Ilovelamp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2005
Status
Medical Student
So I got 228 on Step 1 and I was wondering if I should just not try for anything competitive since I didn't hit the 230 cut-off? Will I even get interviews at any competitive programs? I'm not AoA, but I haven't failed any classes either. My class rank isn't great. Just around middle. So am I pretty much screwed when it comes to competitive residencies?:(

ZagDoc

Ears, Noses, and Throats
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Unfortunately you'll likely get selected out by protocol before you have a chance at an interview for certain specialties. That being said, if there's a specific field you're aiming for that's "competitive," this wouldn't be the best place to get a realistic view on your chances. That would be the dean's office, or even better the program director at your school.

Worst case scenario you can have a backup specialty you rank in your match. You can get a sense of what programs in the more competitive field you have a realistic shot at from the program director, rank those, then below that list programs in the field you are also considering which you have a better guarantee of matching in.

sendwich

you rock!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Unfortunately you'll likely get selected out by protocol before you have a chance at an interview for certain specialties. That being said, if there's a specific field you're aiming for that's "competitive," this wouldn't be the best place to get a realistic view on your chances. That would be the dean's office, or even better the program director at your school.

Worst case scenario you can have a backup specialty you rank in your match. You can get a sense of what programs in the more competitive field you have a realistic shot at from the program director, rank those, then below that list programs in the field you are also considering which you have a better guarantee of matching in.
at what point would you be safe from being selected out by protocol for compettitive specialties in general? 230? 235? 240?

ZagDoc

Ears, Noses, and Throats
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
at what point would you be safe from being selected out by protocol for compettitive specialties in general? 230? 235? 240?
230-35 is what I've heard by word of mouth. But you gotta be careful with what you put in your mouth.

Adam638

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 16, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It probably rules out the super competitive (Plastics, etc.), but I know plenty of people who have matched in Rads and Ortho with <230 Step 1 scores. I also know one that matched ENT with a score around yours. Granted you have to have something else to distinguish yourself (published research, know the program director) , but its doable. Keep working hard and get some honors in year 3. I'd recommend taking Step 2 early though if your heart is set on a certain competitive field. Or else have a backup specialty to rank. Good luck:luck:

Noeljan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
Status
Medical Student
So I got 228 on Step 1 and I was wondering if I should just not try for anything competitive since I didn't hit the 230 cut-off? Will I even get interviews at any competitive programs? I'm not AoA, but I haven't failed any classes either. My class rank isn't great. Just around middle. So am I pretty much screwed when it comes to competitive residencies?:(
seeing how the average for some specialties are 230, I bet it would be VERY safe to assume their are plenty of people with a lower score. Your score is not even that much lower, 2 points. I think your score is solid if you can do well this year.

Noeljan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
Status
Medical Student
what are you interested in anyways?

scube

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Home of the Horseshoe!!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
look at charting the outcomes.
http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

more people matched than not with a 221-230 in DERM. heck 2/7 even matched just barely passing. now keep in mind that those people may have had great research, known somebody ect. but it makes the point clear that it is possible. You may want to do something to improve your app or network. Clearly they don't all have a cut off that is a set number for all programs. I know that no one said they did but I am putting a positive outlook on the situation.

ENThopeful

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2008
Status
Yea, I don't think step 1 is the end all. Med students love to panic like it is but really there are other avenues if you really want it. However, most med students tend to rule out specialties based on their board scores. Those are the ones that are "filtered out" at the get go: it shows they were never really passionate in the first place. Furthermore, Im hearing more and more talk by faculty how step 1 is getting out of control, and it really is. Think of the dollars spent and made on a single exam, the time spent and the time it steals from school curriculum. This has to translate into action as those faculty are the ones on residency admission committee. While currently, step 1 is the biggest factor, I imagine a huge shift in the near future, as really, this test is out of control.

I know people who have 220s and are in plastics. They might of not had straight match, but they busted their ass in the gen surg residencies and did what they love. I know a person in a very competitive specialty who got less then the "cut off" and matched at the #1 spot for that specialty.

But in all, if you love it, nothing will stop you.

maygrl110

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I talked to some residents in the field I'm interested in ER, and they said that at least for this field MOST important are the rotation grades in the particular ED program and LOR from ER staff during the rotation and other LORs, then overall performance on rotations-esp. surgery, med, peds, THEN step 1 and 2 scores, then M1+2 scores. So, it seems to me by what he had said that they use the scores, but you still have control over very important parts of the application third year. I realize that you probably want to do something more competitive than ER, but I think it pays to do rotations in the field you are interested in, maybe even an away rotation to let them get to know you...impress them and get good letters from the department. Good luck...so much of your application is still out there...don't let your entire future hang out one day!