school do require BS or BA?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I remember, most don't "technically" require a Bachelor's degree since they will take people after their 3rd year...but we're talking like MAYBE 1-2 students per 100 in the class...

But I could be WAY off...

My dentist doesn't have a BA/BS. Everybody I know that has tried to do that recently has failed though.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I remember, most don't "technically" require a Bachelor's degree since they will take people after their 3rd year...but we're talking like MAYBE 1-2 students per 100 in the class...

But I could be WAY off...

I concur. Every school I have called said they do not take students without bachelor's degrees, even though their website says these students can apply. I am having to take two extra summer courses to get my degree so I am competitive. It is probably smart go get it anyway.

I concur. Every school I have called said they do not take students without bachelor's degrees, even though their website says these students can apply. I am having to take two extra summer courses to get my degree so I am competitive. It is probably smart go get it anyway.

The University of the Pacific in San Fran has a program where you can apply for a 5 year dental program right out of high school (they don't require you to finish a BA or BS) ... But you have to have really good SAT/ACT scores and a really good high school gpa.

I have an undergrad friend finishing up his second year at UOP w/o a degree and another at Michigan.

I'm starting as a D1 this year at Pacific and I don't have a degree. From what I understand, there are about 8 programs that will take people w/o a degree. I applied to all 8 and got 3 interviews out of the 8.

They were NYU, Midwestern, Pacific, Tufts, Case, UNLV, Marquette, and Creighton.

I would say to go for it. My GPA is not stellar (3.4) and I don't have a whole lot of EC but I did decent on the DAT (21,22,23).

Good luck.

SoCalDent, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for when I started a my thread. I am 23 and have an Associates of Applied Science in Radiation Therapy (radiation therapists use high energy radiation to treat cancer patients). But now, I would like to go onto dental school. I of course, am in the midst of speaking to academic advisers as to my course of action. What I plan to do is take all the pre-reqs required by the schools in addition to upper-division courses to rack up well over 100 credits (it might take 2 years) and hopefully do very well on them and the DATs, along with intern/job shadow experience, extracirriculars, letters of recommendation, and so on. Do you think that this would be a good idea/or the right way to go about things? The eight schools you listed are all good schools, especially UoP, so I wouldn't be picky---just happy if I get in. My biggest fear is having to go back to school and start fresh from the beginning and spend another 4 years obtaining a Bachelors in something like biology or psychology. What was your situation like? what did you do? ANY information would be HUMBLY APPRECIATED. THANKS!!

SoCalDent, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for when I started a my thread. I am 23 and have an Associates of Applied Science in Radiation Therapy (radiation therapists use high energy radiation to treat cancer patients). But now, I would like to go onto dental school. I of course, am in the midst of speaking to academic advisers as to my course of action. What I plan to do is take all the pre-reqs required by the schools in addition to upper-division courses to rack up well over 100 credits (it might take 2 years) and hopefully do very well on them and the DATs, along with intern/job shadow experience, extracirriculars, letters of recommendation, and so on. Do you think that this would be a good idea/or the right way to go about things? The eight schools you listed are all good schools, especially UoP, so I wouldn't be picky---just happy if I get in. My biggest fear is having to go back to school and start fresh from the beginning and spend another 4 years obtaining a Bachelors in something like biology or psychology. What was your situation like? what did you do? ANY information would be HUMBLY APPRECIATED. THANKS!!

Well, I'll tell you what I think you can do.
I actually applied 2 years ago. This was after my freshman year in college!!:eek: Crazy, but I am actually really glad I did.

Most of the schools state that you need at least 90 semester units. That means when you matriculate you need 90 units. But to apply it doesn't really matter. So I had about 48 units when I applied. The problem was that in order to take the rest of the necessary units I needed to take summer courses galore, but also needed to study for and take the DAT.

So I tried it and took the DAT before having taken any OChem and only 1 semester of Gen Chem. I only got a 17AA on the DAT. I truely believe this is why I didn't get any interviews that cycle. So the next year I had much more time to study for the DAT and thus did pretty well.

Due to all the classes I took early on, my GPA was not that great (3.2 when I applied) but was apparently good enough.

So for you I would say that you should just go for it. You are probably much more mature than I was at the time (though I was certainly motivated) and I think you can do it. I really believe you can get in after a couple years like you say.

