Goucher, Scripps, Bryn Mawr app questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharona1121

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Decided to pull the plug this year and will be applying to Goucher, Scripps and Bryn Mawr.

Have a few questions that are applicable to all three schools' applications. If anyone could help answer them, that'd be great!

a) According to the websites, admissions are rolling with hard deadlines of Feb 1 /Mar 1. I just decided to pull the plug and have now started to gather my app together. I hope to have the full app submitted by Dec 1. Is that too late in the cycle or am I ok? Also, what is the timeline from app submission to interview to decision?

b) I know Bryn Mawr has an interview... do Scripps and Goucher have interviews as well?

c) My undergrad GPA and SAT scores are strong and I went to an ivy league school. The only thing I am scared about is a D in Chem in high school (final exam was way after I sent my undergrad my matriculation deposit and I wasn't focused on my final exams for a number of reasons). The rest of my high school transcript is really strong. All of the post bacs seem to require high school transcripts. How important are they?

d) Can anyone give me advice on who I should ask for my second recommendation letter? My choices are 1) current/past employer - will give me very strong rec. I work in a competitive industry and have worked hard to do well. 2) manager of a non-profit focused on public health. I worked for this non-profit throughout my undergraduate years. It was my main and favorite extra-curricular activity. Since graduation, I have not "volunteered" with this org per se (work 100+ hours a week, difficult to volunteer anywhere) but have continued to contribute via seminars, discussions, fundraising etc for this org. This rec would also be very strong.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Sharona!

I'm currently in Goucher's post-bac program, but I believe I can answer most of these questions and speak for all of the schools, as I think their admissions processes are pretty similar.

Rolling admissions is true. Goucher's deadline, while there, is not set in stone. So applying December 1 shouldn't be an issue. In fact, we have quite a few "late" applicants in the program this year. Goucher specifically doesn't fill the class until later (I think our program "filled" in mid-April, though we had a couple added after this date as well) so that they can include the strongest applicants of the cycle in their class. But with any program, if you apply by December 1, you shouldn't consider yourself that "late".

Goucher does have an interview...don't know about Scripps.

I honestly don't know how they view high school grades. I think they are looking for your abilities in the sciences, but if the rest of your classes are fine, you shouldn't worry about it too much. If it were a concern, I'm sure they would address that with you. I think most people realize that we all have different circumstances, and if your overall application is strong, I think they would understand.

In regards to letters of recommendation, I would choose the person you think will give you the strongest recommendation. How long ago did you graduate? Would this health organization remember you? Either would be fine, as long as they can account for your personal qualities and how that relates to your success in the medical field.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know!

I'd take the health non-profit manager, personally. Any kind of interesting health-related work truly does work in your favor and allows you to flesh out your developed interest in medicine.

Bryn Mawr gets a huge rush right after Christmas, so make sure you get your app in before then.

Lack of clinical experience is probably a weak point, but I can certainly see how those kinds of hours would prohibit such activities. If you get to the interview round, just explain why you didn't feel it was feasible and I think you'll be just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Runner1323 and NewsmansOwn!

Do you guys know how long the essay should be or what the recommended length is? I noticed that there's no word limit or page limit.. do you think a 750 page word limit is good (2.5 pages double spaced, 12 size font)? Or do you think they're looking for one pagers?

Do you guys know how long the essay should be or what the recommended length is? I noticed that there's no word limit or page limit.. do you think a 750 page word limit is good (2.5 pages double spaced, 12 size font)? Or do you think they're looking for one pagers?

Hey how 'bout that...For Bryn Mawr, there was a word limit last year -- I think it was 500 words. They must have changed it for this year. Well, I'd say 750 is fine -- the only reason they'd take out the limit is because they felt people might have more to say.

That being said, my advice is to keep it as concise as possible. The dean of the Bryn Mawr program, at least, is a wonderful woman, but she's all-business and wouldn't like a lot of BS in your personal statement.

I applied to Goucher in August, and they specified a 1000 word limit on the personal statement, which is around 2 pages single-spaced. If BM and Scripps don't otherwise specify, you should be safe if you keep it between 750-1000.

Hey guys,

In case other ppl are reading this post just want to add a few notes. I did some more reading on websites / application (including all the fine print). Goucher is 1000 words, Scripps is 750 words and Bryn Mawr has no word limit, although the assistant director said that most ppl send in concise essays (so I'm guessing 500-700 words).

Is anyone else having problems writing their personal statement? I'm having trouble trying to write "why I want to be a doctor" in a coherent way. So many things influenced this decision and I just don't know what to take out what to leave in etc...

Also, Bryn Mawr also has a second statement in which you can write anything about yourself. Are there any suggested topics for this second essay? What did other folks write about in the past?

In regards to what to write for the essay, I'd try to pick the most compelling personal reasons you have. It is pretty much a personal statement, similar to what you might get for med school apps. Given the volume of applications these programs get and the diversity of backgrounds applicants have, I'm sure they can read straight through the usual cliche statements and reasons. I know when I wrote my essay for Goucher (I'm there right now), I had to go through at least three or four drafts. Don't just go for the "medicine is interesting, I want to help people" angle; really think about why YOU want to be a doctor. That's what will make you stand out.

Hey guys,

In case other ppl are reading this post just want to add a few notes. I did some more reading on websites / application (including all the fine print). Goucher is 1000 words, Scripps is 750 words and Bryn Mawr has no word limit, although the assistant director said that most ppl send in concise essays (so I'm guessing 500-700 words).

Is anyone else having problems writing their personal statement? I'm having trouble trying to write "why I want to be a doctor" in a coherent way. So many things influenced this decision and I just don't know what to take out what to leave in etc...

Also, Bryn Mawr also has a second statement in which you can write anything about yourself. Are there any suggested topics for this second essay? What did other folks write about in the past?

I wrote about listening to music while commuting to work everyday. Try to keep it light-hearted and don't mention medicine -- just try to use it to express how complex of a person you are through an activity or experience you value.

In regards to what to write for the essay, I'd try to pick the most compelling personal reasons you have.... I know when I wrote my essay for Goucher (I'm there right now), I had to go through at least three or four drafts.

Yeah, I took more than 6 months and nine drafts to hammer out my final product. It was hard to narrow my motivations and history into a single narrative. I finally stopped trying and wrote one long, messy version of the story where I tried to get absolutely everything in. Once I'd gotten it on paper, it was easier for me to edit everything down to a concise, coherent statement.