1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Gourman Rankings

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GoatBoy, Dec 14, 2001.

1. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Manboob Extraordinaire
    10+ Year Member

Does anyone know where you can find recent Gourmans Med school rankings on the net?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. who's gourman

and are they any other med school rankings other than the silly us news and world report? :rolleyes:

4. lilic

lilic Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

same question

5. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The Gourman Report is a list of schools (medical, law, undergrad, etc.) that are ranked by different methods (graduate salaries, % of graduates continuing their education, best "X" department, etc.) and compiled together into themed books that you can buy. Most guidance counselors have them. At least the guidance counselors I saw, anyway. Apparently, they list the reports online now.

And yes. This is an alternative ranking system to US News' system.

6. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Unfortunately, the Gourman guy died several years ago, so there haven't been any real updates since, I think, 1995. His rankings were always controversial because they always seemed to have a subjective bias to them.

I think all libraries should have an old copy of the rankings.

7. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

You can find them online at: <a href="http://www.sanet.co.kr/html3/mdgourman.html" target="_blank">http://www.sanet.co.kr/html3/mdgourman.html</a>

There are a bunch of numerous threads about Gourman. Do a search and pull it up...

8. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, brandonite, just can't let SDN's grammar/usage go to hell in a handbasket. Either there are a bunch of threads, or there are numerous threads, but a bunch of numerous threads? ;) :p :D

9. brandonite

Aw, c'mon SMW! That's going a little too far, don't ya think? :p

One little mistake after 200 and some posts! I think I deserve a little slack here! :p :D

Especially after I went and searched for that thread, pulled it up, and linked it! I could've taken the easy route, and told him to search for it, but no! Being the swell guy that I am, I looked it up! And now you have the nerve to call me on one spelling mistake! Geez... :p :p :p

:D (in case all the smiley's didn't properly indicate sarcasm... wouldn't want to start a new flame war over this...)

10. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

11. brandonite

Grrr.... I'm not talking to you anymore!!

:D

12. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmmmmm.....maybe numerous bunch of threads would have worked.... I think we're up too late. ;) Well, at least for SDN. Now if we were out on the town, instead, it would still be early! :D

13. brandonite

I'm trying (and failing) to study biochem, so that's my excuse. But I'm getting distracted very easily. Alas, memorizing the structure of all common sugars seems unable to hold my attention. Shocking, no?

I wasn't aware there was much of a nightlife in Anchorage. ;)

(hey, you were asking for it... ;) )

14. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, Anchorage is very cosmopolitan! Being the largest population center in Alaska and on the Pacific Rim and all (also very earthquake-prone for the latter reason). We have a symphony, opera, great restaurants, numerous brewhouses, a world class ski resort, and a motley assortment of bars and clubs.

15. brandonite

But, isn't it, like, really, like cold? (valley girl accent...) And, like, dark all day long?

I suppose that Canadians shouldn't be allowed to say things like that. ;) The capital city of my province (Winnipeg) is a city of almost 700 000, and although it isn't really a tourist centre, it's still a great city. And almost nobody has ever heard of it...

16. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

If we aren't careful they're going to move us to the lounge! :D What do you think of the Gourman ratings, btw?

I had no idea Winnipeg was that big! :oops: Although I have heard of it. :D Is that where you live?

17. brandonite

I'm from Brandon (hence the name), which is about two hours away. About 50 000 people. Little college town, basically. But Brandon isn't too exciting, so for a night on the town, we usually go to Winnipeg. Most people know about Winnipeg because we once had a pro hockey team. Go figure...

I think Jaimer will pass over the thread because of the title. We have to be sneaky... :D

I like the Gourman ratings because they rate my university higher than anywhere else. :D It makes me look better. ;)

18. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Anchorage is quite a hockey town too. Everyone plays -- all the guys, lots of girls (not me!), men and women of all ages. I spent years going to watch my brother's and the local college team's games! Two hours each way for a night on the town!! You have to get a pretty early start! :D

19. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

20. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i like em cause they got pritzker #6, but it's hard for anyone to respect rankings with no methodology given. at least usnews tells you the things they do, however dumb they may be