Sep 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
On the bus leaving from Target. He was sleeping but I decided to wake him up anyway because even though I live 10minutes from the Illinois Medical District, I never really seen a med student. (Sad I know lol)

Me:Excuse me (he finally woke up but was staring off into space so I had to say excuse me like 5times)

Med student: yes

Me: are you in med school?

Med student: yes (tries to doze back off)

Me: what year are you?

Med student: 3rd year

Me: (all excited) I'm a pre-med, what's it like? What school do you go to? Is it a good program?

Med student: I go to UIC...it's tough(goes back to sleep)

I stopped asking questions because he obviously is tired...lol. Does this sound familiar to any current med students? (Dozing off any chance you get?) :)

Last edited:

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status
Medical Student
Protip: Don't be rude and wake up strangers on the bus just to grill them with questions.

Moving to pre-allo.
Exactly. What the heck, man?!? It's not like they're an exotic zoo animal (and even then, don't tap on the glass, sometimes it magically disappears and you get chased by a snake).

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status
Medical Student
I used to have to take the subway to high school everyday. I am now an expert at being able to fall asleep anywhere if tired. It's a useful skill in medicine to be able to catch some sleep whenever you can get it.
lol, I once fell asleep at a campus party/concert thing my friends dragged me to unwilling (I do social events, just wasn't feeling that particular one). I found the only clear bench, which happened to be 6ft in front of the speaker, and passed tfo. Sadly, Security did not believe in my ability to sleep through the noise unaided, and so I spent a fair amount of time that night convincing people that I was, in fact, sober and not passed out or in need of medical attention.

Jul 17, 2014
How people can sleep in buses is beyond me.
How people can wake up sleeping passengers is beyond me (unless it's the end of the line).

OP, there is a wealth of knowledge in the medical student forums re: what medical school is like throughout the four years. Use the search function and you can find tons of threads about all the nitty gritty, and you won't have to wake up any strangers on public transport ;)

Last edited:

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status
Medical Student
What'll be truly funny is if you get to have this person as an attending down the road, and by some chance s/he remembers this encounter & acts accordingly.
Oh, sorry, were you napping? Could you go write a chart on the 8 patients who already have charts when yours won't count anyway, just because I asked you to?

OP
FutureDocInDaHouse93
Sep 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
How people can wake up sleeping passengers is beyond me (unless it's the end of the line).

OP, there is a wealth of knowledge in the medical student forums re: what medical school is like throughout the four years. Use the search function and you can find tons of threads about all the nitty gritty, and you won't have to wake up any strangers on public transport ;)
Thanks. I'll remember this in the future :)

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
you shouldve thrown a pokeball at him, 3rd years are rarely seen outside their natural habitat
We still find you on SDN though. :p Does this count as your natural habitat lol?

Last edited:
Reactions: darkjedi

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
On the bus leaving from Target. He was sleeping but I decided to wake him up anyway because even though I live 10minutes from the Illinois Medical District, I never really seen a med student. (Sad I know lol)

Me:Excuse me (he finally woke up but was staring off into space so I had to say excuse me like 5times)

Me: (all excited) I'm a pre-med, what's it like? What school do you go to? Is it a good program?

I stopped asking questions because he obviously is tired...lol. Does this sound familiar to any current med students? (Dozing off any chance you get?) :)
Should have slapped your little annoying azz.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
EMDO2018 - What school do you go to?

Let me know so I can avoid it all costs. Too bad adcoms don't screen for internet trolling. =/

What universe do you live in kid? A. Most people don't make it. B. What she did was really rude C. talking like shes already been accepted is really cocky, and from personal experience = most people like that don 't make it. I forgot I was amongst pre meds, everybody who tells you real ish is considered a troll.

Dec 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
If, you get into med school. Most people don't make it. Especially little cocky ones like you, they usually become teachers or nurses.
Damn son, chill. Yes, she should not have bothered him, but a little confidence is okay.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2012
Status
What universe do you live in kid? A. Most people don't make it. B. What she did was really rude C. talking like shes already been accepted is really cocky, and from personal experience = most people like that don 't make it. I forgot I was amongst pre meds, everybody who tells you real ish is considered a troll.
No need for anger my friend. I'm actually a 4th year medical student. There's no need to be mean to pre-meds or anyone at all for that matter.

Theafoni

True Blue
Dec 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you fail your anatomy exam?

