Got to talk to a 3rd year today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Literally cringed as I read that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How do MS1's know enough about the school to give a tour?? 3rd and 4th years on research months and people on research years do the tours here.

It was the same when I interviewed... Generally MS1s give the tours here too, and M2s and M4s will fill in if we have some major thing that afternoon (like an anatomy exam). Generally, most applicants don't ask questions related to the third and fourth year of med school, and we generally have an idea of what happens anyway (after talking with M3s and M4s through clubs and stuff).

guys come on leave OP alone. I had a very similar experience actually. saw a med student on the train, but then I realized he was just a normal dude probably around my age and went back to not caring.

...so actually I guess it was nothing like your experience. carry on...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will be less crushed if you realize that, in fact, you don't really "help" people, especially as a med student. In many cases they will not remember your name, what you did for them, or to take their meds. Or take care of themselves. Some people would rather, and rightfully, spend time with their family than take care of ungrateful patients.

Reactions: 1 users
How people can sleep in buses is beyond me.
Try doing a general surgery clerkship at an academic medical center and then see exactly why you'll be able to sleep if you ride the bus home.

It was the same when I interviewed... Generally MS1s give the tours here too, and M2s and M4s will fill in if we have some major thing that afternoon (like an anatomy exam). Generally, most applicants don't ask questions related to the third and fourth year of med school, and we generally have an idea of what happens anyway (after talking with M3s and M4s through clubs and stuff).
Hmm weird, my school the tours are led by 4th years, sometimes 3rd years. I'm surprised the 1st years at your school even really know their way around that well, especially if you guys show them your hospital/etc.

How do MS1's know enough about the school to give a tour?? 3rd and 4th years on research months and people on research years do the tours here.
It's bc MS1s are the first (and only) people to volunteer on admissions tours mainly bc they have an underlying motive -- to put on their CV, to hit on women in the possible incoming class to "answer any questions they may have". lol. And premeds are so busy trying to get to the next step the only people they will probably talk to are M1s, not those in M2-M4 who will have a much more helpfult range of experiences and more discerning information.

Hmm weird, my school the tours are led by 4th years, sometimes 3rd years. I'm surprised the 1st years at your school even really know their way around that well, especially if you guys show them your hospital/etc.
And many times those M4s are volunteers who are hand-selected to lead those tours. Also not all medical schools show the medical students across all the facilities, esp. if there is a VA involved.

It's bc MS1s are the first (and only) people to volunteer on admissions tours mainly bc they have an underlying motive -- to put on their CV, to hit on women in the possible incoming class to "answer any questions they may have". lol. And premeds are so busy trying to get to the next step the only people they will probably talk to are M1s, not those in M2-M4 who will have a much more helpfult range of experiences and more discerning information.

Ah, yeah leading tours isn't just a volunteer thing here, so that's probably an added incentive for MS3's and MS4's to sign up ;)

Ah, yeah leading tours isn't just a volunteer thing here, so that's probably an added incentive for MS3's and MS4's to sign up ;)
You mean they FORCE students to do admissions tours? Ours would just kindly keep knocking until all spots are filled, but usually don't have to as there are always enough suck ups in the class willing to do it -- the same ones who run for AMSA positions, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On the bus leaving from Target. He was sleeping but I decided to wake him up anyway because even though I live 10minutes from the Illinois Medical District, I never really seen a med student. (Sad I know lol)

Me:Excuse me (he finally woke up but was staring off into space so I had to say excuse me like 5times)

Med student: yes

Me: are you in med school?

Med student: yes (tries to doze back off)

Me: what year are you?

Med student: 3rd year

Me: (all excited) I'm a pre-med, what's it like? What school do you go to? Is it a good program?

Med student: I go to UIC...it's tough(goes back to sleep)

I stopped asking questions because he obviously is tired...lol. Does this sound familiar to any current med students? (Dozing off any chance you get?) :)
tumblr_m8njxrrpby1rvv4x1o1_500.gif

1. It's medical school. You knew what you were getting yourself into regarding learning tons of information.
2. Shouldn't be that hard to realize that you are one of the world's smartest people and not being at the top of the class doesn't make that any less true.
3. MSI, but I've heard from many sources that if you just get your work done, you'll pass the rotation.
4. Don't know how bad it gets yet, so I'll let you keep being jaded.
5. That's because you're an MS3. You still have 4 years to go in your education.
6. Sorry to hear that. You will probably get that time back someday though lol
1. Knowing this fact and actually doing it are TOTALLY different things. And this is without the added sleep deprivation, and other school courses that are eating up at your time to study.

