got my nbde result totaly disapointed help me guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhallow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,after 8 months hard studying, got my shocking result here is my status

NBDE: 85

gpa: 3.3

toefl :91

2 years work experience as a surgeon in my home town/presented my doctoral thesis in international restorative dentistry congress in 2007

do u guys think I have any chance :(((

Members don't see this ad.

yup a very good chance. to be honest when i read ur stats, what jumped out to me wasnt the 85, it was ur 91 in toefl. bump that up to at least a 100 and u have a great application! no need to be down at all.

2 years work experience as a surgeon in my home town/presented my doctoral thesis in international restorative dentistry congress in 2007

I too Thnk it's a good score...as I got 86
And most of the people who took during last 3 months hav the same near by score....
I got 92 in toefl and gav for the second time......waiting....
Jus get the toefl done and start applying.....good luck for u too

U definitely have a chance mate...wats da breakdown of ur score...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey congrats me tooo i got my score i got 88 im satisfied with the result altough i expected more bec i almost studied 1 year and half :( my toefl 107 i hope i can get a chance as well and btw im a dentist from west africa

Congratulations on your scores!! I think you both have a really good chance!! FYI... I heard the test is very hard this last months with this format, because there is a lot of people just taking it to see if they can pass to avoid the new format!!!
Please if you can break down your score will be great, thank you and good luck with your applications.

Congratulations to both of you!!
Have you guys taken Crack the NBDE prior to takking the tests? If so, how different were the scores compared to actual NBDE Part 1exam?

Thanks for your comments,I did my best to get a high score but after the exam,you are not sure how many questions you answered correctly.I hope all u guys be successful.Do u suggest me to apply for a school ?

hey congrats me tooo i got my score i got 88 im satisfied with the result altough i expected more bec i almost studied 1 year and half :( my toefl 107 i hope i can get a chance as well and btw im a dentist from west africa

U have a great chance buddy good luck ;)

Congratulations to both of you!!
Have you guys taken Crack the NBDE prior to takking the tests? If so, how different were the scores compared to actual NBDE Part 1exam?

I just did the kaplan question bank but the real exam was easier.try to focus on decks,first aid and usmle books for some chapters

I just did the kaplan question bank but the real exam was easier.try to focus on decks,first aid and usmle books for some chapters

Thanks drhallow!!
Thats a great relief! You are only person in the recent times who said, that the exam was easier. Approximately how much percentage of the questions asked were from the Decks??

Thanks drhallow!!
Thats a great relief! You are only person in the recent times who said, that the exam was easier. Approximately how much percentage of the questions asked were from the Decks??

I can't exactly tell you how many questions were from decks but I can tell u that u must know decks word by word.Review as much as u can even more than 4 times.Test lets were so difficult in exam.they ask some weird questions that u can't find them even in usmle books.but as I said,If u read decks and first aid word by word u can get over 85.and if u read usmle books for some chapters such as embryology,u can get over 90.

I can't exactly tell you how many questions were from decks but I can tell u that u must know decks word by word.Review as much as u can even more than 4 times.Test lets were so difficult in exam.they ask some weird questions that u can't find them even in usmle books.but as I said,If u read decks and first aid word by word u can get over 85.and if u read usmle books for some chapters such as embryology,u can get over 90.

Drhallow,

Appreciate your advise. When I do my ASDA papers like an exam I get around 345/400. But I guess the main difference between them and the real test is the "Testlets" Where they too discriptive long passages? or were they around 5-6 lines with questions proceeding them. I was also told that there were a lot of clinical questions in the exam.?
Thanks!!!

hey! guys
i have scored 82..i know its really low
and my GPA is 3.88...with one and a half years exp as dental surgeon.
and done courses in BLS and trauma skills, alongwith other few in dentistry.
I havent given TOEFL yet..i thought i am not eligible...
please suggest me whether is should prepare for part 2 and give TOEFL.
please help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do u guys suggest me to apply for school?there some schools that I can apply for if I got my score reports early

Drhallow,

Appreciate your advise. When I do my ASDA papers like an exam I get around 345/400. But I guess the main difference between them and the real test is the "Testlets" Where they too discriptive long passages? or were they around 5-6 lines with questions proceeding them. I was also told that there were a lot of clinical questions in the exam.?
Thanks!!!

there are different types of test lets.they usually combine patho/dental anatomy/anatomy/microbiology together.Each test let had 10 questions.the hardest part was test lets in the exam

hey drhallow of course u can apply!! 85 its a good score, go ahead dont waste time u never know at end u might get schoool who is interested in interviewing u, so far i sent my application to bu, nyu and lets seee, good luck everyone

hey friends,

I am dentist from India, and unfortunately my NBDE part 1 score is only 80:confused:, and i am planning to give part 2 in jan next year.....
Can any body help me to guide what should i do to get into the dental school in USA.... i have lost all my hopes that i will be able to make it in the school... plz if anybody can help me.....
I have 2 and half year of work experience as a lecturer in college from India...
Plz help me I am totally confused... and planning to go back to India...

