Got some questions i hope you can answer

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rachit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in high school going into grade 11 very soon and in grade 11 you start to take prep. Courses for Uni./College. I have some questions about optometry as I am considering becoming one.
· What classes should I take in high school (Esp. Grade 11 and 12) (In grade nine my math avg. is 73 and my grade 10 sci. mark is 72 and my grade 10 math i havent took yet, also my semster 1 avg is 78) EDIT:Are these marks even good to enter uni. because my parents say i need higher marks?
· How is the lifestyle of an optometrist?
· Do you enjoy what you are doing?
· Is the salary good? (although this does not really matter but I am wanting to make at least 85-95k+ a year)
· I know there is only two schools for opt. in Canada, one being in Waterloo and other being in Quebec, and because I can't speak/read good French I am only left with waterloo. Is the competiton hard to get into schools for the U.S.A or Canada
· Is it easier to go international for opt. School and then come back and do like a extra year or test to be a opt. (like uk or Asia)
· What classes I should take in uni. (before entering opt. school)
· Avg. marks to get into uni. For undergrad (before entering opt.) and for opt. School?
· Is it better to work in Canada or US. Which makes better money U.S opt. or Canada Opt.(again doesn't really matter)

*: The bold is the question and the un-bold is more info. on the question
It be better if a Canadian doctor answer this or someone who knows a lot about Canadian opt. However, it does not really matter.

I know its a lot of questions but if you can even answer one of them it would be easier for me to make my career choice as my school says its good to start to decide what you want to be in grade 10 going into grade 11 so then you can choose the proper courses.

Members don't see this ad.

High school classes: does not matter at all. My major in high school was fine arts because my plan was to go into architecture after high school. The only science classes which I took were chemistry and physics (grade 9 and 10 everyone took basic science classes but in grade 11 you choose an upper level science class. I chose chemistry). After high school, I chose to go into optometry, which was a complete opposite from art/architecture. So it does not matter at all what you take in high school. However, I do highly recommend chemistry and physics and biology. Chemistry made my first year of college like a review.

Salary: after graduation from optometry school, you instantly make about $80,000.

International school: don't do international schools except for Canada. For example, England and Australia gives you a B.S. degree rather than an OD (Doctor of Optometry).
Asia, I don't know. Last week I just found out that ICO has a program in Thailand that was started a few years ago. It is only a 5 minute drive or less from where I used to live! The university is almost literally in my backyard. But I don't know if you get a BS or OD.

Pre-reqs for optometry school:
Go to the website of all the optometry schools because some schools vary in the requirements. But generally you need:

- general chemistry and lab
- general biology and lab
- organic chemistry 1 and 2
- organic chemistry lab
- Physics 1 and 2 plus labs
- microbiology or bacteriology
- biochemistry
- algebra
- trig.
- calculus
- psychology
- . . .

delete:
- duplicate reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in high school going into grade 11 very soon and in grade 11 you start to take prep. Courses for Uni./College. I have some questions about optometry as I am considering becoming one.
· What classes should I take in high school (Esp. Grade 11 and 12) (In grade nine my math avg. is 73 and my grade 10 sci. mark is 72 and my grade 10 math i havent took yet, also my semster 1 avg is 78)
· How is the lifestyle of an optometrist?
· Do you enjoy what you are doing?
· Is the salary good? (although this does not really matter but I am wanting to make at least 85-95k+ a year)
· I know there is only two schools for opt. in Canada, one being in Waterloo and other being in Quebec, and because I can’t speak/read good French I am only left with waterloo. Is the competiton hard to get into schools for the U.S.A or Canada
· Is it easier to go international for opt. School and then come back and do like a extra year or test to be a opt. (like uk or Asia)
· What classes I should take in uni. (before entering opt. school)
· Avg. marks to get into uni. For undergrad (before entering opt.) and for opt. School?
· Is it better to work in Canada or US. Which makes better money U.S opt. or Canada Opt.(again doesn’t really matter)

*: The bold is the question and the un-bold is more info. on the question
It be better if a Canadian doctor answer this or someone who knows a lot about Canadian opt. However, it does not really matter.

I know its a lot of questions but if you can even answer one of them it would be easier for me to make my career choice as my school says its good to start to decide what you want to be in grade 10 going into grade 11 so then you can choose the proper courses.

Egads man, calm yourself. I'm fairly confident in saying that high school classes only matter as far as getting into a decent college is concerned. I will say that taking AP Chem/Physics/Calculus paid off in undergrad for when I took those classes over again (easiest A's ever). Otherwise, just talk to your guidance counselor and figure out the best way to get you into a good undergrad.

OJDIDITFORTHELULZ.JPG

oh my gosh man settle down

dont give yourself an aneurysm

What classes should I take in high school (esp. Grade 11 and 12)
-science classes and fun classes (you'll never be in high school again!)

Are these marks even good to enter uni. because my parents say i need higher marks?
-your parents are probably just looking out for you. you'll get in somewhere...

How is the lifestyle of an optometrist?
-i'm just a student, but lifestyles depend on how you spend your money, not necessarily on how much money you make.

Do you enjoy what you are doing?
-in school, yes (most of the time!)

Is the salary good? (although this does not really matter but I am wanting to make at least 85-95k+ a year)
-again, it depends where and how you practice...

Is the competiton hard to get into schools for the U.S.A or Canada?
-it's hard to get into grad school everywhere

Is it easier to go international for opt. School and then come back and do like a extra year or test to be a opt. (like uk or Asia)
-from what i know, they don't translate very well - i.e. an OD from Iran who wants to come over here and be an OD can't just start up a practice. they have to go to a US school and finish all four years too. So, in short, no - that won't really work.

What classes I should take in uni.(before entering opt. school)
-the pre-reqs that are required (check each school's website for info)
-core sciences, upper level sciences, a few psych/soc courses, statistics, etc.

Avg. marks to get into uni. For undergrad (before entering opt.) and for opt. School?
-well above average, plus good OAT scores will make your life less stressful
-also, apply early in the app cycle

Is it better to work in Canada or US. Which makes better money?
-again, depends on mode of practice and location... i think in the end it's probably a wash.