This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grandepike

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're looking for some gratification, I can give you that. I can't imagine what you may've been/are currently going through. I'm impressed!

But this post reeks of humble brag. How will they view your 4.0 despite having been diagnosed with cancer and undergoing chemo??? Is that rhetorical? What do you mean by lack of early determination?

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but this post reeks of humble brag. How will they view your 4.0 despite having been diagnosed with cancer and undergoing chemo??? Is that rhetorical? What do you mean by lack of early determination?
Sorry, I didn't mean at all for it to sound like a brag. I'm just a typical neurotic premed I guess. I should have given more insight into my early college; I have several C's on my transcript in lower level classes such as Algebra, and in general didn't apply myself like I have recently. So what I meant by how will they view it, is whether an upward trend would have any additional weight in my case.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone, I have a question regarding my future application... This past Summer, before my Junior year at undergrad, I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Mediastinal Lymphoma (cancer). I was determined not to give up my scholarship, so I decided to go on with my 18 credit hour plan of on-campus lectures while receiving chemo and subsequently radiation. I also saw this as a chance to prove myself, because up until this point I had mediocre grades (3.4cgpa, 3.6sgpa). With the end of the semester in sight I can confidently say I'll have a 4.0, which includes Orgo 1.
I know I don't have an MCAT right now, but what are some of your thoughts on a school's view of my GPA improvement, and do you think my lack of early determination will hurt my chances in the long run?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I don't think 99% of us could have done what you did. How we respond in the face of true adversity defines who we truly are. From one Aaron Rodgers to another - you are amazing!

To quote from one of my favorite lines in LOTR: "In the end it is only a passing thing, the shadow, even darkness must pass, a new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer"

Sorry, I didn't mean at all for it to sound like a brag. I'm just a typical neurotic premed I guess. I should have given more insight into my early college; I have several C's on my transcript in lower level classes such as Algebra, and in general didn't apply myself like I have recently. So what I meant by how will they view it, is whether an upward trend would have any additional weight in my case.

Upwards trends are always a good thing. As @Goro would say, you're proving the you of now is not the you of then. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It's impressive that you went through all of that and pulled a 4.0 even with Orgo I. I'm sure you'll have a good narrative for med school. Your 3.4 and 3.6 should go up from this 4.0

Do as well as you can from now on and maybe you'll have a 3.7/3.8 by the time you apply. Lots of applicants go through bad semesters and still have upwards trends and get accepted.

I don't think 99% of us could have done what you did. How we respond in the face of true adversity defines who we truly are. From one Aaron Rodgers to another - you are amazing!

To quote from one of my favorite lines in LOTR: "In the end it is only a passing thing, the shadow, even darkness must pass, a new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer"

Appreciate the good vibes! Let's hope our collarbone heals up soon, lord knows this team needs us.

Hey Everyone, I have a question regarding my future application... This past Summer, before my Junior year at undergrad, I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Mediastinal Lymphoma (cancer). I was determined not to give up my scholarship, so I decided to go on with my 18 credit hour plan of on-campus lectures while receiving chemo and subsequently radiation. I also saw this as a chance to prove myself, because up until this point I had mediocre grades (3.4cgpa, 3.6sgpa). With the end of the semester in sight I can confidently say I'll have a 4.0, which includes Orgo 1.
I know I don't have an MCAT right now, but what are some of your thoughts on a school's view of my GPA improvement, and do you think my lack of early determination will hurt my chances in the long run?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
In addition to your academic success, you will have a very compelling story.

I think it would definitely carry more weight!

Have you estimated what your final GPAs will be when you apply (or graduate if you’re taking a gap year)? I don’t think your previous grades will be a huge deal - especially if you end up applying with GPAs at or above the average.

Also, personally speaking, I didn’t take your post as a humble brag at all. As someone who has been dealing with a similar situation (although my tumor was benign), I can understand how proud you are of what you’ve accomplished; it’s a pretty big deal. I definitely agree that you will have a nice story to tell when applying. Congratulations, and I hope your treatment is going well. :)

Pffft hold my beer

Status
Not open for further replies.