Gourman report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSuga

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if the gourman report ranking med schools can be found online? i know there's a book, but i was hoping to check it out on the web...

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.sanet.co.kr/html3/mdgourman.html

I have no idea whose site this is. There used to be another site that had the same rankings and it called them the 1998 gourman report rankings, so I'd guess these are 98 numbers. These things are so ridiculus, at least usnews, for all their problems, will let you look at all the things they do stupidly in their rankings, gourman just spits a number at you. But hey, I love pritzker and he's got em #6, so I'll endorse his rankings ;)

How do you know which Virginia, Michigan, or North Carolina school they are referring to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't put too much faith in Mr. Gourman's rankings. I don't see a few great schools in that list.

Originally posted by Suz177:
•How do you know which Virginia, Michigan, or North Carolina school they are referring to?•

I think you can assume they are all refering to Univ of Va/M/NC

Thanks for the input! I know gourman rankings are controversial and i plan on taking them w/ a grain of salt!

I checked the Gourman reports at my library from 1980 till 1997 (editions 1-8) and the rankings have not changed. Pritzker is still at 6th (which makes me ecstatic as well, coop) but Baylor is ranked at 33rd, and has never broken the top 30! and Tulane is in the top 20? Yeah, I think we gotta take this Gourman guy with a grain of salt. But I love em anyways.

The Gourman reports are no less controversial than the US News & World Reports. Beyond the assumed top 5 medical schools, the rest could be ranked anywhere. I put as much faith in the Gourman Report as I do US News & World.

Bottome Line: The top ranked school is the one you feel the most comfortable in. Don't get caught up in rankings.

An important note about rankings is that while they don't really matter in terms of education they are a good judge of public perception. That's one nice thing about the USNews rankings, they rank schools based primarily on reputation with senior faculty who are the ones who will be making residency decisions. Anyhow, rankings are kind of self serving. They are only useful if they are widespread and accepted. Since you're really only talking about a 'prestige' factor, if people aren't aware that your school is ranked #5 then it really doesn't matter. That's the only reason that I prefer USNews...it's rankings are more widely read. Anyhow, that's just how I see it. Also, what's the deal with Davis and Illinois being ranked so high in the Gourman list? :)

Later,

Adam