Jun 12, 2014

The poor dear was exhausted. Don't go around waking people on buses.

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014

You are a weird one....

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
If, you get into med school. Most people don't make it. Especially little cocky ones like you, they usually become teachers or nurses.
Whoa whoa - I went to teach for 3 years before med school and it wasn't a back up. I quit my 6 figure job to teach. Not cool man...

Some people have the ability to go to med school but maybe they don't want to do medicine. Personally I wanted to get teaching off my pre-med school bucket list along with a R&D.

Omppu27

El Tiburon
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Pawnee, Indiana
Status
Medical Student
I'm shocked OP hasn't been ripped yet... I honestly can not believe it. I'm not the type to be an ass on these threads, but my goodness... Do people not find what she did ridiculous??? This dude was sleeping on a bus and she wakes him up to ask absolutely worthless questions (or questions you could've clearly asked somewhere else at a different time).

OP, med students are people too. Let them live.

claduva94

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
It's a progressive soul crushing. By the time you're a 3rd year and you see all the chipper MS1's walking around, you're just like

:p
So THATS why all the tours are led by MS1's...

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tied to a library chair
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You sound like an asshat.

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So THATS why all the tours are led by MS1's...
How do MS1's know enough about the school to give a tour?? 3rd and 4th years on research months and people on research years do the tours here.

claduva94

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
How do MS1's know enough about the school to give a tour?? 3rd and 4th years on research months and people on research years do the tours here.
I haven't a clue. But I'd say the vast majority if not all of my tours were led by first years. Maybe a couple second years. No one older than that.

Lamel

5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I had a similar encounter on a train ride to NYC. The dude sitting next to me had some surgery book open and I asked if he was a med student. He said yes, telling me he was trying to get some studying in before he goes up to the city to party with his friends. Lol.

Reactions: Omppu27
OP
FutureDocInDaHouse93
Sep 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I had a similar encounter on a train ride to NYC. The dude sitting next to me had some surgery book open and I asked if he was a med student. He said yes, telling me he was trying to get some studying in before he goes up to the city to party with his friends. Lol.
Lollol. Bus studying is always good.

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What's so soul crushing about it?
I meant it more as a hyperbole/exaggeration. I generally enjoy med school, especially now that I'm in 3rd year. But...

-Insane amounts of information that you are expected to learn and retain for 2 years, all culminating in the hell that is Step 1 (the only time in med school that I kind of regretted going to med school).
-Coming to terms with your place in the class. Many of us were used to being at the top of the class in undergrad and getting A's, but when you put 150 people like that together, the group has to re-stratify. Statistically speaking, you're most likely not going to be at the top of the class anymore. Not that it's a big deal, just something to adjust to.
-Constantly being evaluated and scrutinized on rotations
-Progressive jadedness
-Realizing that there's a lot to medicine you didn't know about
-Less time for things you enjoy doing. I haven't picked up my instrument in 6 months, after playing for 17 years, because I no longer have time for an orchestra or ensemble, and that is what drove my practicing/performing. I still do a couple things outside of school, but my time doing them is extremely limited ever since Step 1 and 3rd year.

Sleep is a precious commodity to MS3's. :p

Mar 29, 2012
Status
I meant it more as a hyperbole/exaggeration. I generally enjoy med school, especially now that I'm in 3rd year. But...

-Insane amounts of information that you are expected to learn and retain for 2 years, all culminating in the hell that is Step 1 (the only time in med school that I kind of regretted going to med school).
-Coming to terms with your place in the class. Many of us were used to being at the top of the class in undergrad and getting A's, but when you put 150 people like that together, the group has to re-stratify. Statistically speaking, you're most likely not going to be at the top of the class anymore. Not that it's a big deal, just something to adjust to.
-Constantly being evaluated and scrutinized on rotations
-Progressive jadedness
-Realizing that there's a lot to medicine you didn't know about
-Less time for things you enjoy doing. I haven't picked up my instrument in 6 months, after playing for 17 years, because I no longer have time for an orchestra or ensemble, and that is what drove my practicing/performing. I still do a couple things outside of school, but my time doing them is extremely limited ever since Step 1 and 3rd year.

Sleep is a precious commodity to MS3's. :p
As an MS4, I agree with what Ismet said. Although I have now become totally jaded and cant wait to complete my transformation during residency.