2. Yes, but it doesn make what @Ismet said any less accurate. Esp. at the medical school she attends.

3. Just getting a "P" on all clinical rotations is not a good thing esp. when it is well known that many people who received a "P" should have actually failed the rotation but med schools put pressure on faculty and residents not to do so.

4. Ismet is hardly "jaded" in the traditional sense. If you want really jaded - talk to EMDO2018 or Circulus Vitios

5. I don't even know what this means.

6. That was a stupid thing to say.

I meant it more as a hyperbole/exaggeration. I generally enjoy med school, especially now that I'm in 3rd year. But...

-Insane amounts of information that you are expected to learn and retain for 2 years, all culminating in the hell that is Step 1 (the only time in med school that I kind of regretted going to med school).
-Coming to terms with your place in the class. Many of us were used to being at the top of the class in undergrad and getting A's, but when you put 150 people like that together, the group has to re-stratify. Statistically speaking, you're most likely not going to be at the top of the class anymore. Not that it's a big deal, just something to adjust to.
-Constantly being evaluated and scrutinized on rotations
-Progressive jadedness
-Realizing that there's a lot to medicine you didn't know about
-Less time for things you enjoy doing. I haven't picked up my instrument in 6 months, after playing for 17 years, because I no longer have time for an orchestra or ensemble, and that is what drove my practicing/performing. I still do a couple things outside of school, but my time doing them is extremely limited ever since Step 1 and 3rd year.

Sleep is a precious commodity to MS3's. :p
so much jade, especially after psych, good god

i pretty much agree 100% with everything, the jump from preclinical to clinical is incredibly large, but that said I still prefer being on clinics vs preclinical

so much jade, especially after psych, good god

i pretty much agree 100% with everything, the jump from preclinical to clinical is incredibly large, but that said I still prefer being on clinics vs preclinical
Um, excuse me, but how is @Ismet being jaded?

Edit: Oops, realize you were saying you were jaded, not her bc she hasn't done Psych yet.

1. It's medical school. You knew what you were getting yourself into regarding learning tons of information.
2. Shouldn't be that hard to realize that you are one of the world's smartest people and not being at the top of the class doesn't make that any less true.
3. MSI, but I've heard from many sources that if you just get your work done, you'll pass the rotation.
4. Don't know how bad it gets yet, so I'll let you keep being jaded.
5. That's because you're an MS3. You still have 4 years to go in your education.
6. Sorry to hear that. You will probably get that time back someday though lol
I'm an MS1 as well and even I can see how naive you are. You don't even know if you'll pass 1st year, much less that you won't become jaded or that you can easily do well on clinical rotations, stop trying to tell people who have actually "walked the walk" how they should feel and what it is like.

You mean they FORCE students to do admissions tours? Ours would just kindly keep knocking until all spots are filled, but usually don't have to as there are always enough suck ups in the class willing to do it -- the same ones who run for AMSA positions, etc.

Of course we're not forced (Ismet and I are at the same school). It's called getting paid. Extra cash for interview season or attitude adjustment hour. :)

Of course we're not forced (Ismet and I are at the same school). It's called getting paid. Extra cash for interview season or attitude adjustment hour. :)
They pay you guys to give tours? Must be just your school.

They pay you guys to give tours? Must be just your school.

How else do you find students to work to cover tours 4 days a week in the fall during a prime 2 hour slot in the morning?

ddc181081017026cbfa16f830f8faf956eea30f54290cfe1e064b17f32e1a993.jpg

They volunteer for it for their CVs.

Yeah, well, if you want upperclassmen to give the tours and the ones that are available are all MS4s, a CV carrot in October really isn't going to help.

Yeah, well, if you want upperclassmen to give the tours and the ones that are available are all MS4s, a CV carrot in October really isn't going to help.
I'm surprised it's MS4s at your school. Usually it's MS1s/MS2s.

I'm surprised it's MS4s at your school. Usually it's MS1s/MS2s.

There are some mornings (not in a predictable pattern like all Mondays or whatever) where both the MS1 and MS2 classes may be concurrently having classes in which attendance is required, so this presents logistical issues in just having the underclassmen staff tours.

In an Ideal, very humorous world, this MS3 would be your interviewer in the future.

why would a third year waste precious time doing a tour

I kind of want to volunteer for student interviewing, if only to destroy some annoying bubbly pre-med in the most important 30 minute slot of his or her academic life.

We do tours during our research month or if there's a chill elective. It would be pretty impossible to get away from whatever core 3rd year rotation you're on to go do a tour.

From what I see from our third years, there are a few rotations where you have the schedule/time to do a tour that takes less than an hour. From what I've seen though it is still more common to see 4th years leading them.