hey friends,

I am dentist from India, and unfortunately my NBDE part 1 score is only 80:confused:, and i am planning to give part 2 in jan next year.....
Can any body help me to guide what should i do to get into the dental school in USA.... i have lost all my hopes that i will be able to make it in the school... plz if anybody can help me.....
I have 2 and half year of work experience as a lecturer in college from India...
Plz help me I am totally confused... and planning to go back to India...

hey! hemal,
i m in same boat. even i m thinking to give part 2. but since you r in states, why dont you go and talk to the universities over there...they might guide you...and y dont u go for the rotaryship???

Hey hemal I suggest u to wait.because no body knows whether or not schools would change their requirements.you know that NYU added DAT score for applicants.

IMFdoc,
Don't think that your part 1 is low; your GPA is very good, and if you have extra courses everything adds up. Its a combination of everything. i'ts not just one thing. Try scoring above 100 or 105 in toefl, and give your part 2. that will make a lot of difference

And Hemal,
We are all in the same boat,, with not much difference. Don't lose heart. Stay back and work on other things..

Toefl is being very hard ....i been trying to get above 100 for last three times but i got stuck at 87 Max...i don't know what to do ???? i have cleared part 1 (82)and 2(75). but just because of toefl i m unable to apply for program....please ley me know what should i do?

Hey periofav
would you give me any tips to improve my Toefl score. i been trying to get above 100 for last three times but the max i ever got was only 87 in toefl... i m tired of it now...despite passing of all the NBDE i just can't apply for collages since don't have 100 in toefl. i heared ppl saying that taking toefl in India gives better score then taking in USA, is that tru? i mean they all IBT so it should'n be!!!!! BTW i have taken it in USA all three times.

IMFdoc,
Don't think that your part 1 is low; your GPA is very good, and if you have extra courses everything adds up. Its a combination of everything. i'ts not just one thing. Try scoring above 100 or 105 in toefl, and give your part 2. that will make a lot of difference

Toefl is being very hard ....i been trying to get above 100 for last three times but i got stuck at 87 Max...i don't know what to do ???? i have cleared part 1 (82)and 2(75). but just because of toefl i m unable to apply for program....please ley me know what should i do?

I have the same issue with Toefl,I tried many times and I stuck with 94 two times!!!! ,I really tired with this exam,iam all set with it,cannot get highter score and the problem is that I want to apply to boston next cycle and they are strict with their toefl!!!!

I have the same issue with Toefl,I tried many times and I stuck with 94 two times!!!! ,I really tired with this exam,iam all set with it,cannot get highter score and the problem is that I want to apply to boston next cycle and they are strict with their toefl!!!!

Hi Lena 1983

Abt toefl jus be cool......if ur medium is English thn u jus need to practice....

I'm telling u this coz I took 2times....
First I took it easily and jus went thro Barron's book and did very little from cd
I got 92

Next time I changed to Princeton review.....I Thnk they hav given it in order and how to go abt....go thro the whole book from 1st to last
Do all the mock test ther

Listen to English programs and in car ur radio that is enough for listening....

For others. It's well given in Princeton..

I got 102 for second time but its ok I passed..
Hope this helps
Good luck

yup a very good chance. to be honest when i read ur stats, what jumped out to me wasnt the 85, it was ur 91 in toefl. bump that up to at least a 100 and u have a great application! no need to be down at all.

now here is my scores

Nbde: 85

Toefl: 101

amreki what do you think? :idea:

Congrats drhallow on your toefl score! Can you tell me how many times did you take toefl exam ,and what material did you use?

Congrats drhallow on your toefl score! Can you tell me how many times did you take toefl exam ,and what material did you use?

I took 2 times.At first time,I got 91 and after 3 months preparation, I got 101.
Fortunately if you take the Toefl test several times,you can report any score you want.therefore having concentration and being relaxed is very crucial.
As for materials , I used ETS official IBT book.This is a very useful material and I found the real test very similar to it.Speak with your friends to improve your Speaking section.Also listen to American news channels.They help you to become familiar with American accent.

