Got into PA school and MD school. HELP?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PA here and half-DO. I don't have kids and don't plan to so take that FWIW. I do have a very understanding and supportive (and very independent) long-distance husband--and med school and the opportunity costs of this long training, particularly after more than a decade of solid earnings, has been a real strain on us.
Still, this is what's right for me. Those of you who are lambasting the honest soul who couldn't work "under somebody" his whole career--you will never understand it if you haven't done it. I hit the glass ceiling about 3-5 yr into practice and it is very real indeed.
Also, OP, you must consider how deeply you want to know medicine. If you are comfortable with a fast and broad survey of medicine and quick training for lesser up-front costs and a quick return on your investment, PA is a great career--but be prepared to learn A LOT on your own those first several years out.
If you cannot be satisfied as a dependent provider and need to know the minutiae that separates PAs from physicians, go to med school.
You are being offered a difficult gift. Either way you win something; either way you lose something else. Best wishes in making the best choice for you and your family.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go MD. It's hell enough and having two kids and a wife will make it even more of a nightmarish hell, but I'd still do MD.

But I've never known love. I do know though that the statistics for successful marriages already aren't good and that there is a good chance your wife will leave you while you are in medical school maybe even during the beginning of residency. I wouldn't worry too much about your 2nd child, but the first one is different. While he/she may be okay from like 3-5, it may start getting real rocky after that when he/she starts developing enough cognitive capability to start processing things like, "Why does Jimmy's dad do everything with him and my dad is always busy and gone?"

That would be funny though if you choose PA for your family and then your wife ends up leaving you and your kids end up hating you anyways.

In medicine "changing specialties" is not equal to sub specializing. If what you're saying is true then every cardiologist has changed specialties because they all train via IM.

Sub specializing : general ortho to spine.... switching? Ortho to ent.

Sub: IM to IM subspecialty... anesthesia to anesthesia sub specialty. Switching? Surgery to ER

Obviously. But the argument isn't so much on the technical definition of "specialty" as it is about the concept of changing your field. This can be done even without additional training (i.e. only taking certain types of cases).

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely PA. MD isn't worth it if you want to have a normal lifestyle, spend time with your family...

definitely PA. MD isn't worth it if you want to have a normal lifestyle, spend time with your family...
docs in my group work 12-14 eight-nine hr shifts/mo for around 325k/yr
pa's work 16-18 ten to 12 hr shifts/mo for 125k or so.
who has a better lifestyle and more time with their family?
(ps pa's work all the nights.....)

Obviously. But the argument isn't so much on the technical definition of "specialty" as it is about the concept of changing your field. This can be done even without additional training (i.e. only taking certain types of cases).

With the MD you can go deep and subspecialize, and this takes 1-2 years and you can change specialities which takes 3-7 years of additional training.

The PA can switch specialities as soon as he/she can find a job (well emedpa has pointed out it is still difficult).

The change in field is more quick as a PA than MD, if the PA can find a job that is. This is one of the main points when I was stating that PAs have more flexibility. I know full well that MDs can switch specialities since my dad went from psychiatry to neurology doing two full residencies back to back. However, the problem is the time factor (one is wasting about half a decade to do this change).

Time of education and training is a large thing to consider when choosing between the two occupations.

In medicine "changing specialties" is not equal to sub specializing. If what you're saying is true then every cardiologist has changed specialties because they all train via IM.

Sub specializing : general ortho to spine.... switching? Ortho to ent.

Sub: IM to IM subspecialty... anesthesia to anesthesia sub specialty. Switching? Surgery to ER

Yup, my point exactly. Going from specialty to subspecialty isn't changing fields. Subspecializing is common. Changing fields is not.

How can a doctor change fields without additional training?

Yup, my point exactly. Going from specialty to subspecialty isn't changing fields. Subspecializing is common. Changing fields is not.

:thumbup:

Exactly the point I wanted to make.

