Got Invited Back for a 2nd Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's official. I just got a call saying they want me to go back for a 2nd interview... when I had interviewed the first time just last week!

Someone please explain the mystery behind this.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe your interviewer passed away before they could make notes? thats my best guess.

I would interpret that to mean that they really desperately want to like you (aka accept you) but you didn't completely sell yourself or hit a homerun the first time. What was your impression of the first interview?

Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
justskipee said:
maybe your interviewer passed away before they could make notes? thats my best guess.

:laugh:

well i cannot disclose the school because the school will know its me. but if you've been reading my gazillion posts last week, you would know the school.

i got asked 40 minutes of healthcare questions.... for example.. what % of the GDP in europe goes toward healtcare? what about in the US? why is there a difference? what would you do to fix the difference? how does utilization play a role in the health care system in europe? etc....

thats how my first interview went. and im sure you know how i did.

theunderdog said:
Yep, it's official. I just got a call saying they want me to go back for a 2nd interview... when I had interviewed the first time just last week!

I think they do this when your interviewers have wildly different impressions of you. So, they bring in a 3rd party to address those disparities. I also believe (based on a LizzyM post this morning and I used to work for an MD/PhD AdCom member) that interviewers make their notes about you very soon after you are finished interviewing with them - hence the quick turnaround. Was one interview bad and the other good? I don't care - but tear up the 3rd one, ya heard!?

theunderdog said:

Ah yes, the infamous interview mulligan.
This question was asked in another forum a couple weeks ago.

The general consensus came up with two options (neither of which involved the interviewer croaking, but a very good answer nonetheless):

1.) If you had more than one interviewer: they had drastically different opinions of you, and need a third. Sort of like interview arbitration.
2.) If you only had one interviewer: they just like screwing with you.

ExtraAverage said:
Ah yes, the infamous interview mulligan.
This question was asked in another forum a couple weeks ago.

The general consensus came up with two options (neither of which involved the interviewer croaking, but a very good answer nonetheless):

1.) If you had more than one interviewer: they had drastically different opinions of you, and need a third. Sort of like interview arbitration.
2.) If you only had one interviewer: they just like screwing with you.

I think it is the latter.

If this is UMDNJ they did this a ton last year although ,I havent seen it much this year. I think its disrpespectful. If there is a problem with the interviewers getting the job done then have two on the interview day instead of having interviewees come back again and spending money to do so.

BOBODR said:
If this is UMDNJ they did this a ton last year although ,I havent seen it much this year. I think its disrpespectful. If there is a problem with the interviewers getting the job done then have two on the interview day instead of having interviewees come back again and spending money to do so.

i agree. i have another interivew the day before this 2nd invite interview. now i have to cancel my ticket... about $400 just to accomodate....

and i only had 1 interviwer... so i don't know what different opinions you guys are talking about.

theunderdog said:
i agree. i have another interivew the day before this 2nd invite interview. now i have to cancel my ticket... about $400 just to accomodate....

and i only had 1 interviwer... so i don't know what different opinions you guys are talking about.

well, since they're asking you back for a second interview, why can't they accommodate you and get you in on a good day for your schedule?

theunderdog said:

hey op,
we will never know the reasons why they called you in for a 2nd one. But I would take it as a positive. They could've rejected you after the first, but are giving you another chance. Either that or your interviewer got hit on the head right after and is a veggie now, so they need to reintervie oyu. I know it sucks to spend extra $400, but remember you final goal: an acceptance to med school. You know what also might be: maybe many students complained about your interviewer and they've decided to reinterview.

Good luck. I hope everything goes weel for you.

mdforlife said:
hey op,
we will never know the reasons why they called you in for a 2nd one. But I would take it as a positive. They could've rejected you after the first, but are giving you another chance. Either that or your interviewer got hit on the head right after and is a veggie now, so they need to reintervie oyu. I know it sucks to spend extra $400, but remember you final goal: an acceptance to med school. You know what also might be: maybe many students complained about your interviewer and they've decided to reinterview.

Good luck. I hope everything goes weel for you.

hey, thanks for your insight. i agree with you completely. i thought the same exact scenarios. im glad about the 2nd chance. this time, i will show them what i am all about.

good luck to you too. thanks.

I think is really embarassing for a school to call back an interviewee. It makes them look imcompetent to interview someone well the FIRST time. Since you're out some money, they should atleast offer to help you out. I think it sucks you have to bear the brunt of this crap because they couldn't come to a conclusion based on your first interview. The onus is on them to help you out, use it to your advantage and be nice about it.

oh that stinks. I would take it as a good thing. I mean, i only had one interview, and was placed on the alternate list... but i highly doubt that was because of my interview. sigh. :(

They only do this if there has been a discrepancy in your file. for example, if half the committee decided that your performance was spectacular but the other half thought you've bombed, then they need a "tie breaker." Sorry, but at least they're giving you a second chance to make your case.