Though you've asked Amreki, I though I'll give a few suggestions too..
Try to give your part 2. It'll definitely be an add on and some schools do require part 2.. especially with the change to pass/fail system...
You also have to work on building your resume.Try volunteering/observing at clinics.If you have a dental school nearby, look for research assistant jobs.US recommendation letters do have a big role. If you're still in your home country try gaining work experience, doing paper presentations or involving in some research project, volunteer jobs.
Then the most important thing is your SOP..That's what'll decide if you get called for an interview... only then will you get a chance to prove yourself( the bench test).. and compensate for for whatever is lacking in the scores.
When you write your SOP, start brainstorming with all that you can think of.. your experiences, strengths,etc. But pick only the best and most outstanding ones from there. Make your SOP personal and unique.Don't go for cliches. Don't forget to mention your long term goals and what makes you the right candidate for their program.Try to find about the schools well.There is a lot of information on their websites, more than you would imagine.
After making a draft, read it after a while and you'll see that you're nor happy with it. Then rewrite. Your SOP should have a good flow of ideas and should be concise. It'll be good to get help from people who have experience in writing SOPs or even people who generally have a passion towards writing. Get them to correct it. Make sure there aren't any grammatical errors or sentences that are too long to comprehend. Get reviews from others and keep rewriting until you and the person who's helping you feel satisfied. It might take a lot of effort.But it's definitely worth it.
And then you can start practicing for your bench tests.
Good luck.

Thank you very much Goldendoc. Regarding your suggestion, I have worked for 2 years in my hometown after graduation and then immigrated to U.S. Also,I did a paper research which was presented in the international restorative congress in 2008. Do you think I need to improve my TOEFL score?

So now you can keep your resume update by going to volunteer/observe in a clinic in the US or trying for a research assistant job like I said. They would want to know if you're doing something to understand the system in the US. That'll also help you get a US recommendation letter.
It's good that you have an international presentation.
About your TOEFL score, it depends on the universities you'll be applying to.
most people need only above 100. But there are some places which ask for specific speaking/ writing requirements. eg UCLA. You'll have to look into it and then decide.I think for most purposes 101 is fine.

Though you've asked Amreki, I though I'll give a few suggestions too..
Try to give your part 2. It'll definitely be an add on and some schools do require part 2.. especially with the change to pass/fail system...
You also have to work on building your resume.Try volunteering/observing at clinics.If you have a dental school nearby, look for research assistant jobs.US recommendation letters do have a big role. If you're still in your home country try gaining work experience, doing paper presentations or involving in some research project, volunteer jobs.
Then the most important thing is your SOP..That's what'll decide if you get called for an interview... only then will you get a chance to prove yourself( the bench test).. and compensate for for whatever is lacking in the scores.
When you write your SOP, start brainstorming with all that you can think of.. your experiences, strengths,etc. But pick only the best and most outstanding ones from there. Make your SOP personal and unique.Don't go for cliches. Don't forget to mention your long term goals and what makes you the right candidate for their program.Try to find about the schools well.There is a lot of information on their websites, more than you would imagine.
After making a draft, read it after a while and you'll see that you're nor happy with it. Then rewrite. Your SOP should have a good flow of ideas and should be concise. It'll be good to get help from people who have experience in writing SOPs or even people who generally have a passion towards writing. Get them to correct it. Make sure there aren't any grammatical errors or sentences that are too long to comprehend. Get reviews from others and keep rewriting until you and the person who's helping you feel satisfied. It might take a lot of effort.But it's definitely worth it.
And then you can start practicing for your bench tests.
Good luck.

Hi
Can you tell some more details about bench test.What exactly is it and do alll US colleges need /ask for that.Will appreciate any info.Thanks in advance.

@ goldendoc
Do you have any info about what are the options for an international dentist other than DDS/DMD .

There are other options like doing MS either in a clinical or non clinical subject. But very few states allow you to practice with MS. You may want to look at the ADA site for more details.

hey my scores are :-
NBDE Part 1 - 76 :((
TOEFL - 93 :( .. but planning to retake with an aim of >105
GPA - 3.53
no work experience. i strongly want to practice as a dentist in USA. What are my chances to get admission and what can i do to increase my chances.
Any positive suggestions will be appreciated

hi goldendoc ! I wanted to know abt the pass/fail system. Do you know how the score is reported ? Planning to give my exam in may. What study materials would you suggest ? Would be grateful if u can provide me with the information.

There are other options like doing MS either in a clinical or non clinical subject. But very few states allow you to practice with MS. You may want to look at the ADA site for more details.

Hi goldendoc ! I plan to give my part 1 exam in May. What study material would you suggest? Will be grateful if u can provide me with the information.

From what I've read on the site, they say that they will report it as pass if you get a pass score, but if it's a fail(below 75), they'll give the score.I don't know details as I gave my exams last year.
AS far as the materials are concerned, I used to Dental Decks and KAplan NBDE Lecture notes mainly. Went through them twice.Try to focus on the areas that are difficult for you when you do the second round. I also used Mosby's review for Dental Anatomy. ASDA released papers are very useful in giving an idea of how the questions will be. Try to to do mock paers using them and see how you score. I found the K and L series most useful. and then of course, google or refer on wiki for any doubts.