Got My First Rejection Letter --- From A School I Didn't Apply To!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got this in the mail today from University of Nevada at Reno:

Dear Applicant,

The University of Nevada School of Medicine has received your application for admission. We must notify you, however, that we will not be processing your application.

Please be advised that in order for your application to be considered, you must be a resident of Nevada. Your application indicates that you do not meet this residency requirement. Additionally, you do not meet the out-of-state applicant residency criteria wherein a small number of out-of-state applicants are considered who have a strong residential tie to Nevada, who are from the bordering states within the medical catchment area for Nevada, or who are residents of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming.

I wish you good fortune in accomplishing your goal toward a career in medicine.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Hug-English, MD
Assistant Dean for Admissions

At least my first rejection letter is from a school I wasn't expecting much from anyway - considering, you know, that I NEVER APPLIED...

Members don't see this ad.

that's hilarious.

but it makes me worry that schools that i AM interested in aren't getting my AMCAS info. had you given any thought to contacting that school to find out how and why they thought you were interested?

Yeah, if you get a chance, PLEASE call Nevada and ask them what the deal is. Let us know what they tell you. This if funny, but DOESN'T bode well for the integrity of the AMCAS system.

Woah! Did I just use the words "integrity" and "AMCAS" in the same sentence? Now THAT's funny. Hmm... is there bourbon in this coffee...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I will be calling UNR Monday morning - I'll let everyone know what their response is.

Hey rxfudd! I too received this rejection letter today without having applied. What is going on? :confused:

Hey guys...I got a rejection letter from Nevada today, too and I didn't apply there either!!?? Maybe AMCAS thought it would be funny to do this to applicants from Chicago!!
I'm not laughing.

don't forget that i got a secondary from michigan state in the mail, and i never applied to them. i called and they said i wasn't in their records. weird.

This is a definite worry. You better ask AMCAS if your application was sent to the wrong schools in place of the ones that were suppossed to be sent to the correct schools.

You need to verify with the schools you applied to to see if they have recieved anything. I would start the converstaion explaining about the rejections from the school you didn't apply to. That way they can see there is a definite reason behind your call and that you just aren't being anxious. Good luck.

Very strange that it seems to be affecting Chicago applicants only (anyone NOT from Chicago get one?)...

Looking on the bright side, I'm glad that I didn't actually apply to UNR. I would've been rejected on the spot.

On the downside, what Amy Beth says could be true - I'm calling Monday.

By the way, how do they know that I don't have a strong residential tie to Nevada? I imagine this is the sort of thing you would include in a secondary essay (certainly not the primary AMCAS essays...). They don't even give an applicant a chance to state whether they have a family/spouse/career/etc in Nevada.

i'm from chicago and DIDN'T get a letter from nevada. but it's still weird that there is some kind of chicago connection.

hey rxfudd, keep us posted on what they tell you when you call....

I don't think they're big on "ties". They're super strict about residency with the exception of WICHE applicants which (rolls eyes) are special 'cause they have no school. In fact, I think they're so strict they just send rejection letters out to the entire nation just to be safe.

Hey Rxfudd.

So did you call Nevada? I'm dying to hear what they said. Well maybe not DYING, but you know, curious...

I tried calling AMCAS this morning - waited on hold for 25 minutes and then got disconnected. I can't call tomorrow because I'll be at the ACS Fall Nat'l Convention all day - I'll keep you updated!

Originally posted by rxfudd:
•I can't call tomorrow because I'll be at the ACS Fall Nat'l Convention all day - I'll keep you updated!•

Hey, while you're there, check out "The Advent of Maxima in Directed Ortho-Metalation." It's my research being presented as a poster. (It's in section orgn, if that helps) Let me know if you check it out. I'm the last author. :)

I'll be there again on Thursday, Jamier - I'll definitely check it out!

racergirl, ACS Fall Nat'l Convention = American Chemical Society Fall National Convention.

I went to some inorganic lectures today, a lecture on medicinal chemistry, and an analytical chem presentation. I found it amusing that their 4-letter abbreviation for analytical is "ANYL" so that there aren't signs all over that read "ANAL". At least someone's thinking over there.