Got my drivers license revoked...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DKim0116

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be applying to medical school in a year or two.

Is getting drivers license revoked detrimental to my application? Am I doomed for medical school?? :scared:

Life is so miserable...

ok... here's what happened

I got pulled over for cell phone/seat belt during my probationary period. I was in my probationary period b/c I just had passed my road test. I admitted to being pulled over for the cell phone but not the seat belt. Cop gave me a ticket for seat belt b/c I had to remove the seat belt to fetch my wallet to provide drivers license (when the vehicle was parked). I tried to refute it in court (I had sent not-guilty for cell phone) but the judge treated me like a kid and was very condescending and wouldn't listen to a word I tell him. I paid the fine, no points.

anyway, getting involved in two or more violations during probationary period results in drivers license suspension.

Out of suspension then another probie for 90 days I believe.

Recently, I was pulled over for speeding. Anyone who goes to my school will know that NOT A SINGLE driver drives below 45mph on Stony Brook Rd. I was actually surprised to find out that the speed limit was 30mph on such a wide and long stretch of a road.

So I got pulled over for driving 53 on 30 zone. Got 6 points smacked on to my record. And now for having 6 points or more in the last 18 month period, my drivers license is getting revoked.

No I didn't get it revoked from DWI.

Members don't see this ad.

Is getting drivers license revoked detrimental to my application? Am I doomed for medical school?? :scared:

Life is so miserable...

Okay, I gotta ask: what'd you do? It makes every difference as to whether or not it matters for med school, and to be honest, I think we'd all like to know.

Depends on why it's revoked. Medical school isn't going to penalize you for not being able to drive. They may penalize you for drunk driving.

Members don't see this ad :)

Life is so miserable...

The reason it was revoked could be very detrimental to your application.

Does anyone know if this is something that has to be reported? Is it even considered a misdemeanor offense?

I don't think most medical schools would look at you speeding once and using your cell phone while driving once as a reason why your application should be dismissed.

Most applications, right on up to those for medical licensing, allow you to omit reporting minor violations related to driving. Low level speeding, running a red light, etc., these things will not come back to haunt you. DUI, reckless driving, etc., these things will. If you're really worried you should consult an attorney experienced in traffic offenses. Offhand it looks like your problem isn't the nature of your offenses, it's that you racked them up in a short timeframe.

Advice: when you get your license back, drive like a saint.

Some schools will require you to report all driving violations whereby you will need to admit what happened to schools. Most schools, however, will only want you to report misdemeanor and felony charges which I don't think your situation applies to.

Got 6 points smacked on to my record. And now for having 6 points or more in the last 18 month period, my drivers license is getting revoked.

I would apply to a school where you won't need a car. Your car insurance is going to cost more than your tuition.

got pwn3d by suffolk p.d. huh?

You got 6 points for going 20 over?? Wow, thats harsh! Don't they have traffic school where you're from?

Here if you get a speeding ticket you have to waste a day in traffic school in order to avoid points and then just pay your ticket.

Dude don't worry about that then. You don't have to report to the schools about how you lost your license. Go get yourself an ID card from DMV and use that as identification.

I agree with the potential cost of your insurance though. I'd focus on applying to schools in the city... otherwise most places you can live reasonably close to school to bike to class every morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lost my license for 6 months, spent a couple days in jail, and got a reckless driving (Class I Misdemeanor) conviction two years ago, and have still had success this application cycle. Don't let stuff like this bother you, there's bigger things to worry about that stupid mistakes in your past. Just don't try to justify it if it ever comes up--acknowledge fault, show some regret, and move on.

I lost my license for 6 months, spent a couple days in jail, and got a reckless driving (Class I Misdemeanor) conviction two years ago, and have still had success this application cycle. Don't let stuff like this bother you, there's bigger things to worry about that stupid mistakes in your past. Just don't try to justify it if it ever comes up--acknowledge fault, show some regret, and move on.

I am almost in the same situation as you right now. It's been over 2 years since I got a ticket (did not show up in court or pay) so I am thinking there is a warrant out for my arrest (I feel like a bad ***). When you say "success" do you mean that you were accepted to some schools?

OP: you don't have anything to worry about. everything you've described sounds like "minor traffic violations" which would not have to be reported to AMCAS or the schools to which you apply.

keep your nose clean, though! cars are dangerous and kill people every day :)

I am almost in the same situation as you right now. It's been over 2 years since I got a ticket (did not show up in court or pay) so I am thinking there is a warrant out for my arrest (I feel like a bad ***). When you say "success" do you mean that you were accepted to some schools?

a judgment was entered against you; it's surprising that they didn't make you pay when you renewed your registration. or maybe one of your parents got something in the mail and paid it. probably not a huge deal, but you might want to take care of that...

You should definitely resolve that. If there's a warrant, it would only be a bench warrant, I believe, but you should get it taken care of.

