Got my Step I Score back today...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First of all, I just wanted to thank you all for your advice and support. Because of many posts on this thread, I decided to take the NBME online exams and buy HY Molecular Bio. Thank you!!!

My Step I score is 267.

Needless to say, I will be celebrating today and tonight!

Best wishes to all. Please PM or reply ito my post f you have any questions or comments.

Finally, I do owe my Christian Faith (God, Jesus Christ!) for my presence of mind and recall during the exam. I think one's state of mind plays a huge role.

Best wishes!!!!!!! Again, please PM or reply with any questions or comments.

P.S. FYI, I took the exam on June 8th, '04, so they were fairly speedy in my case, about 3 weeks.

P.P.S. The online exams were exactly predictive of my Step I score. I got a 700 and 710 on the two, with the 710 being a little over 2 SD above the mean (500 w/ SD of 100). On the REAL Step I, my 267 was a little over 2 SD above the mean (217 w/ SD of 24).

Again, take those online exams, they are nearly *perfect* predictors for most people.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've actually been waiting for your posts, cause of your NBME scores!!!!

WOW!
So I need to go reread all your strategies again!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Went running and taking a dump. Congrats bigfrank. I'm willing to bet you will be the winner for the year on step I score. And you definately deserve it.

bigfrank..all i can say is WOW!!! I couldnt fathom making a score like that..
congrats...

Good job, bigfrank! I just found out my scores are in as well, but I'm not sure whether I should go up to school for the 3-digit, or wait a day or two for the full breakdown and report in the mail. :p

Again, congratulations! you deserved it :D

That is the highest score I've ever seen. Can you loan me 30 points for my Step 1?? ha! Good job. :cool:

:thumbup: Dam dat score is off the hook, I'm gonna dig up all your old post and follow your and jalby's study methods for shizzle.

:clap: :clap: congrats big frank :clap: :clap: :clap:

That is the highest score I've ever heard :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks so much for your advice on the exam too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats man....i hope my scores matches my nbme also........hopefully should be getting them in a couple of weeks...

Thank you all very much for your kind words!!!

I've received a dozen or so PM's and I've tried to answer them all!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good God bigfrank, that is an awesome score. You slaughtered the USMLE! A 267 batting average isn't too shabby for the major league but for a step one score that is freaking amazing (maybe we should call you frankzilla). Way to go.

Damn! What an awesome score. Congrats!! :D I took mine on June 5 and I still haven't gotten my results back. Honestly, I don't think I want to know. :scared:

We were actually told that our scores wouldn't be released until 7/14, so I was shocked today to find out.

Usually, I think scores are reported in 3-6 weeks, usually around 4.

Frank, I have to admit, I am very disappointed in you. I was expecting a perfect 300!!! :D :D

J/K 267 is an ungodly score :eek: :eek: . You deserve it big guy. I am so happy for you. Congrats!!!

bigfrank said:
Hello all,

First of all, I just wanted to thank you all for your advice and support. Because of many posts on this thread, I decided to take the NBME online exams and buy HY Molecular Bio. Thank you!!!

My Step I score is 267.

Needless to say, I will be celebrating today and tonight!

Best wishes to all. Please PM or reply ito my post f you have any questions or comments.

Finally, I do owe my Christian Faith (God, Jesus Christ!) for my presence of mind and recall during the exam. I think one's state of mind plays a huge role.

Best wishes!!!!!!! Again, please PM or reply with any questions or comments.

P.S. FYI, I took the exam on June 8th, '04, so they were fairly speedy in my case, about 3 weeks.

P.P.S. The online exams were exactly predictive of my Step I score. I got a 700 and 710 on the two, with the 710 being a little over 2 SD above the mean (500 w/ SD of 100). On the REAL Step I, my 267 was a little over 2 SD above the mean (217 w/ SD of 24).

Again, take those online exams, they are nearly *perfect* predictors for most people.

I probably would have stroked out if I saw that number! Friggin' awesome...I can only hope to have a score like that. You definitely tore step 1 a new one...

Frank when you said that you got 80% on qbank the first time through and all of the rest of the stuff, I was sure that whatever your 3 digit score it, your 2 digit score would be 99. Never doubted it.

Your score is the 2nd highest that I have ever heard of. Last year, I heard that one student (female?) from GWU got a 268/99. Your score is right up there with her's.

Nice work. What field are you considering because I'm going to send my referrals to you.

bigfrank,congrats!
just curious, what was your MCAT? are u one of those people that always aces standardized tests?

God Bless you BigFrank! That is really something to be proud. Go and make tons of cold hard cash and make us all proud!!

Hi there,

Many questions to answer, Many thanks to you all for your kind words.

1. My MCAT was a paltry 29. No excuses here, but I didn't study for it, as I had early acceptances at two schools. So who knows what it would have been if I had studied for it. Regardless, however, I would say that my Step I score is much more sweat than brains.

2. As far as a field of medicine, I would say my "big 3" in order are anesthesiology, ophthalmology, and family practice.

3. As far as my junior AOA status, I don't know yet, I think that is announced this coming year, but I have no idea.

4. I'll continue to answer PM's as they come rollin' in.

Best,

Holy ****. Congrats man. Why dont you post your PM anwsers esp if they are study tips.

Oh yeah, I'll definately be digging up your old posts.

Very impressive! I'm so happy for you!! Man, at this point, I'm just hoping I passed :oops:

I was thinking, if BigFrank got his, shouldn't many others on this site have gotten theirs too (as we're assuming they are sent out in 'batches')? I haven't read about anyone else getting theirs recently.

