Got My Score Today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:thumbup: Congrats!!!! :thumbup:
now, time to relax!! :hardy: I'm happy for you!! ;)
I know you studied very hard!! Good job!!

:D93 Comp Score :D, Oral Surgery Here I Come :)

Anatomic Sciences 84/100 correct
Biochemistry/Physiology 90/100 correct
Microbiology/Pathology 88/100 correct
Dental Anatomy/Occlusion 88/100 correct

Did the decks 1x, took lots of notes, used USMLE first aid book a lot, did a little kaplan review book here and there, and lived on google and wikipedia (that was the key). I looked up anything I wasn't 100% sure about. Thanks for everyones help on here as well :)

For those interested here is the thread with my released exam progress: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=430445
I took them as individual sections of 100 quesitons after I finished each section of the decks. I believe that was a major factor in making the material stick.
great score
congrats

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome job! There's a good amount of us around here with 93s! Good luck!

Did the decks 1x, took lots of notes, used USMLE first aid book a lot, did a little kaplan review book here and there, and lived on google and wikipedia (that was the key). I looked up anything I wasn't 100% sure about. Thanks for everyones help on here as well :)

For those interested here is the thread with my released exam progress: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=430445
I took them as individual sections of 100 quesitons after I finished each section of the decks. I believe that was a major factor in making the material stick.

congrats!!

hi DrTacoElf,

Congratulations!!!!I was rooting for you to get 90+ hell,even 95%.could you share with us a little bit more about the topics covered in u r exam.
thank you.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Did the decks 1x, took lots of notes, used USMLE first aid book a lot, did a little kaplan review book here and there, and lived on google and wikipedia (that was the key). I looked up anything I wasn't 100% sure about.
Way to go man!

You probably studied for months... right?

Good job. :thumbup:

congras on an incredible job!

just out of curioisity, when you say you took lots of notes, were you referring to class notes, or notes from the first aid book or kaplan?

also, when people say they use wikipedia a lot, how do you whento use it? i know it may be a silly question, but do people generally use it to look up words seen in the books they may not understand? or want to find out more about specific diseases?

thanks a bunch

When I say I took notes I mean notes on stuff covered in released exams and expanding on information on the decks. For instance if I saw a pathology disease I would look that up online and extract any good information and expand that outward comparing and contrasting it with diseases which cause similar clinical manifestations. I used google and wiki to lookup anything I couldn't elborate on. If I saw a word and I couldn't give you some info about it and what it meant, etc I looked it up.
Here is a good example. If you saw a question about typhus on a released exam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhus

See how much info can be gathered from just that 1 word. Pretty much in my opinion its like playing darts. Released exams get you in the general area of what they like to ask. All you have to do is expand your knowledge around that point and you will be covered when they ask another similar but non identical question.

you're giving away trade secrets, what's next the colonel's secret recipe? hehehe :laugh:

you're giving away trade secrets, what's next the colonel's secret recipe? hehehe :laugh:
heyy
Thats an awesome score....wow!!!!!!!congrats..
after reading a lot of posts here i gathered that USMLE first aid is awesome...so went ahead and bought it..
but dude!!!! thats like a different world in itself..with lots of new stuff to learn..
so plzz tell me when ppl say "i did usmle first aid"..what exactly do they mean..like read ever page and memorised it or used it as a reference book??
deck still remains the 'the' thing right?...and did qs papers help..coz there seem to be not many repeats...plzzz help this lesser mortal :p

Oral Surgery Here I Come :)

You sure about this? No sleep for one year, opportunity cost ($100K/year) for at least 4 years + paying tuition if you're in a 6 year program, getting bossed around like you're a teenager/piece of sh1t when you just got your "doctorate" degree, increase your risks of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases due to poor diet, lack of rest, and stress, top of your class but have to kiss @ss to the dude in the bottom of your class because he's "the GP", (if you're in a 6 year program) studying for the USMLE Step 1 exam which makes NBDE Part 1 feel like a quiz (you just took this and look how much effort you've put in, Step 1 is 10000000Xs for challenging), (if you're in a 6 year program) go back to be a (medical) student again in classroom and study for course exams when you're 5 years older than all your new classmates......

Are you absolutely SURE? Are ya, are ya?;)

Congrats on passing Part 1 with a great score.

Members don't see this ad :)
heyy

after reading a lot of posts here i gathered that USMLE first aid is awesome...so went ahead and bought it..
but dude!!!! thats like a different world in itself..with lots of new stuff to learn..
so plzz tell me when ppl say "i did usmle first aid"..what exactly do they mean..like read ever page and memorised it or used it as a reference book??
deck still remains the 'the' thing right?...and did qs papers help..coz there seem to be not many repeats...plzzz help this lesser mortal :p

well Im using it right now, but I didn't use it right away, because if I did most of the concepts I wouldnt be able to fully understand. Uhm I didnt read every page just the one's that I feel are important. (Pharma for example I didnt bother looking at)...question papers should help because they'll help evaluate your progress thru each revision.

Dentalhearthrob, (or anyone out there)
What are question papers? Are these old (released) exams? Where can we get them?

