SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Got Yelled at by an Admissions Secretary Today!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Supafly MD, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Supafly MD

Supafly MD Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Tee-dot, CANADA
    Today, I called one of the schools I am waitlisted at to check on my eternal "no decision yet" status. I guess I caught the admissions secretary at a bad time(16:30) because she freaked out on me. She was like "I already know your name...there's nothing I can tell you...if you don't hear anything by Aug.2nd thats it...blah blah! She wouldn't even give me a chance to ask a question. Yeah, it was pretty shattering to say the least.

Do you think my chances a ruined because of this incident? I don't know whether these secretaries have much clout... Has anyone ever had a run-in with an admissions secretary?

Requesting much-needed advice!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Bikini Princess

Bikini Princess 7+ Year Member

May 26, 2002
    i've heard of secretaries sounding angry from repeated calls and people still getting acceptances, i think. you'll know in three days anyway, right? it probably couldn't have made much of a difference?

4. none

none 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    I think her reaction has nothing to do with your acceptance/rejection status. Absolutely nothing.

5. WaitingImpatiently

WaitingImpatiently Long Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I don't think that necessarily hurt your chances at admission, but if I were on the receiving end of that, I'd have crapped in my pants! DAMN!!!!

Anyway, I called a school a lot when I was waitlisted too, and I eventually got in. The person on the phone eventually recognized my voice, too, but she seemed cool about it.

6. Ryo-Ohki

Ryo-Ohki 7+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2002
    You won't get in....

because medical school admissions are based on how much the secretary likes you. It has nothing to do with your hard work or merit (GPA, MCAT, LORs, research/volunteer) nor any considerations in picking the best prospective students

7. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen 10+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Hospital
    i wouldn't worry about it. at this point there is 1 week left, might as well call!

8. VC15

VC15 MS4 10+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I doubt it'll make a difference, unless you insulted them or were rude.

9. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger 7+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Calvin's house
    The secretary probably had a bad day. If you were nice, there was probably no harm done. Being nice to a secretary does you no harm and might even help you out, but being rude to one can definetely keep you out.

10. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat 7+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2002
    California
    I don't think there is any reason for the secretary to be rude, just because it's been a long day or whatever, BUT I am not suprised by it. How many calls a day do they get? I'm sure it is frustrating. Again, I'm not condoning it, but I don't think anyone should be suprised. Just keep your head up. Things will work out one way or another.

11. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Welcome to the Club!

12. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't worry about it. Yes, she was having a bad day. No, your admission won't depend on whether the admissions secretary likes you or not. Think about it -- if she wanted to go to the admissions committee and tell them not to admit you, she'd have to justify it, and "he calls too much" isn't going to be a good enough reason for them.

I know it's stressful. Don't sweat it.

13. Supafly MD

Supafly MD Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Tee-dot, CANADA
    Thanks, guys for all the support. But, things don't look good. Only 2 days to go and still no call for getting in off the waitlist!