I've only been reading these boards for a couple of months, do most people tend NOT to share that o-so-sacred score?

I'll share mine once I get it, along with my lousy stats. Unless I FAIL and fall into a deeeeep depression. Fingers are crossed for all of us!!

Congrats BIGFRANK!! You deserve it!

I'll post mine when it gets here...I took it on June 10th and have yet to hear back.

Willamette

Thank you all for your very kind words.

I believe that many of you will receive your scores back (or your schools will) around July 7th and July 14th. The paper scores are mailed to you on these days as well, so you'll get the paper score 4-7 days after your school knows. If you drop by your school's dean's office/registrar, I'm confident they will let you know if it's in.

Best,

My hope is that my combined 1st and my probable retake scores will equal your feat. Many congrats to you, the residency program directors are gonna fight for ya!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

wow!!! just saw this thread--amazing!!! that MCAT score is long behind you my friend! :) that is so great!

congratulations! out of curiosity, where do you go to med school?

mellantro & medpuck, thank you guys/gals very much for your kind words.

jao86, I appreciate your question. After much consideration, I have decided to keep my school private, as it may be fairly easy to find me out if you have a school + Step I score. (Not that you would want to, but there are some 'crazies' out there.) But let's say that there is not "Ivy" all over the place. ;)

Best,

bigfrank said:
mellantro & medpuck, thank you guys/gals very much for your kind words.

jao86, I appreciate your question. After much consideration, I have decided to keep my school private, as it may be fairly easy to find me out if you have a school + Step I score. (Not that you would want to, but there are some 'crazies' out there.) But let's say that there is not "Ivy" all over the place. ;)

Best,

See the double standard? Quit busting people's chops for not revealing their score if you won't even reveal where you go to school.

P.S. This is the last time I address these topics with you. Let's get back to the old days when medicine was cool and bigfrank was just a funny name. Truce?

Pox in a box said:
See the double standard? Quit busting people's chops for not revealing their score if you won't even reveal where you go to school.

P.S. This is the last time I address these topics with you. Let's get back to the old days when medicine was cool and bigfrank was just a funny name. Truce?

Wow drudging up year old threads to prove a point...PIAB is soooo not crazy ;)

Maybe you should get over yourself and post your damn score...or just stay out of the USMLE FORUM?

Pompacil said:
Wow drudging up year old threads to prove a point...PIAB is soooo not crazy ;)

Maybe you should get over yourself and post your damn score...or just stay out of the USMLE FORUM?

The whole point of me getting frustrated at bigfrank is that I feel like he has bragged about his scores without anyone even provoking him to tell his scores. He often begins his posts with..."Just took the shelf back, it wasn't too bad." Then, a week or two later he adds, "School reports 99th percentile and 99+ two-digit score" or something similar. As if we can't read it, he puts it in bold sometimes. That's great and I'm glad he gets good scores. He'll make a heck of a doctor someday. I respect that. I just wanted to let him and others to know that more than scores make the doctor. Bigfrank isn't the only one either.

I think everyone realizes my stance on this now and perhaps some form of humility was appreciated. I really think bigfrank means well but sometimes comes across as arrogant. I obviously do too! I like to play devil's advocate...usually just to make people think. I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes by trying to be a moral conscience. I realize most people were being helpful and forthright in their reporting of scores. Accept me back as good old Pox in a box?

Congrats to everyone for passing and in many cases excelling well above the mean. I'm glad that SDN has really turned it on in 2005. Thanks for all the help and for helping push me to do my best. I can say I'm very happy with my score and attribute much of that to the time I've spent on SDN. Mad props to bigfrank too. He's a soldier! No more playa hatin'! :wow:

Hoping to rejoin the A-team,
Pox

Pox in a box said:
The whole point of me getting frustrated at bigfrank is that I feel like he has bragged about his scores without anyone even provoking him to tell his scores. He often begins his posts with..."Just took the shelf back, it wasn't too bad." Then, a week or two later he adds, "School reports 99th percentile and 99+ two-digit score" or something similar. As if we can't read it, he puts it in bold sometimes. That's great and I'm glad he gets good scores. He'll make a heck of a doctor someday. I respect that. I just wanted to let him and others to know that more than scores make the doctor. Bigfrank isn't the only one either.

I think everyone realizes my stance on this now and perhaps some form of humility was appreciated. I really think bigfrank means well but sometimes comes across as arrogant. I obviously do too! I like to play devil's advocate...usually just to make people think. I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes by trying to be a moral conscience. I realize most people were being helpful and forthright in their reporting of scores. Accept me back as good old Pox in a box?

Congrats to everyone for passing and in many cases excelling well above the mean. I'm glad that SDN has really turned it on in 2005. Thanks for all the help and for helping push me to do my best. I can say I'm very happy with my score and attribute much of that to the time I've spent on SDN. Mad props to bigfrank too. He's a soldier! No more playa hatin'! :wow:

Hoping to rejoin the A-team,
Pox

whoa....humility. Im guessing he got a 220- now.

Jalby said:
Die Thread Die!!!!!!

Truth Hurts?

BigFrank can FINALLY use the jealousy card on someone without sounding like a delusional buffoon. :clap:

Don't let it get to you Jalby. You have one thing that you can brag about. University of Spoiled Children has a much better COLLEGE FOOTBALL team compared to "Brad Pitt" University. :laugh:

P.S. Tell your roommate Leinart he needs a haircut.