Got my Mcat score back!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got my mcat score back and I'm happy with it but cars is big bummer for me. I got a 508 with scores 128/123/128/129. I have a gpa of 3.8 and over 1000 clinical hours and 300 clinical research. Do you think I stand a chance at any MD school? It doesnt really matter to me what school but I'm aiming for an MD. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

State? Ethnicity?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is below the median score for matriculants , but your GPA is above. That makes you an average applicant for MD programs. Would definitely knock on Illinois state schools, especially with UIC. You’re also competitive for DO programs so apply some DO’s. I’d say your chance for MD is about 50% even with such great ECs, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you receive zero MD acceptance. I’ve seen fellow applicants with higher stats and ECs with zero A’s this year...

Your MCAT is below the median score for matriculants , but your GPA is above. That makes you an average applicant for MD programs. Would definitely knock on Illinois state schools, especially with UIC. You’re also competitive for DO programs so apply some DO’s. I’d say your chance for MD is about 50% even with such great ECs, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you receive zero MD acceptance. I’ve seen fellow applicants with higher stats and ECs with zero A’s this year...
Yeah my MCAT is not competitive at all. do you know if they exclude people right away when they see a bad mcat socre? like without even looking at the rest of the application?

Yeah my MCAT is not competitive at all. do you know if they exclude people right away when they see a bad mcat socre? like without even looking at the rest of the application?
Some schools definitely do (that low CARS alone can screen you out for few schools), but most schools look at both MCAT and GPA (your gpa balances off your MCAT score). Still, top schools will likely screen you out based on your MCAT and GPA combined. Again, with a good list of schools, you might have a decent chance with state MD program. Your academic stats are definitely competitive for DO programs.

You should receive interviews at MD schools and I suggest these:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Faha's list is great for you, and you have a shot at MD, but definitely don't knock or count out DO schools, and honestly, you should be applying to 5-10 DO schools along with that list of MDs. Consider the fact that your MCAT score is even below average at some of the more competitive DO schools (ie WesternU COMP). Don't let MD pride get in the way of you becoming a doctor someday.

Reactions: 2 users
You should receive interviews at MD schools and I suggest these:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thank you so much for the list! do you think I stand a chance at U illinois? Their median MCAT is 513 and GPA is 3.75. I'm doing a list of the schools that I'm applying for but I don't know where to set the boundary. I wasn't thinking of applying to U illinois or Loyola bc of their high mcat score requirement compared to mine. What is the highest MCAT score should I aim for in terms of applying to med schools compared to my MCAT score? I'm sorry I can't seem to phrase my question right lol, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say :)

Thank you so much for the list! do you think I stand a chance at U illinois? Their median MCAT is 513 and GPA is 3.75. I'm doing a list of the schools that I'm applying for but I don't know where to set the boundary. I wasn't thinking of applying to U illinois or Loyola bc of their high mcat score requirement compared to mine. What is the highest MCAT score should I aim for in terms of applying to med schools compared to my MCAT score? I'm sorry I can't seem to phrase my question right lol, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say :)
The 10th percentile MCAT for U Illinois is 502 and your score of 508 is far above that. For Loyola the 10th percentile is 506.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, I just got my mcat score back and I'm happy with it but cars is big bummer for me. I got a 508 with scores 128/123/128/129. I have a gpa of 3.8 and over 1000 clinical hours and 300 clinical research. Do you think I stand a chance at any MD school? It doesnt really matter to me what school but I'm aiming for an MD. Thank you
Yes you have a great shot at MD and DO!

It’s really not the MCAT score in general. It’s that 123 CARS score. If a school has minimum section scores of 124 or 125 you would be screened out. So look carefully at what individual schools say about minimum MCAT section scores.

It’s really not the MCAT score in general. It’s that 123 CARS score. If a school has minimum section scores of 124 or 125 you would be screened out. So look carefully at what individual schools say about minimum MCAT section scores.
yeah you're right, I'll look into that. I considered retaking but I know I won't get any better in CARS. I kept getting the 123 in all the practice tests that I took. Thanks for replying!