You guys really like exact verbiage huh? You know what I was arguing. As a doctor, your day to day life can be drastically different simply by you changing what types of patients you accept. It can also be different based on what hours you work. The notion that your career is static unless you go through hell and back simply isn't accurate for an MD, nor for a PA. This even includes deciding to take up research, which is something PAs can't as readily do. All of these things are flexibilities that may not be as "marketable" for a PA to have, and thus are less possible. You have more control over your career destiny as an MD, hands down.

go MD, but be prepared to lose your family

Absolutely not true. It is tough on relationships but many people have kids before and during med school/residency and do just fine. Don't get me wrong, your spouse is going to have to make a lot of sacrifices and often take more than his/her fair share of the housework/childcare from time to time. 1st and 2nd year you'll have a more flexible schedule but after that it's pretty crazy. Even 4th year you'll travel around for interviews. Discuss it with your spouse and see what kind of sacrifices he/she is willing to make. Yes, you have to work hard in med school (as well as PA school but it's not as long) but your SO has to give up a lot as well.

your single example means nothing

15 days a month? yea... that's if youre ER maybe, who are known to have among the lowest hours worked per week

Yeah sorry EM is a very specific and extreme example. The combo of no call, total shift work and low total hours in EM makes it completely different from almost every other specialty. I could fire back at you and say take a look at surgical PAs and surgeons and tell me who has the better lifestyle/time with family.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I bet very few doctors do this. I'm sure there are stats somewhere. I'd guess under 5 or 10%.

Actually know at least 2 attendings who have done this. One was an orthopod and retrained over here in IM-->Nephro because of how difficult it was to match ortho. Talk about a change lol.

Yeah sorry EM is a very specific and extreme example. The combo of no call, total shift work and low total hours in EM makes it completely different from almost every other specialty. I could fire back at you and say take a look at surgical PAs and surgeons and tell me who has the better lifestyle/time with family.
The surgical pa's I know arrive an hr before the surgeons every morning to round, spend all day in clinic or o.r. , stay after the surgeons leave to d/c pts from the hospital and take 1st call to the e.r. for new consults. sure there are surgical pa's who only do clinic but many work 80 hr weeks for their entire career....docs hire pa's to do the work they don't want to do at the times and places they don't want to do it so THEY can be home with THEIR families....nights/weekends/holidays/early am/inner city/rural/prisons/etc

I considered becoming a PA or AA because it would be easier, but once I shadowed an anesthesiologist, I knew I couldn't settle for anything below MD/DO. I did not want to become a perpetual first-mate. Life's a marathon, not a sprint. Could I be happy working as a PA/AA? Maybe, but I think I would always have the nagging feeling I should have gone the distance. I've spent 18 years of my life in school, what's another 4 for med school and 3+ for residency, really?

The surgical pa's I know arrive an hr before the surgeons every morning to round, spend all day in clinic or o.r. , stay after the surgeons leave to d/c pts from the hospital and take 1st call to the e.r. for new consults. sure there are surgical pa's who only do clinic but many work 80 hr weeks for their entire career....docs hire pa's to do the work they don't want to do at the times and places they don't want to do it so THEY can be home with THEIR families....nights/weekends/holidays/early am/inner city/rural/prisons/etc

Agree with EMED here. I also did EM(and I am biased) but for the most part I worked the shifts that the docs didn't want. I made a lot(and slept a lot) but the docs were making more then me and were getting paid I think 15-20 bucks/hr to sleep while I worked.....so take that for what it is worth.

I personally went back to school because of multiple things(in no particular order):
1.)You do hit the glass ceiling as Prima mentioned. I hit it and I had to say I can't do this anymore. I was getting bored with my career but I was very very happy at what I did.
2.)Sick of having multiple attendings refuse to let me talk to them to transfer patient's. One of those almost was a bad outcome and that was one of the final straws.
3.)I wanted to be the top dog. As a Physician your never the "top dog" because someone is watching over you but I wanted to be as unrestricted as possible in my career.
4.)I love to learn and I feel like that going into medical school what the perfect place for me to learn as much as possible.
5.)I was/am sick of explaining to everyone what a PA is lol. This one is like the least important but it was a mildly annoying

I know this thread has pretty much run it's course, but I wanted to throw another wrench in the OPs plan. Many are saying go PA for the family related stuff. While I don't necessarily disagree, I will say that I am a father of 3 and my wife is very supportive. We are stronger now in our relationship than we have ever been and I didn't think it was possible. I am very active in my kids' lives, and I hold a class leadership position as well as leadership in clubs. I am not number one in my class, but I am about average (slightly above maybe). It is possible to balance everything in school and still be a good husband and father.

