Got offer straying away from DO, what do I do???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

Gard

I am from MO, recently relocated to AZ to try to go to med school here. I heard through the grape vine that it wasn't as difficult to get into AZ's med school as most. I've recently been back to MO to visit, and met with a doctor friend of my mother. I sat down with him and talked the whole thing over, and he gave me an offer. If I go get my Nurse Practitioner's license, he'd pay me 120,000/year. I'm having a real hard time deciding on this. Here's what I've come up with: Med school is hell, I'm married and I want to stay with this lady for good, same goes for residency, I'll be 32 (minimum) by the time I start making decent money the Doctor way, and 25 the NP way. The debt load is huge (especially to the private DO school I'd go to). Of course, I'd be giving up the prestige and respect a doctor demands, but also an extra 40-60 hours/week. Tell me what you'd do here. Do I have my facts right??? Thanks so much for your help.

Gard

Members don't see this ad.

Gard,
The best answer I can tell you is to do what will make you the happiest. If you go the Nurse Practitioner route will you fill that you have cheated yourself and then hold it against your wife saying the held you back from your dreams? Medschool is expensive but you will make enough to pay back your loans when you are done.

I would also do some serious checking into the practice rights of Nurse Practitioners. I have heard a few of our faculty members here at KCOM speak about ARNPs, they have mentioned that there is a movement to decrease their practice rights or to at least regulate them more. I don't know much about this and it may be totally untrue but I would definately check into it.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Think LONG TERM here. It's too easy to just pick the path of least resistance. As the years go by, the pay and the hours are going to seem less important if you are not happy with what you are doing. Is your friend going to practice forever? Plus, 32 IS NOT OLD. It only seems like it when you are 23.(I'm 32, as if that wasn't too obvious). 23 probably sounded old when you were 14. The point is that you need to find what you really WANT to do. Don't "fall into" a profession. What does your gut tell you?

By the way, I don't mean that a NP is not a great career.

Members don't see this ad :)
go with the force, luke. it will guide you always.

i think everyone is right about what they are saying. But, if this doctor friend gives you this offer and in your heart you think this is the path you should take...

YOU'D BETTER GET IT IN WRITING.

Just a thought.

-Arnold

Tough call Gard. I had a similar experience lately. I was given an opportunity to become a researcher at Park Davis during the summer. They were gonna start me at 45,000 which isn't bad for a 22 year old. I was seriously considering it, especially since I didn't get into med school the year prior. It's probable they would have paid for me to get my phd in Bio Chem and then become some big shot over there. I would have then made well over 100,000/year without the hassel of being on call and being in debt at age 30.

With this in mind, I said to hell with it. My dream is to be a doctor, I'm so close. I just can't get off the path now. So that's where I am. I'm off to MSUCOM next year to pursue the dream.

I'm sounding repetitive here4, but you gotta do what will make you happy. Don't base your life on what your Doctor friend tells you what to do with it.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Thanks to all for the opinions. I'm trying to come up with a decision on this whole thing... I think I'm going to go back and get my B.S. in Nursing. I'll work for this doctor in the mean time, and see if it looks good. If not, I'll go ahead and apply to KCOM. This doctor who's offering me this position graduated from Med school at age 20. He told me, "First of all, if I were in your shoes, I'd be an NP. If I had to go through (internal medicine) residency again, I'd quit medicine and do something else." That's what made me listen a little harder to everything else he had to say. And, with a NP school local to him, why would he wait 3 years for me to graduated NP school when he can reap the profits of hiring NP's right now? He told me he's screened several graduates and he's seen nothing he wants in his office yet. Now that you have a few more facts on the whole situation, you may be able to see why it's a tough one. Thanks again, and maybe I'll just say screw it and go to law school...
Gard

I don't mean this in any cynical or condescending way, but if you can't make this judgement call for yourself after much soul-searching and introspection, then one might seriously question your maturity and judgement skills needed to perform the daily functions of a DO. Why should you turn to a forum of strangers for advice when we know virtually nothing about who you are?

just a thought, good luck

I agree with 8404, it sounds as the doc is giving you a premature offer. That is alot of money to give someone without knowing their skill level or if the market can support such a highly paid NP. You are certainly taking a risk basing your future career on the dollar signs in your eyes.

I just don't think anyone would or could make a good faith offer of such money on an unproven employee. Sorry man, don't buy it.

Indymike: Do you think I'm going to just pick a response at random and base my judgement on that? Now I think that would be immature. In the mean time, I think getting as many peoples opinions on the whole deal is very helpful no matter what your decision is. If a doctor can't be big enough to ask his colleague's questions and opinions, then maybe he/she is so arrogant and self righteous that he/she will fit right in with most of the doctors in the world. Maybe I should become a doctor instead. At least the Doctor 'pool' would shift a little to the humble God fearing side.

Interesting original posting,

There is a huge difference between a NP and a Physician. As an NP you work fixed schedule, 40 hrs per week roughly. You earn a fixed salary. You are an employee who is hired by a physician. You prescribe under that physicians DEA# and you report to that physician. Your medical knowledge is significantly less and you do not have the same degree of autonomy. You have fewer practice options/freedoms. But life is simpler too, you do not incur nearly as much debt. Ultimately the responsibility of that patients health is not yours (rather it is the physician who oversees/employs you). Schooling for an NP is much shorter and requires much less "blood sweat and tears."

This is a personal question. My advice is this: if you have a question in your mind as to which one to persue, take your time, do the research and figure it out. Do not base your future on what one guy said you could earn if he decided to hire you after getting your NP. Don't start either program unless you are SURE THAT THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

gard,
being a doctor is not for everybody. You have to have the drive, determination, and willingness to make extraordinary family/life sacrifices to become a doctor. I have talked to doctors and people in medical residencies who swear that if given a 2nd chance, they would NOT go through the same path again. They say it is just too stressful, and that they would have loved to be able to relax and enjoy other aspects of life more. There is no doubt that a life as a doctor can be stressful and demanding.
Then again, i've talked to others who are happy that they have chosen to become physicians. These are people who see the rewards of being a doctor worth all the sacrifice and hard work.
Please DO NOT listen to all the people who are ripping you about having doubts or being indecisive. This is normal to be concerned about this. I have had the same concerns. However, I am fully prepared for the hardships because I know the rewards are great.
But I would like to say again that becoming a doctor is not for everybody. $120K is a hell of a lot of money. Consider it, but also consider everything: Family, wife, personal happiness, rewards. Other people are saying that you may be unhappy if you pass up this chance of becoming a doctor. Well you could be just as unhappy if you do choose to become a doctor! You will likely not have as much time to spend w/ your wife/family. You may be unhappy about not having a 9-5 job.
So, think very carefully! Make sure to make decision that will make your wife and your family happy. And most importantly, choose the route that will make YOU most happy.
Good luck.