GPA 2.9 chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nadia01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a GPA of 2.9 did really horrible my freshman year. I am 21 set to graduate in may will be taking my mcat in august.. how bad do i stand? I am extremely devoted to going on to med school. Any ideas to boost my chances or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to explain more about your application including volunteering, shadowing, etc. Without an MCAT score, it's also impossible to say. Unfortunately, a 2.9 will require you to do some amazing things to overcome it. I suggest you don't apply and instead do some post-bacc work and research to strengthen your application.

It's not impossible, especially if you're not averse to Osteopathic schools. They generally have average stats slightly below MD's but they seem more willing to look at your other qualifications than most MD programs.

But if you're going to get in, you're going to have to rock the MCAT, and the rest of your app better be pretty amazing.

We don't know enough to say anything about your prospects. Maybe you could share some more with us?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. I have a cumulative GPA of a 2.9. During my Senior year I did research at Cornell, however I was never published. I was also the head of our schools Science society for my junior year and half of my senior year. its not much but its something.
I took the MCAT and did poorly. I got a 25. With a 10 in VR, a 7 in PS and a 8 in BS. I took a while studying but in all honesty I know I could have done more.
Due to all these poor outcomes I took a year off, did some traveling and worked just to get my head straight and to figure out if this is something I really want to do. What I realized was this desire of mine to become a doctor is not something thats just going to go away. I really want this.
So now I am left with these horrible grades, and I need to know my options. I so badly want to get into a US Medical school. I gave thought to the idea of a DO and also the idea of going to the caribbean. I am not here to stir controversy between the different schools. But speaking on a personal level I would most want to get into an allopathic School in the US.

Is this still possible? What do I have to do?
I am willing to take the MCAT over and I am also willing to do a post-bacc or a SMP. But is this going to be enough to get my foot in the door?

Give it to me straight.

at this point your best option would be to go the DO route, retake classes till you're at 3.2 retake the mcat and try to score 26-28 minimum. Or you would have to do an unofficial post bacc, raise your gpa to at least a 3.2-3.3 (many of the competitve smps have 3.3-3.4) retake the mcat get a 29-31 range, and apply for a competitve SMP, then do med school after that. I dont see many other options outisde of that.