I was in a similar situation. I started med school with a 3-year old, and my husband was really supportive and excited. I ended up getting divorced while studying for Step 1 (still pulled off a score over 240, btw). It's impossible to explain how much med school takes out of you and how tough it will be on your family. Even the first two years will change you in ways you can't imagine.

I'm currently in the middle of third year rotations, desperately trying to see my son whenever I can. It's incredibly hard, but I still love medicine. I would have been miserable and resentful as a PA. Being an MD will allow me to research and publish and possibly shape the future of healthcare.

My advice is this: go MD if you cannot possibly do anything else with your life. It is so very hard to do with a family; you need to be absolutely sure. You also need to sort out your priorities, be 100% realistic with your wife, and become amazing at time management. If you can tolerate the prospect of being a PA, it's probably the better choice.

I am sorry to hear about your divorce. May I ask was everything good up until a certain point? Did the long hours of studying just wear on your relationship?

I am a newly wed considering a career change, and although it would be a few years of prereqs before, it is scary to hear that divorce can occur because of school. PM me if you don't wish to talk about it on here. Thanks.

You guys really like exact verbiage huh?

Well, yeah, especially when your verbiage means something inaccurate. Your original point that doctors often change specialties without further training isn't true. I think there are many who would point that out so that OP isn't swayed by it when making this important decision.

MD. I'm watching a significant number of married, older med students starting families, and they all seem fine. Even have a former PA student in class, who once turned down an MD acceptance for PA school, and then decided against it after a year of PA school. Not hearing any regrets yet. I have met few doctors who don't have kids and hobbies. We have had so many talks by faculty and grads on how to handle balancing having a family and being in medicine. There are tons of ways to make it work.

Actually know at least 2 attendings who have done this. One was an orthopod and retrained over here in IM-->Nephro because of how difficult it was to match ortho. Talk about a change lol.

Why was the orthopod trying to match ortho?

Moving to pre-allo.

If you look around enough, you will find people who are happy and people who are unhappy in every field. The vast, vast majority of doctors I have interacted with in med school have been happy with their lives and have been able to balance their family life. Nobody can tell you where YOU personally will be happiest, but going into medicine definitely does not doom you to a life of sadness.

That would be funny though if you choose PA for your family and then your wife ends up leaving you and your kids end up hating you anyways.

I like the way you think. :laugh:

I considered becoming a PA or AA because it would be easier, but once I shadowed an anesthesiologist, I knew I couldn't settle for anything below MD/DO. I did not want to become a perpetual first-mate. Life's a marathon, not a sprint. Could I be happy working as a PA/AA? Maybe, but I think I would always have the nagging feeling I should have gone the distance. I've spent 18 years of my life in school, what's another 4 for med school and 3+ for residency, really?
+1.

Amen. I'm choosing medical school over PA so I don't have to look back and think... what if.

OP, have you considered podiatry?

One of my parents is a podiatrist and one is a cardiologist. Both have their own practices, have privileges in the same hospital, work similar amounts. Both are well-respected in the community and have had very successful careers. Both are heartbroken that I chose MD over DPM. They've never tried to influence my career choice at all until they found out I was applying to medical school and they begged me to do DPM because 1) the compensation is better for podiatrists with balanced practices than for many medical specialties and some surgical specialties, 2) malpractice insurance is a fraction of the cost, 3) less debt coming out of school, 4) only 3 years of residency, and 5) QUALITY OF LIFE. The cardiologist in my family is miserable. Compensation for cardiologists is plummeting, as it will for other specialties over the coming decade. Being on call takes a bigger toll than I think people realize. And the patient populations are different -- the podiatrist in my family sees a broad range of people, young and old, healthy and sick, virtually all of whom are delighted to see a doctor who can take away their pain. The cardiologist sees mostly older and much sicker patients, some of whom are grateful and some of whom are resentful of what they perceive to be unwanted interference into their lives. The cardiologist is paid less to work more for patients that are sicker and less appreciative. The podiatrist has a more flexible and predictable schedule, rising compensation, and happy patients. Also, I'm only partly joking when I say that it's pretty hard to kill a patient if you're a podiatrist.

