1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Got into one school, but not sure if I want to go....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pico61, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. pico61

    pico61 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2004
    Messages:
    122
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am in need of some advice. I got into one school out of state. I am a Cali resident, but have been rejected by many schools already. I was not going to apply to this out of state school, but I did, and I interviewed and just found out I got in. However, I have to help my parents out so I am not sure I can move to another state. What it look bad if I declined the acceptance and took the mcat again and reapplied? Has anyone does this? Damn, I don't know what to do.




    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. studentstudent

    studentstudent Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2005
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    0
    A few questions:
    Is this a temporary or long-term help? Could you defer for a year and then go to med school?
    How do you have to help your parents out? If it's financially, you probably won't have time in med school to work, no matter where you go. And if it's to help take care of a family member, how do you know you'll get into a med school near your parents next time?
    Have you asked your parents what they think? Do they want you to stay if it means giving up med school for awhile?
    Please, don't make any hasty decisions. There are plenty of us cali residents depending on out-of-state schools.
     
  4. pico61

    pico61 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2004
    Messages:
    122
    Likes Received:
    0
    It was financially here and there but they are elders so I have to help moms out with stuff. I am a little older so I wanted to stay in Cali. I don't want to give up med school for a while. I am just wondering if looks really bad declining an acceptance in lieu of trying to stay closer to home. I am sure I can work hard and get into a Cali school.
     
  5. SanDiegoSOD

    SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Messages:
    2,794
    Likes Received:
    8

    Aren't we all, though? I have heard (more than once) that 80% of Californian medical students go to med school outside of California. If I were you, I would take the acceptance, as long as the distance from your family isn't unbearable. Good luck either way :thumbup:
     
  6. studentstudent

    studentstudent Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2005
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    0
    I agree, working hard (& even great stats) isn't a guarantee to a california school. you have six months to decide, so good luck.
     
  7. drmota

    drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2005
    Messages:
    2,596
    Likes Received:
    1
    you could try deferring for a year if the school will let you.
    -mota
     
  8. SanDiegoSOD

    SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Messages:
    2,794
    Likes Received:
    8
    Good idea. Some schools DO NOT allow you to re-apply while defering, so be sure that you don't screw yourself over by doing that. :luck:
     
  9. ShyRem

    ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2004
    Messages:
    9,798
    Likes Received:
    126
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Look. If you want to go into medicine and you're already a non-trad, you should take the acceptance. There are programs out there to help out elders with their normal day-to-day things like shopping, etc. Try talking to their church. If they knew your situation, they'd be thrilled to help! (speaking as someone who doesn't go to church... but if they don't go to church, talk to the neighborhood church.)

    You have until May 15 to finally decide. Take the acceptance, see what you can set up. Don't make hasty decisions this early.
     
  10. riceman04

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2005
    Messages:
    8,505
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Medical Student

    That's good advice. Y'all are right in that he should take the acceptance for the simple fact that if he declines now he is not guaranteed one the next time around. His parents being elderly is definitely an issue (especially depending on the culture). But there are so many "FREE" programs that churches often run to help out the elderly in the neighborhood. I really hope he investigates them so that he can pursue his dreams and even possibly use what he will accomplish to help them.

    great advice that you and the rest of the people here gave
     
  11. Iwy Em Hotep

    Iwy Em Hotep The Welcomer
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2004
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    6
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Here's the thing. Even if you lived with your family and went to school across the street, the reality is that you can't always be there for them. You'll be up to your nose in books in M1-2, and practically a ghost in M3. It sounds like your family needs a more permanent solution, so it might as well be solved now instead of in a year or four.
     

Share This Page