Got into one school, but not sure if I want to go....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pico61

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in need of some advice. I got into one school out of state. I am a Cali resident, but have been rejected by many schools already. I was not going to apply to this out of state school, but I did, and I interviewed and just found out I got in. However, I have to help my parents out so I am not sure I can move to another state. What it look bad if I declined the acceptance and took the mcat again and reapplied? Has anyone does this? Damn, I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

A few questions:
Is this a temporary or long-term help? Could you defer for a year and then go to med school?
How do you have to help your parents out? If it's financially, you probably won't have time in med school to work, no matter where you go. And if it's to help take care of a family member, how do you know you'll get into a med school near your parents next time?
Have you asked your parents what they think? Do they want you to stay if it means giving up med school for awhile?
Please, don't make any hasty decisions. There are plenty of us cali residents depending on out-of-state schools.

studentstudent said:
A few questions:
Is this a temporary or long-term help? Could you defer for a year and then go to med school?
How do you have to help your parents out? If it's financially, you probably won't have time in med school to work, no matter where you go. And if it's to help take care of a family member, how do you know you'll get into a med school near your parents next time?
Have you asked your parents what they think? Do they want you to stay if it means giving up med school for awhile?
Please, don't make any hasty decisions. There are plenty of us cali residents depending on out-of-state schools.

It was financially here and there but they are elders so I have to help moms out with stuff. I am a little older so I wanted to stay in Cali. I don't want to give up med school for a while. I am just wondering if looks really bad declining an acceptance in lieu of trying to stay closer to home. I am sure I can work hard and get into a Cali school.

Members don't see this ad :)
pico61 said:
I am sure I can work hard and get into a Cali school.

Aren't we all, though? I have heard (more than once) that 80% of Californian medical students go to med school outside of California. If I were you, I would take the acceptance, as long as the distance from your family isn't unbearable. Good luck either way :thumbup:

SanDiegoSOD said:
Aren't we all, though? I have heard (more than once) that 80% of Californian medical students go to med school outside of California. If I were you, I would take the acceptance, as long as the distance from your family isn't unbearable. Good luck either way :thumbup:

I agree, working hard (& even great stats) isn't a guarantee to a california school. you have six months to decide, so good luck.

you could try deferring for a year if the school will let you.
-mota

DaMota said:
you could try deferring for a year if the school will let you.
-mota

Good idea. Some schools DO NOT allow you to re-apply while defering, so be sure that you don't screw yourself over by doing that. :luck:

Look. If you want to go into medicine and you're already a non-trad, you should take the acceptance. There are programs out there to help out elders with their normal day-to-day things like shopping, etc. Try talking to their church. If they knew your situation, they'd be thrilled to help! (speaking as someone who doesn't go to church... but if they don't go to church, talk to the neighborhood church.)

You have until May 15 to finally decide. Take the acceptance, see what you can set up. Don't make hasty decisions this early.

ShyRem said:
Look. If you want to go into medicine and you're already a non-trad, you should take the acceptance. There are programs out there to help out elders with their normal day-to-day things like shopping, etc. Try talking to their church. If they knew your situation, they'd be thrilled to help! (speaking as someone who doesn't go to church... but if they don't go to church, talk to the neighborhood church.)

You have until May 15 to finally decide. Take the acceptance, see what you can set up. Don't make hasty decisions this early.

That's good advice. Y'all are right in that he should take the acceptance for the simple fact that if he declines now he is not guaranteed one the next time around. His parents being elderly is definitely an issue (especially depending on the culture). But there are so many "FREE" programs that churches often run to help out the elderly in the neighborhood. I really hope he investigates them so that he can pursue his dreams and even possibly use what he will accomplish to help them.

great advice that you and the rest of the people here gave

Here's the thing. Even if you lived with your family and went to school across the street, the reality is that you can't always be there for them. You'll be up to your nose in books in M1-2, and practically a ghost in M3. It sounds like your family needs a more permanent solution, so it might as well be solved now instead of in a year or four.