To the haters who might say podiatry is inferior, that just hasn't been my experience. It's less competitive to get into podiatry school but podiatrists are doctors who can operate and prescribe and practice in every state. Their training is virtually identical to that of MDs and DOs, with the benefit of extra training in their specialty from day 1. In my community, they get no less respect than any other doctor. The limitations are that practice is relegated to the foot and ankle, and there are fewer research opportunities. If you can live with those limits, it might be worth considering.

To get back to your original question about PA versus MD, I will reiterate what many other posters have said -- it's a very personal decision that largely depends on your priorities for when you begin to practice. There are happy PAs and unhappy PAs, as well as happy MDs and unhappy MDs. The PAs I work with are, as a group, happier than the MDs I work with, but for all I know they might have started out that way. They get paid less but they also work less and are generally not liable in the same way a physician is. They are amazing problem solvers and the patients and clinic staff appreciate them immensely for that. Every PA I know is happy to be a PA and would encourage those who are interested to pursue that career. It's a great career and the demand for PAs is likely to explode over the coming years. I'd say it's a pretty good option.

Personally, if I thought I could be happy doing anything other than allopathic medicine, I would run with it. But I have the same weird sickness as so many other people who post here -- I've made my choice and no amount of evidence will ever convince me that I am wrong.

If you're even considering PA in a serious way, you should go to PA school. I went because to Med school because I never could seriously consider anything else and maybe this is why I'm happy. I am only a first year, so take this with a grain of salt.

I know this thread has pretty much run it's course, but I wanted to throw another wrench in the OPs plan. Many are saying go PA for the family related stuff. While I don't necessarily disagree, I will say that I am a father of 3 and my wife is very supportive. We are stronger now in our relationship than we have ever been and I didn't think it was possible. I am very active in my kids' lives, and I hold a class leadership position as well as leadership in clubs. I am not number one in my class, but I am about average (slightly above maybe). It is possible to balance everything in school and still be a good husband and father.
thanks for this post. I saw a lot of people telling the OP that going MD = losing your family or getting to spend no time with family. I have a few docs in my family and they all spend a decent amount of time with their kids. My dad worked a lot when I was growing up (over 60 hours a week), but he still made time for me and we've always had a great relationship

relevant article people should check out - http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2012/04/future-medicine-aspiring-young-doctors.html

OP, have you considered podiatry?

One of my parents is a podiatrist and one is a cardiologist. Both have their own practices, have privileges in the same hospital, work similar amounts. Both are well-respected in the community and have had very successful careers. Both are heartbroken that I chose MD over DPM. They've never tried to influence my career choice at all until they found out I was applying to medical school and they begged me to do DPM because 1) the compensation is better for podiatrists with balanced practices than for many medical specialties and some surgical specialties, 2) malpractice insurance is a fraction of the cost, 3) less debt coming out of school, 4) only 3 years of residency, and 5) QUALITY OF LIFE. The cardiologist in my family is miserable. Compensation for cardiologists is plummeting, as it will for other specialties over the coming decade. Being on call takes a bigger toll than I think people realize. And the patient populations are different -- the podiatrist in my family sees a broad range of people, young and old, healthy and sick, virtually all of whom are delighted to see a doctor who can take away their pain. The cardiologist sees mostly older and much sicker patients, some of whom are grateful and some of whom are resentful of what they perceive to be unwanted interference into their lives. The cardiologist is paid less to work more for patients that are sicker and less appreciative. The podiatrist has a more flexible and predictable schedule, rising compensation, and happy patients. Also, I'm only partly joking when I say that it's pretty hard to kill a patient if you're a podiatrist.

