Got Pinged by Winged! Or What Outsiders think about Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthNeurology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Look at a comment I got my one of our moderators, Winged Scapulae, why is it so many attendings in other fields have such a low opinion of Neurology. Help me come up with a counter-ping for surgeons, I couldn't think of a good one:(

Darth, . . .

By the by, you've made an excellent choice with Neurology as your field, as you seem to possess an enduring interest in mental masturbation over things you cannot change.

Maybe I'm just delusional about how much neurologists do???:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

To paraphrase Martin H. Fisher - The practice of neurology is a thinker's art, the practice of surgery a plumber's.

Thank you, I can go to bed without feeling like I'm on a sinking ship.

Members don't see this ad :)
To paraphrase Martin H. Fisher - The practice of neurology is a thinker's art, the practice of surgery a plumber's.

Does anyone else find it extremely ironic that you guys are praising neuro as a "thinker's" art, and yet the OP was unable to think of his OWN comeback?

Just wondering.

Does anyone else find it extremely ironic that you guys are praising neuro as a "thinker's" art, and yet the OP was unable to think of his OWN comeback?

Just wondering.

I don't get it, we're not talking about art??

Just wondering.

Nah, I'm sure that when DarthNeurology said that he couldn't think of a good comeback he just meant that none of the dozens of good options that popped into his head were simple enough to be understood by a surgeon. No sense in wasting a good zing on someone unequipped to process it... :D

Nah, I'm sure that when DarthNeurology said that he couldn't think of a good comeback he just meant that none of the dozens of good options that popped into his head were simple enough to be understood by a surgeon. No sense in wasting a good zing on someone unequipped to process it... :D

Yeah, I was going to use because Winged seemed she knows everything about residency application and what neurologists do that:

DN: Winged, do you the difference between God and a surgeon?

Winged: No.

DN: God doesn't think he(she) is a surgeon.

Oh Darth, surely you know that every field has its stereotypes of all others. Most take the outstanding strengths of a speciality and turn it into a weakness....

Peds: warm extroverted nurturers --> programmable pediatrons
Ob/gyn: high-energy take-charge women --> bitch goddesses of the night
Surgery: focused action-oriented interventionalists --> unthinking unfeeling cutters
Neurology: deep thinking analysts --> armchair mental masturbators, tending the "garden"

I'm sure others could come up with more colorful descriptors... but it's often the traits that a specialty most prides itself on that become fodder for mockery.

Oh Darth, surely you know that every field has its stereotypes of all others. Most take the outstanding strengths of a speciality and turn it into a weakness....

Peds: warm extroverted nurturers --> programmable pediatrons
Ob/gyn: high-energy take-charge women --> bitch goddesses of the night
Surgery: focused action-oriented interventionalists --> unthinking unfeeling cutters
Neurology: deep thinking analysts --> armchair mental masturbators, tending the "garden"

I'm sure others could come up with more colorful descriptors... but it's often the traits that a specialty most prides itself on that become fodder for mockery.

Nice little list BD I feel guilty laughing for all of them. Very true.

Yeah, I was going to use because Winged seemed she knows everything about residency application and what neurologists do that:

Given that I worked in the Department of Neurology at a major US allopathic medical school for 7 years prior to medical school and seriously considered it as a residency choice, I'd venture I know a fair bit about what neurologists do.

You'll also note that I deleted my comment several hours ago because I thought better of it because it was made in the heat of argument. Too bad you cannot say the same and felt the need to violate the TOS by calling me out and insulting me.

That's funny. It didn't even occur to me that the comment about neurologists was made in anger - it seems pretty par for the course as specialty insults go. This forum is rife with pseudo-feuds between neurology and radiology, neurology and NSurg, etc.

I don't think Darth's purpose was to malign you in specific so much as to launch a humourous thread where we neurologists could mentally masturbate with our own quips, but the point about calling you out by name is well taken. It was not wise.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.