Got into Temple and NYCPM.. Really need some advice on which to choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PodStudent2018?

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like both to be honest. Both are relatively close to home and have decent facilities. I just don't know if I'll be able to handle the hustle and bustle of NYC if I choose to go there. Money is definitely a factor as well. NYCPM has such a high board passing rate and match rate that it makes me think, do a good chunk of students drop/fail out? Compared to Temple's 2017 stats (~81% first time passing boards and 82% first time match), NYCPM's numbers for 2018 blow them out of the water (98% first time passing boards and 100% match). I'm just a little skeptical bc not everything said about NYCPM has been positive. Even the DPM I shadowed (very well renowned) said NYCPM would be the only school he would have some hesitation to choose. He even said his Alma Mater wasn't the greatest school and would prefer students from Scholl, Temple, AZPOD, and DMU.

Members don't see this ad.

Which one is cheaper for you? Can you handle everything Harlem has to offer? I was not interviewed at Temple but a city is a city.
According to NYCPMs site: Class of 2017 Four Year Graduation Rate: 85%, this is probably true for the other schools as well.

If you leave all the stats and number aside, will you be happier living in NYC or Philly?

Reactions: 1 user
I like both to be honest. Both are relatively close to home and have decent facilities. I just don't know if I'll be able to handle the hustle and bustle of NYC if I choose to go there. Money is definitely a factor as well. NYCPM has such a high board passing rate and match rate that it makes me think, do a good chunk of students drop/fail out? Compared to Temple's 2017 stats (~81% first time passing boards and 82% first time match), NYCPM's numbers for 2018 blow them out of the water (98% first time passing boards and 100% match). I'm just a little skeptical bc not everything said about NYCPM has been positive. Even the DPM I shadowed (very well renowned) said NYCPM would be the only school he would have some hesitation to choose. He even said his Alma Mater wasn't the greatest school and would prefer students from Scholl, Temple, AZPOD, and DMU.
Graduating and passing boards is mostly dependent upon the student. I am certain all of the schools give you the tools and education to be successful, so take the numbers with a grain of salt (they fluctuate yearly). I think it is more important for you to attend where you will have the best chance to succeed, the best learning environment, and that will make you the happiest. Second to this I would consider cost of attendance and scholarship offers.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I were in your situation, I would choose Temple, as they have really strong clinicals.

Im not a fan of either city, but I would imagine that New York has more to offer in terms of night life, if that matters to you, though Im sure there is plenty to do in Philly.

Reactions: 1 users
Which one is cheaper for you? Can you handle everything Harlem has to offer? I was not interviewed at Temple but a city is a city.
According to NYCPMs site: Class of 2017 Four Year Graduation Rate: 85%, this is probably true for the other schools as well.

If you leave all the stats and number aside, will you be happier living in NYC or Philly?
I really don't know. NY seems like there's everything in the world to do but I know myself and have had trouble prioritizing and focusing in my undergraduate career. Also I've had friends and family live there for a job and they said they couldn't handle the city for so long without having a break. In Philly I have some cousins that'll be within a 30 min walk from me who are practicing doctors and will be a couple hours closer to home.

If I were in your situation, I would choose Temple, as they have really strong clinicals.

Im not a fan of either city, but I would imagine that New York has more to offer in terms of night life, if that matters to you, though Im sure there is plenty to do in Philly.
Night life is definitely important but I don't want to be super tempted or distracted everyday.

I really don't know. NY seems like there's everything in the world to do but I know myself and have had trouble prioritizing and focusing in my undergraduate career. Also I've had friends and family live there for a job and they said they couldn't handle the city for so long without having a break. In Philly I have some cousins that'll be within a 30 min walk from me who are practicing doctors and will be a couple hours closer to home.

Night life is definitely important but I don't want to be super tempted or distracted everyday.

Had the same concerns you did when applying. Very easily distracted, on top of weak stats. Very picky about health and well being in order to focus.

Off the bat that allowed to me cross of a few programs and rank other ones.

Only you know your weaknesses. What podstar said is dead on. So you need to do everything you can in order to put yourself in the best environment possible to succeed.

Forget the pretty lights and numbers for a minute. Just ask yourself this:
"Where do I need to go, in order to do well in school? Does this place amplify or mitigate my weaknesses? Can I afford to fail?"

For some of us, podiatric medical school is our last shot. I know for me it is. There were a few programs I liked a lot, but I knew putting myself in that environment would result in failure.

Reactions: 4 users
For a comparison, I am from the Boston area and chose Philly to attend. I love Boston, but New York is too much for me in just about every aspect. I found Philly a much easier (less stressful) city to navigate and feel much more comfortable spending 4 years there. Not to mention I got a nice 2 bed 1 bath for 1500/month about 12 mins from campus in a nice/safe area... If you find that in New York, I would recommend playing Fortnite to learn survival strategies.

Reactions: 3 users
100% what Wierdy said. Not all Pod programs are created and run the same.

Can you handle lots of things thrown at you, or would you rather be busy all year long and take one less class each semester? AZPOD might be a better fit, as they are on a trimester/quarter system. What is each school's pass policy? What is the failure policy? Can you realistically get through the program? What is tuition like? Do students end up in high powered residencies? What does this school expect for rotations from you? Is the area safe to walk in? Do you do better in a more college-like environment or a more city like one? Each Pod school I interviewed at had a much diffrent feel.

Other questions to ask: Is faculty readily available when you have questions? Office hours? Open door policy? Are students allowed to participate in research? What is the repeat policy? Were the students collaborative or competitive with each other? Does this Pod school take classes with DOs? Does this school offer tutoring if needed? Does the school have a little big program where upperclassmen show you the ropes, or are you expected to fend for yourself?

Reactions: 2 users
For a comparison, I am from the Boston area and chose Philly to attend. I love Boston, but New York is too much for me in just about every aspect. I found Philly a much easier (less stressful) city to navigate and feel much more comfortable spending 4 years there. Not to mention I got a nice 2 bed 1 bath for 1500/month about 12 mins from campus in a nice/safe area... If you find that in New York, I would recommend playing Fortnite to learn survival strategies.
Lol as a matter of fact I have plenty of fortnite experience. Thanks for the opinion tho

Had the same concerns you did when applying. Very easily distracted, on top of weak stats. Very picky about health and well being in order to focus.

Off the bat that allowed to me cross of a few programs and rank other ones.

Only you know your weaknesses. What podstar said is dead on. So you need to do everything you can in order to put yourself in the best environment possible to succeed.

Forget the pretty lights and numbers for a minute. Just ask yourself this:
"Where do I need to go, in order to do well in school? Does this place amplify or mitigate my weaknesses? Can I afford to fail?"

For some of us, podiatric medical school is our last shot. I know for me it is. There were a few programs I liked a lot, but I knew putting myself in that environment would result in failure.
Great advice. Thanks

Temple and NYCPM were my top 2. Visit both and stay in the area you would be living in.