Got my results back, should I recheck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orestis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just got my step 1 results. I scored 228. From the results of Uworld, 4 NBMEs and 2 Uworld sim forms it looks like I was somewhere between 230 and 240, so 228 actually makes sense. So I am looking at my performance profile

I have 2 questions about my performance profile: 1) what is the evidence-based medicine, what does it take into consideration? and 2) does the borderline performance mean borderline compared to the rest of the applicants? or compared to the passing grade?

My other question is: Do you guys think it's worth it to ask for a recheck? Searching on the internet I find posts of people wanting to do it, then everyone comments that it is not worth it. Then a guy comes with a story that he/she had some problems with the exam (exam couldn't start for 30 min etc.) and he/she asked for a recheck and actually got better results. What is your opinion? Personally I do not even understand the logic of a recheck since the exam is computer based.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,

I just got my step 1 results. I scored 228. From the results of Uworld, 4 NBMEs and 2 Uworld sim forms it looks like I was somewhere between 230 and 240, so 228 actually makes sense. So I am looking at my performance profile

I have 2 questions about my performance profile: 1) what is the evidence-based medicine, what does it take into consideration? and 2) does the borderline performance mean borderline compared to the rest of the applicants? or compared to the passing grade?

My other question is: Do you guys think it's worth it to ask for a recheck? Searching on the internet I find posts of people wanting to do it, then everyone comments that it is not worth it. Then a guy comes with a story that he/she had some problems with the exam (exam couldn't start for 30 min etc.) and he/she asked for a recheck and actually got better results. What is your opinion? Personally I do not even understand the logic of a recheck since the exam is computer based.

Were you not able to start your test for 30 mins cause of technical difficulties?

No, that's for some other people that has PC issues and asked for recheck and actually got better results.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,

That’s not a bad score. Congrats on your score. You should be able to match to about 70% of the specialties out there. sdn is a pretty place where it’s filled w/ high intense people who live and breathe USMLE, so it’s pretty depressing to compare yourself w/ these people. But, you did well. That’s all that matters.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello, I wanna be a neurologist so it's an ok score for it. My problem is that: 1. I am an IMG and 2. I wanna match in a program with good research, so I guess the standards would be higher there.

Hello, I wanna be a neurologist so it's an ok score for it. My problem is that: 1. I am an IMG and 2. I wanna match in a program with good research, so I guess the standards would be higher there.
You probably will match into neurology with that score, but it might not be at a good university program with 'good research'. However, doing better in CK (250+) might increase your chances...

Reactions: 1 user