Thanks!

you did wonderful your score is great i am just wondering how many months did you study for it and when you said usmle first aid you used all step1,2 and 3 or just 1? pls reply as soon as you can.thanx

Last edited:
:hardy: hearty congrats to you... your efforts have paid off....
all the best for the future:thumbup:

Bigtooth

hi DrTarcoElf,

You did it!
Could u tell how you prepare Anatomy? Thanks million.

congratulations!! you know your scores are great and worked hard for it..so ur hard work paid off!! what i would like to laud the most is that u actually bothered to tell everyone what you did and how!!! thanks a million..this forum is a find!!!:)

I studied for about 2 months on a regular basis. I tried to do at least 3 hours every night and upped this to about 4 in the last month while still in school. Once I finished final exams and we were out I put in a minimum of 6 hours per day aiming more for 8-10 if I was feeling productive. I remember the night before the exam I woke up about every 20 minutes having to look stuff up :(. Didn't sleep much at all. As for the USMLE, only use the step I book. Bottom line your source doesn't matter what matters is that you are learning what they are going to ask. I know people who did the decks 5x and still only got in the 80s. Quality of studying is what matters most not hours per se. I have had times i've been more productive in 3 minutes than 1 hour.

As for anatomy I looked at netters atlas a lot and tried to memorize spatial orientations of muscles, spaces, blood supply, innervation and so forth. Its important to have an understanding of these layers anyway if you want to understand surgeries well. I also used the kaplan book a little for anatomy as a second reference to the decks. Lastly used wikipedia a lot for innervation/muscle action, etc.

thank you so much for this complete reply god bless you,take care

hi
congrats for ur grt score ...............i want ur guidance for prparation for part 1 exam..........i have kaplan notes and dental decks ,very soon will be gettng usmle first aid ,even i am referring to wikipedia...........i dont have any exam papers .............so i f u can plz send me th exam papers which u have i will be buying frm u.........i want all th exam papers which u have..........if possible plz give me ur personal email id so tat i can contact u.

thanks
fatimah

hi
congrats for ur grt score ...............i want ur guidance for prparation for part 1 exam..........i have kaplan notes and dental decks ,very soon will be gettng usmle first aid ,even i am referring to wikipedia...........i dont have any exam papers .............so i f u can plz send me th exam papers which u have i will be buying frm u.........i want all th exam papers which u have..........if possible plz give me ur personal email id so tat i can contact u.

thanks
fatimah

Sorry I'm not selling any exams, but you can purchase them here

https://www.asdanet.org/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=14

Hi congrats .I'm ver happy for you.

Could u please let me know what is wikipedia? and does it help with part 2 as well?
thx

And do you have any suggestions to read for part 2 except for decks?

Congrates DrTacoElf. Please guide for preparing Clinical based question and ethics.

hi,
congrats .
when did clear ur exam? i started my preparation for nbde part1.
will u plz guide me how to read and wt r the books that i have to refer.
give me ur mail id.so that i can clear my doubts with u.thanks

Dr. TacoElf and Denthearthrob,
First off, kudos on the high scores, impressive.
I have some questions for either of you. I'm retaking my test in two weeks and I'm aiming for a high 90. What I would like to know is how much did the new format affect you on test day? Were you thrown off guard seeing as how you were accustomed to the old exam format of separate sections? Or were the topics covered on par with the old questions with just a different order of things?
I appreciate either or both of your responses.
Thanks for your time.

Dr. TacoElf and Denthearthrob,
First off, kudos on the high scores, impressive.
I have some questions for either of you. I'm retaking my test in two weeks and I'm aiming for a high 90. What I would like to know is how much did the new format affect you on test day? Were you thrown off guard seeing as how you were accustomed to the old exam format of separate sections? Or were the topics covered on par with the old questions with just a different order of things?
I appreciate either or both of your responses.
Thanks for your time.

I really wouldnt be able to answer that question since i've never taken the old format except from those from the released questions I did while preparing. uhm, I wasn't thrown off guard infact taking the test was very comfortable and there was ample time to finish it and go thru some questions that id marked down. Regarding the topics covered, well, its pretty much mixed. There were some questions that where really easy to answer that I answered right from the get go, and then there where questions that would take longer to answer because major critical thinking was involved.

You sure about this? No sleep for one year, opportunity cost ($100K/year) for at least 4 years + paying tuition if you're in a 6 year program, getting bossed around like you're a teenager/piece of sh1t when you just got your "doctorate" degree, increase your risks of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases due to poor diet, lack of rest, and stress, top of your class but have to kiss @ss to the dude in the bottom of your class because he's "the GP", (if you're in a 6 year program) studying for the USMLE Step 1 exam which makes NBDE Part 1 feel like a quiz (you just took this and look how much effort you've put in, Step 1 is 10000000Xs for challenging), (if you're in a 6 year program) go back to be a (medical) student again in classroom and study for course exams when you're 5 years older than all your new classmates......

Are you absolutely SURE? Are ya, are ya?;)

Congrats on passing Part 1 with a great score.

Couldn't agree with what you said above more!....

I just took the NBDE 1 yesterday.... I want to specialize, but then again, I think you are 100% right about the treatment you'd be getting... seems to me a double-edged sword to do well on the exam. Are we all just glutton’s for punishment? (/emote: signs her name on the dotted line)

congratulations!!!:thumbup::thumbup: