ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
I'll be working as a police dispatcher. I used to run a dispatch center so that's cool. It's an interesting job although I'll probably be tempted to run out to my nonexistent car when the 911 calls come in. So much for the street side of things. I'm going to miss that. I just hope admissions is cool with it. Either way that's what I'll be doing to keep paying the bills.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'll be working as a police dispatcher. I used to run a dispatch center so that's cool. It's an interesting job although I'll probably be tempted to run out to my nonexistent car when the 911 calls come in. So much for the street side of things. I'm going to miss that. I just hope admissions is cool with it. Either way that's what I'll be doing to keep paying the bills.
All the LEOs will be like, "WTF is this male voice crap?"

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
lol

Honestly, men make better dispatchers in my experience.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of dispatchers are women. This could partly be due to their "pleasing" tonality and elocution when speaking. Similar to how GPS units unequivocally always employ a female voice for verbal directions.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
Correct me if I am wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of dispatchers are women. This could partly be due to their "pleasing" tonality and elocution when speaking. Similar to how GPS units unequivocally always employ a female voice for verbal directions.
No. The ones I know all have smoker's voice and weigh in around 200 pounds. You watch too much tv, lol.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
No. The ones I know all have smoker's voice and weigh in around 200 pounds. You watch too much tv, lol.

I don't watch any TV really.

I suppose it's a geographical thing... I am basing my experience on a very limited sample, but I entertained the notion of law enforcement post-Army (Who doesn't?) and did several ride-alongs with CHP, Sac County Sheriff, Sacramento city police, Stockton city police, Davis city police and Solano County Sheriff, and I heard very, very, very few male voices on the dispatch.

Not sure what their weight has to do with it, seems irrelevant. Smoker's voice perhaps is, but weight isn't.

Last edited:

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
My father took me to "Take Your Daughter To Work Day" a few times. I got to ride around with him in his police car and I even saw a hooker for the first time. One of the places he took me was the dispatch center and I got to listen to 911 calls and dispatches right alongside the dispatchers. They were ALL women. I am in Arizona so maybe it IS geographic. My dad sometimes listened to his radio at home just because and I never heard a male dispatcher- only the male voices of the cops returning the calls. I guess I never thought about the fact that more women than men might be dispatchers because of their voices.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
My father took me to "Take Your Daughter To Work Day" a few times. I got to ride around with him in his police car and I even saw a hooker for the first time. One of the places he took me was the dispatch center and I got to listen to 911 calls and dispatches right alongside the dispatchers. They were ALL women. I am in Arizona so maybe it IS geographic. My dad sometimes listened to his radio at home just because and I never heard a male dispatcher- only the male voices of the cops returning the calls. I guess I never thought about the fact that more women than men might be dispatchers because of their voices.
The majority of them are women around here because it's not a position that normally pays much. However, there are plenty of men doing it too. Usually they're the supervisors. I just wanted the job because it involves doing something I already know how to do, plus I already have the certifications and training that allow for it. I can also sit and read between calls.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
The majority of them are women around here because it's not a position that normally pays much. However, there are plenty of men doing it too. Usually they're the supervisors. I just wanted the job because it involves doing something I already know how to do, plus I already have the certifications and training that allow for it. I can also sit and read between calls.
From what I saw, that job looks pretty sweet. You're gonna be set up :)