I don't know what kind of classes you have already taken or how many units you currently have, but honestly you really only need to take Bio 1/2, GChem 1/2 and Ochem 1 before you take the DAT.

So having said that, you can take Bio 1 and Chem 1 at the same time. I was able to take Chem 2 and Ochem 2 concurrently (this is very rare though and you will likely need to appeal to do it). If you can do it then you can be ready to take the DAT in 1 year, then apply and finish the rest of your science courses during the admissions cycle.

I would say that you really need to get a solid 21 or above on the DAT w/ no real weak points on any one section.

Good luck to you, you can do it!!!

PM me if you would like me to explain something better or have any more questions.

Well, I'll tell you what I think you can do.
I actually applied 2 years ago. This was after my freshman year in college!!:eek: Crazy, but I am actually really glad I did.

Most of the schools state that you need at least 90 semester units. That means when you matriculate you need 90 units. But to apply it doesn't really matter. So I had about 48 units when I applied. The problem was that in order to take the rest of the necessary units I needed to take summer courses galore, but also needed to study for and take the DAT.

So I tried it and took the DAT before having taken any OChem and only 1 semester of Gen Chem. I only got a 17AA on the DAT. I truely believe this is why I didn't get any interviews that cycle. So the next year I had much more time to study for the DAT and thus did pretty well.

Due to all the classes I took early on, my GPA was not that great (3.2 when I applied) but was apparently good enough.

So for you I would say that you should just go for it. You are probably much more mature than I was at the time (though I was certainly motivated) and I think you can do it. I really believe you can get in after a couple years like you say.

I don't know what kind of classes you have already taken or how many units you currently have, but honestly you really only need to take Bio 1/2, GChem 1/2 and Ochem 1 before you take the DAT.

So having said that, you can take Bio 1 and Chem 1 at the same time. I was able to take Chem 2 and Ochem 2 concurrently (this is very rare though and you will likely need to appeal to do it). If you can do it then you can be ready to take the DAT in 1 year, then apply and finish the rest of your science courses during the admissions cycle.

I would say that you really need to get a solid 21 or above on the DAT w/ no real weak points on any one section.

Good luck to you, you can do it!!!

PM me if you would like me to explain something better or have any more questions.

This is NOT the norm, and is actually horrible advice to give out. You bascially won the lottery, a one in a lifetime chance. From the stats you gave out, you are a below average applicant. It's amazing you got interviews to 3 schools without a degree and a below average gpa, and a horrible first DAT score. A second score of 22/23 and a 3.2 gpa with no degree? You are the luckiest person I've ever met lol.

I'd say, if you're thinking of applying earlier, save yourself the money if you don't have a gpa of 3.7+ and 21+ on the DAT. As for the DAT, the majority of the orgo section is from Orgo II...so I wouldn't take the advice of just taking Orgo I. Orgo I was just simple naming and introduction to simple SN and E reaction mechanisms...kinda like a Bio 101 of organic chemistry.

This is NOT the norm, and is actually horrible advice to give out. You bascially won the lottery, a one in a lifetime chance. From the stats you gave out, you are a below average applicant. It's amazing you got interviews to 3 schools without a degree and a below average gpa, and a horrible first DAT score. A second score of 22/23 and a 3.2 gpa with no degree? You are the luckiest person I've ever met lol.

I'd say, if you're thinking of applying earlier, save yourself the money if you don't have a gpa of 3.7+ and 21+ on the DAT. As for the DAT, the majority of the orgo section is from Orgo II...so I wouldn't take the advice of just taking Orgo I. Orgo I was just simple naming and introduction to simple SN and E reaction mechanisms...kinda like a Bio 101 of organic chemistry.

Easy there tiger. It may be horrible advice, but it is horrible advice that he asked for. The guy who asked me the question is obviously looking to get in as quick as possible. From personal experience I know it is far from impossible.
Where did you take Orgo I, University of Phoenix?

So for clarification, when dental schools say they want bachelor's degrees, what they're really saying is that you must graduate before matriculation if you are accepted?

So for clarification, when dental schools say they want bachelor's degrees, what they're really saying is that you must graduate before matriculation if you are accepted?

Yep.