When you say "success" do you mean that you were accepted to some schools?

Precisely. I had to explain it in a few interviews, but it didn't seem to be a big problem.

a judgment was entered against you; it's surprising that they didn't make you pay when you renewed your registration. or maybe one of your parents got something in the mail and paid it. probably not a huge deal, but you might want to take care of that...

The thing is, a few months later I was involved in a pretty bad car accident (in the summer that I graduated high school), which was when I decided to go into medicine. The officer that did my wreck never had time to give my license back to my mom at the time, so I went to the DMV and got a copy and have not had a problem since. My mom said that she never paid it. I have not received anything in the mail at all. I got this when I was 18 and a senior in high school.

You should definitely resolve that. If there's a warrant, it would only be a bench warrant, I believe, but you should get it taken care of.
I'm afraid to though. If I pay it, I heard they will still take me to jail. And if I don't, they still arrest me.

Minor traffic violations are really not a big deal for medical school, so I wouldn't be concerned, even though it sucks for right now.

FWIW, 53/30 is different from 45/30, and what you should learn is that if a road is known for being fast there WILL be cops just waiting for kids to blow through. I've gotten pulled over for for both 46/30 and 53/30 and although I managed a warning for both, you won't be so lucky due to your less than spotless record. Regardless, in every state I've driven in the general rule is don't exceed +15, and for you, it's 10.

The thing is, a few months later I was involved in a pretty bad car accident (in the summer that I graduated high school), which was when I decided to go into medicine. The officer that did my wreck never had time to give my license back to my mom at the time, so I went to the DMV and got a copy and have not had a problem since. My mom said that she never paid it. I have not received anything in the mail at all. I got this when I was 18 and a senior in high school.

I'm afraid to though. If I pay it, I heard they will still take me to jail. And if I don't, they still arrest me.

What was the ticket for? They don't generally arrest people for traffic violations...

Are you still in HS?

That sucks about the seatbelt, I think you'll be just fine though!

Minor traffic violations are really not a big deal for medical school, so I wouldn't be concerned, even though it sucks for right now.

FWIW, 53/30 is different from 45/30, and what you should learn is that if a road is known for being fast there WILL be cops just waiting for kids to blow through. I've gotten pulled over for for both 46/30 and 53/30 and although I managed a warning for both, you won't be so lucky due to your less than spotless record. Regardless, in every state I've driven in the general rule is don't exceed +15, and for you, it's 10.

Geez. I've gotten pulled over and given warnings for 35/30 and 45/40 or 50/45 (whichever, it was, it was still 5mph). I generally follow the 5MPH over rule because I've gotten pulled over with that a few times in different states (and in WI, that's about how fast you can go without getting pulled over -- haven't been pulled over here). Lots of cops on the streets and highways.

Never unbuckle your seatbelt until after the cop comes over to your car and asks for your license and registration and clearly sees that you're buckled in.

Doubt it. My dad had a bench warrant against him for a parking ticket that had happened like 20 years before that he had long forgotten. He showed up for jury duty a few years ago, and a sheriff took him aside and told him about it. All he had to do was pay it.

Geez. I've gotten pulled over and given warnings for 35/30 and 45/40 or 50/45 (whichever, it was, it was still 5mph). I generally follow the 5MPH over rule because I've gotten pulled over with that a few times in different states (and in WI, that's about how fast you can go without getting pulled over -- haven't been pulled over here). Lots of cops on the streets and highways.
You have to do something pretty bad to get pulled over by MKE cops - they almost always have something better to do. The sheriff is responsible for the freeway though, and they take down speeders all the time (but just because a squad car is on the shoulder doesn't mean they're clocking people or even anyone in the vehicle).

What was the ticket for? They don't generally arrest people for traffic violations...

It was like 78mph in a 55 or something on I-75....Yeah that's right, the speed limit on that interstate is 55 (4 lanes on each side). I think it's stupid, but I'm pretty nervous about it.

I had my license revoked for forgetting to pay a parking ticket. In NJ if you don't pay a parking ticket, they just mail you a notice that your license has been revoked. I was lucky not to get pulled over, because they mailed it to my parents house, and I was driving on a suspended license for 3 months. Cost about 200 bucks to get it reinstated. Anyway, no issue for med school. They don't care if you are a crappy driver.

our school specifically said that we DID NOT need to report arrests/convictions for "traffic related infractions or misdemeanors"

put it down or don't. If they find it later tell them you didn't think traffic violations counted (a reasonable thing to say), if you feel like reporting it I doubt anyone will care.

It was like 78mph in a 55 or something on I-75....Yeah that's right, the speed limit on that interstate is 55 (4 lanes on each side). I think it's stupid, but I'm pretty nervous about it.

Interstate near cities tends to drop down to 55 mph, and that's exactly where cops will wait for people who are cruising near the top of normal interstate speed. What state was this in?