Got nailed by Ek 1001 Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harkkam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am using EK bio for content review as it seems to be the best book everyone keeps saying that on SDN.

However I took the first passage of Lecture 1 on Ek bio 1001 and I got 3/7 right.

Ek 1001 is testing me on things that were not covered in their lecture book.

Is the idea to get them wrong and then learn them that way? OR

Should I switch over to TBR Bio instead, it is more dense but Im not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I am using EK bio for content review as it seems to be the best book everyone keeps saying that on SDN.

However I took the first passage of Lecture 1 on Ek bio 1001 and I got 3/7 right.

That's what the real MCAT is going to be like. It's equally, or more, about reading comphresion vs. knowing your biology.

Don't worry how you do initially. I was doing horribly on the EK Bio passages at first.

i did bad, too, because the questions didn't have anything to do with the book. Now i'm reading another book for content and understanding, and using EK bio book as a guideline/notes. I started to realize this after doing those exams, that you have to know the material cold. I don't think EK bio book gives you the details you need to do well on the MCAT. The EK questions book though would probably help you a lot. But I couldn't learn by doing somehting wrong and read it for the correct answer. It confused me. That's why I am reading another book with real contents. Am I doing the right thing??? I'm unsure of this myself...

I did pretty well on EK 1001 and I think the reason is because I attacked that book after a couple of rounds through content review. The good thing about that book is that the questions for each chapter are not strictly on material from that chapter. It tests you on your understanding of how all of the organ systems work and also how they relate to one another. And I like the fact that they will ask questions about other sections because it keeps you thinking about the big picture and not just that individual chapter you are working on.

However, I fully agree that there are many questions that are total curveballs, but its better to see them now for the first time instead of the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
True...but would you say its better to go to another book because one of the questions tested on

Na/K ATpase and the lecture didnt cover what Na/K Atpase does. That it pumps out Na and K into the cell. So there was no way I could answer that question.

TBR bio which I have is VERY...thick and I think is detailed. But I also have TPR Biological sciences which seem to be perhaps have better content review.

Maybe after I do TPR I could use Ek 1001 to build up my concepts instead of EK for bio content review?

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely NOT dude. EK Biology has pretty much everything you need to know for biology. And it definitely DOES explain how the Na/K pump works, its right on pg. 85 in a huge pic, 3 Na out, 2 K in. If you know everything in the EK books and do the EK 1001 and learn some new things, that will prep you for the MCAT as far as content is concerned.

However, I am still going to be doing all of the TBR biology passages just to get some more practice with passages, but not for content. Stick to EK for content.

Also, if you didn't notice that the book mentioned the Na K Atpase then you probably are rushing through and not paying enough attention.

I don't think EK bio book gives you the details you need to do well on the MCAT.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. I used EK exclusively and got a 15 on BS so clearly they had everything I needed in their book. I never used the 1001 books though so I'm not sure how they relate to the MCAT. That said, a large part of the MCAT will be based on extrapolating knowledge from the passages and what you know, rather than just asking you to regurgitate what you memorized. I think additional practice is more beneficial than switching to a more detailed book.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that. I used EK exclusively and got a 15 on BS so clearly they had everything I needed in their book. I never used the 1001 books though so I'm not sure how they relate to the MCAT. That said, a large part of the MCAT will be based on extrapolating knowledge from the passages and what you know, rather than just asking you to regurgitate what you memorized. I think additional practice is more beneficial than switching to a more detailed book.

What is your biology background like and how well did you do in those classes?

I have a degree in biomedical engineering (from 08) but that also means I haven't had many of the relevant courses in quite some time (4+ years). I did take anatomy/physiology 1 and biochem in fall 09 (post bacc) and got A's but they were at a local state school, so anything less than an A would be pretty bad. As for regular biology, I used my AP credits from 9th grade, which was 9 years ago. My regular undergrad GPA was only a 3.2 so I certainly wouldn't say I really mastered the material back then (I used to try to find the easiest way to a B and then spend my extra time drinking). I guess I'd say my background in physiology is pretty strong but I haven't seen general bio topics in a long time. Thing is, most of my courses for undergrad concentrated on engineering or a few particular topics in a depth much greater than the MCAT so i really do feel I EK was a good content review.

I think the 1001 passages are fairly representative of the MCAT BS passages. Actually they're a little more difficult in that they require recall of random materials, which, in general, the AAMC practice exams don't seem to stress as much.

The passages will more than likely cover material you haven't seen. You should be able to do one of two things with the passage questions: 1) get the answer from the passage, or 2) use what you DO know to answer questions about something you don't. That's the point of the passages, and, thus, you can't possibly prepare for every potential passage topic. However, I've found that EK does a great job covering all of the material you NEED to know.

You're not alone, I'll smoke one passage 8/8 and then the next passage will have random oddball questions that AREN'T in the passage and I'll get a 4/8.

As opposed to another poster though, the best way I learn is by getting something wrong and figuring out why I got it wrong so far this is working great for me.

I have a degree in biomedical engineering (from 08) but that also means I haven't had many of the relevant courses in quite some time (4+ years). I did take anatomy/physiology 1 and biochem in fall 09 (post bacc) and got A's but they were at a local state school, so anything less than an A would be pretty bad. As for regular biology, I used my AP credits from 9th grade, which was 9 years ago. My regular undergrad GPA was only a 3.2 so I certainly wouldn't say I really mastered the material back then (I used to try to find the easiest way to a B and then spend my extra time drinking). I guess I'd say my background in physiology is pretty strong but I haven't seen general bio topics in a long time. Thing is, most of my courses for undergrad concentrated on engineering or a few particular topics in a depth much greater than the MCAT so i really do feel I EK was a good content review.

Appreciate the feedback...that sentence about sums up my college experience, so you have given me a confidence boost to know that I too can perform well on BS :)

Haha, good. As long as you're dedicated while studying for the MCAT, what you did in undergrad won't matter much.

The story of my life :laugh: