Got my BS. Got my MPH, Sci Gpa low, back to school for BA?

shantibala

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2008
Status
Hi Guys

I have my MPH completed and i have my BS completed. I had a 2.8 sci gpa from the university but the grades i got in community college bring me down to a 2.5.

I wont get in anywhere with a 2.5

what do you think if i go back to undergrad, pick up a BA in psychology and apply to med?

Thanks

-Shant

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi Guys

I have my MPH completed and i have my BS completed. I had a 2.8 sci gpa from the university but the grades i got in community college bring me down to a 2.5.

I wont get in anywhere with a 2.5

what do you think if i go back to undergrad, pick up a BA in psychology and apply to med?

Thanks

-Shant
In the postbac forum you can find ideas and stories. Look for the New and Improved Low GPA thread and the GPA Enhancement thread. Both are always on the first page.

Do you know about DOs? Same practice rights as MDs, lower admissions requirements.

By my quick calcs, if you take 2 more years of full time undergrad at a 4.0, you can get your cumulative overall GPA to a 3.0. Aiming for higher than a 3.0 with more undergrad is probably not a good plan. You have other options though.

In general, the protocol I've followed on my sub-3.0 comeback is:
1. Take more undergrad until cumulative GPA is over 3.0
1a. Which may not be possible in less than 2 years: in this case 2 years of a 3.7+ might do the trick.
2. Get a very, very, very high score on the MCAT. MD average is 32, so for MD a GPA comeback should have a 35+. DO average is 29, so for DO a GPA comeback should have a 32+. MCAT doesn't fix GPA, but it adds credibility and a number well above average can get you noticed.
3. Apply to good SMPs, which are one year medical masters programs where you do the first year of med school to prove you can do med school. Expensive, intense, and no guarantees. But in a good program, if you're one of the 80%+ who do very well, you start med school within a year.
4. Make sure the rest of your app is amazing. Great activities and jobs and experiences. Stellar LORs. Inspiring essays. You can hire a consultant if needed.
5. Plan to apply very early and very broadly, and plan to spend a lot of money on app fees and hopefully on interview travel.

Best of luck to you.