To the haters who might say podiatry is inferior, that just hasn't been my experience. It's less competitive to get into podiatry school but podiatrists are doctors who can operate and prescribe and practice in every state. Their training is virtually identical to that of MDs and DOs, with the benefit of extra training in their specialty from day 1. In my community, they get no less respect than any other doctor. The limitations are that practice is relegated to the foot and ankle, and there are fewer research opportunities. If you can live with those limits, it might be worth considering.

To get back to your original question about PA versus MD, I will reiterate what many other posters have said -- it's a very personal decision that largely depends on your priorities for when you begin to practice. There are happy PAs and unhappy PAs, as well as happy MDs and unhappy MDs. The PAs I work with are, as a group, happier than the MDs I work with, but for all I know they might have started out that way. They get paid less but they also work less and are generally not liable in the same way a physician is. They are amazing problem solvers and the patients and clinic staff appreciate them immensely for that. Every PA I know is happy to be a PA and would encourage those who are interested to pursue that career. It's a great career and the demand for PAs is likely to explode over the coming years. I'd say it's a pretty good option.

Personally, if I thought I could be happy doing anything other than allopathic medicine, I would run with it. But I have the same weird sickness as so many other people who post here -- I've made my choice and no amount of evidence will ever convince me that I am wrong.
I truly wish I wanted to be a podiatrist. If I had any desire this is what I would pursue. My podiatrist always tries to sell me on it over MD too. He goes on and on about his amazing hours and how he makes more than his PCP friends and works less than they do

If you're even considering PA in a serious way, you should go to PA school. I went because to Med school because I never could seriously consider anything else and maybe this is why I'm happy. I am only a first year, so take this with a grain of salt.

You went to medical school because you were accepted to medical school. You have considered PA school if you were rejected form medical school.

First off, OP, congrats on your acceptances - that's awesome.

Now, for my random internet opinion....

Here's sort of how I might break it down, off the top of my head:

MD

Pros:
-You get to be "the doctor," and all of the oohs and awes that may or may not accompany that status.
-You get to have the final say on your patient (in most cases) without worrying about someone signing off on your charts. You are, more or less, autonomous.
-Having a MD opens doors that would remain closed as a PA, e.g., as others have mentioned you have more of an opportunity to contribute to the field, if that's your thing.
-Regardless of what happens with healthcare, you will be paid more hour-for-hour than a PA (see below for further discussion of this).
-You have more say in pretty much everything. Where you work, how you work, when you work, what you do when your at work, what happens with the patients, etc.
-You get to be the "expert" in your field.
-Larger scope of practice.

Cons:
-Obviously, you will spend at least 11+ years of your life before you are really autonomous (4 undergrad + 4 medical school + 3 years minimum in residency).
-During that lengthy amount of time in training, your time is not your own and your family life may suffer, depending on how you choose to handle this reality.
-Lots of debt.
-Somewhat of a worrisome future with the changing healthcare landscape, but this isn't a dealbreaker if you know what you are getting into ahead of time.
-Unlike PAs, at least for the time being, you cannot just switch specialties "just because." If you are a board-certified practitioner of a particular specialty, you will have a hard time convincing anyone to take you into another residency program. It can be done, but it is not an "easy" process. Regarding the discussion above, all that I will say is that there are many "fields" of practice (i.e. subspecialties) within a particular specialty (i.e. IM), but switching subspecialties DOES NOT equal switching specialties. The former involves fellowships or on-the-job training; the latter involves residencies. Two different beasts. Is it "technical verbiage"? Perhaps. Nevertheless, if we are going to debate things, we must debate using terms that mean the same thing, lest our arguments be, in actuality, over nothing at all. /rant.

PA

Pros:
-Less time in school = more time to make money, practice, etc.
-The educational process is bit less life-consuming, leading to (hopefully) more time with family or to spend on outside interests.
-You can, at least for the time being, switch actual specialties (i.e. spend some time in the ED, then move to surgery, then to derm). This may, as has been discussed above, become a bit more complicated in the future, but will nevertheless pretty much always be easier than starting an entirely new residency.
-You can make good money.
-The changes in healthcare will more than likely lead to an increased demand for midlevel providers = job security for you.

