Got My EMT Certification Now How Do I Use It To Get Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astrife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I'm rather mad at myself currently. I have gone through an entire class at my local CC to get an EMT certification. Well now that I'm starting to inquire about getting a volunteer position as an EMT I am finding out there aren't such positions unless you live in a rural town with it a fire station/EMS and even then you don't have shifts or anything you just carry a two-way radio and wait for it to code which is something a busy college student cannot manage.

I was planning to use this certification to get some clinical experience, but I'm having a tough time with that. What can I do with this certification to gain some clinical experience? Who will take someone with my skills and let me do something that's more than just filing papers?

Any input would be awesome... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked for private services in the area? Granted it's not always as exciting, but you won't be putting your certification to waste and you'll also make some money.

There *are* volunteer organizations around. I was on one that was far far far busier than any paid position I ever had. You have to look for them.

edit: I should also say I was on a volunteer fire department which certified me as a state level II firefighter, certified arson investigator, incident command, etc. etc. I was also on a volunteer ambulance service - this is the one that was busier than any paid position I ever had. While I was with that volunteer ambulance service it went combination paid/volunteer and expanded dramatically. It is widely viewed as a very desirable place to work in its area and most people have no idea it's half volunteer (and can't tell the difference between the paid and volunteer staff). The volunteers are also appreciated greatly by the organization and the paid and volunteer staff work together extremely well and with great respect for each other. I have often come to the conclusion that this particular volunteer ambulance company is an anomaly -- no egos, no spitefulness, just folks working together doing what they love to do and getting a great deal of respect from within and outside the organization. I miss them greatly. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Agent Splat said:
Have you looked for private services in the area? Granted it's not always as exciting, but you won't be putting your certification to waste and you'll also make some money.

I worked the night shift for a 'private' service through school. mostly emergent cases. We did have a contract with a level 1 trauma ER and peds er. Shop around, b/c the case load for EMS companies varies unbelievable.

No matter what company you end up working for, you'll get great clinical experience. I also worked for a private service that did all nursing home, va, and dialysis runs. Kind of boring, but lots of pt contact and some emergencies as well.

good luck!

I should have clarified I am not looking for an actual paid position. I need a volunteer position at most. I just don't think I can maintain good grades and work at the same time.

astrife said:
I should have clarified I am not looking for an actual paid position. I need a volunteer position at most. I just don't think I can maintain good grades and work at the same time.

Even part time?

I worked 1-2 shifts per week. If you work nights, you can sleep or study while you get paid.

Multi-tasking!

I got lucky. The town my college is in has a volunteer fire department. Through the department, you can take the EMT class free. Until you finish the class, you can "observe" and go on ambulance rides. After you finish the class, you actually get to do the stuff. I am starting next semester. I'm excited :)