Cons:
-You will always be "under" someone and never completely autonomous.
-Perceived lack of prestige from some physicians and perhaps even your patients
-You are not a doctor.
-You will make good money, but less money than a physician would.
-Smaller scope of practice.

One thing to keep in mind as you make your decision is the changing face of healthcare. Basically, everyone now, or shortly will, have some type of insurance, FWIW. That said, the basic infrastructure (available funds, available practitioners, facilities, other resources) will pretty much remain the same or decrease. In other words, insurance for everyone is awesome, but now more people will try to be seen by the same number of providers. Since the lion's share of the new insurance will be provided through governmental programs, this means that there is more or less the same amount of money available to fund these new "insured" individuals as there is now, which means lower reimbursements for providers. This will translate into a decrease in pay for some of the more high-earning physicians - more or less pay will probably become more "equalized" among specialties, without major outliers (as there are now). This will also mean that aging physicians will try to retire before the brunt of this all hits, and less physicians will be willing to work with those insured by governmental programs. For PAs, this means an increase in demand for their services, since they can do quite a bit of medical stuff for a significantly lower cost and practices nationwide will just need more bodies in general to shuttle patients through.

All speculation. Just things to keep in mind. For PAs, there will always be a demand that I would say will increase over the next few decades. You will get paid less, but you will be comfortable. You will not be a doctor, but you have to decide how important titles and scope of practice are to you. You will have more time outside of medicine to be with your family and do other things. For MDs, you will still always be paid at least a little more, and there will be demand. But the compensation you receive for investing your prime into education will be decreased significantly and the system will only become more difficult to work with.

You went to medical school because you were accepted to medical school. You have considered PA school if you were rejected form medical school.

I think I would have rather applied to PhD programs than PA school had I not been accepted to medical school (I enjoy research). My mother is a nurse, the first thing she said to me when I told her I wanted to go to medical school toward the end of high school was, "you should be a PA, it's not as hard, and you will spend less time in school." For whatever reason I was really turned-off by that and became even more motivated to go to medical school. I just think medicine is right for those who realistically can't see themselves being as fulfilled in any other profession.

I would go MD. It's hell enough and having two kids and a wife will make it even more of a nightmarish hell, but I'd still do MD.

But I've never known love. I do know though that the statistics for successful marriages already aren't good and that there is a good chance your wife will leave you while you are in medical school maybe even during the beginning of residency. I wouldn't worry too much about your 2nd child, but the first one is different. While he/she may be okay from like 3-5, it may start getting real rocky after that when he/she starts developing enough cognitive capability to start processing things like, "Why does Jimmy's dad do everything with him and my dad is always busy and gone?"

lol what the hell....

Anyways OP I've read some inspiring stories about how those who really wanted to make it work with their family during medical school, did it with some very good time management skills. Ultimately though it is up to you and your wife to discuss the final decision and not some strangers over the net. Good luck.

I think I would have rather applied to PhD programs than PA school had I not been accepted to medical school (I enjoy research). My mother is a nurse, the first thing she said to me when I told her I wanted to go to medical school toward the end of high school was, "you should be a PA, it's not as hard, and you will spend less time in school." For whatever reason I was really turned-off by that and became even more motivated to go to medical school. I just think medicine is right for those who realistically can't see themselves being as fulfilled in any other profession.

I currently work as a CNA at a nursing home. Some of the nurses there told me they wouldn't want to be a doctor because of all the extra schooling and responsibilities.

Challenge_Accepted.jpg

:wow:

What the F$#%. :laugh:

You can make it through medschool AND keep a family. You can even do well enough in medical school to match a really competitive field AND still keep your family. My marriage is stronger than ever even with the insane hours I keep as an ortho resident. My kids still like me and everything.

Good luck to you.

PS, I wasn't a PA, but I loved being an NP.