SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

GPA 3.1 URM CA State univ. attending CMB masters program

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Mr.Brown, May 15, 2014.

1. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 5+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2012
    hSDN Member
    hSDN Alumni
    What is your cGPA and sGPA? Depending on how low your GPA is, DO might be your best option. If you're taking the MCAT, be prepared to study for it A LOT and do not rely on the fact that you may think you are good at taking tests.

If you're doing an MS anyways, take whatever courses you want. If you still need GPA repair, an MS might not be the best option. It doesn't matter what happens at your own specific institution. Graduate classes tend to be grade inflated in many places, so that's the stigma that they will usually hold.

4. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    So if i take classes during my MS that are undergrad courses does amcas count those toward my undergrad GPA?

5. wiggitywack12

wiggitywack12

Feb 20, 2015

No, your undergraduate GPA is the GPA on your undergraduate degree transcript. After you graduate that does not change.

I've noticed that MD admission committees do still weigh undergraduate GPA pretty heavily. I've seen applicants with 3.1 undergrad GPAs with 3.9 grad GPAs + solid MCAT scores still get rejected from schools they would have at least interviewed at with a good undergrad GPA.

Some have mentioned a bias against grades from most Master's programs because they're considered inflated (i.e., too easy to do well in). If you do well on the MCAT (at least 30) there are plenty of DO programs that might not count you out, but a lot of MD programs will still hold the undergrad GPA against you a bit. I would aim for a good MCAT, apply to plenty of DO schools and apply earlier in the cycle.

Also the MCAT is a different beast entirely from your average college exam and I wouldn't take it lightly. No offense but you had a 2.45 in undergrad....that wouldn't qualify as "good test taker" especially not by MCAT standards; the exam is massive and covers physics + ochem+ gen chem + biochem + anatomy + microbiology + genetics + verbal + social and biological foundations of behavior

If you struggled in undergrad its likely that your knowledge base of these courses needs to be brushed up on, a lot. If you bomb the MCAT along with having a 3.1 undergrad GPA your application will be thrown out by most schools (both MD and DO) and you'll waste a lot of money and time.

If anything, I would have suggested a 2 year masters program + another year research (or at least try to get something published) while you study long and hard to ace the MCAT.

6. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Sep 12, 2008
    moving to WAMC

Mr.Brown likes this.
  7. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    Calculate your gpa's using the AMCAS and AACOMAS calculators with the link found in the sticky entitled "Please read before posting" on the first page of this forum.

Which community do you represent?

Graduate grades do not remediate a weak undergrad gpa.

8. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

9. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

10. wiggitywack12

wiggitywack12

Feb 20, 2015
    Post bacc stands for post baccalaureate (AFTER your undergrad/baccalaureate degree)....so how are you in a post bacc program without graduating from undergrad? Post bacc classes are not going to be added into your undergraduate gpa because they aren't undergraduate courses. Masters programs are masters programs, they're not going to count as undergraduate courses. You need to see a pre-med advisor ASAP. You can't "add" masters program classes to your undergrad GPA...the fact that you're in a masters program means your undergrad GPA is already finalized, I'm a bit alarmed that you don't understand this, please see a pre-med advisor at your school as soon as you can.

The reason why your grad grades aren't going to cover up or make atonement for your undergrad grades is because adcoms will be comparing you to traditional pre-meds who succeeded in undergrad, so in fairness, they take your graduate courses into account, but they still have to evaluate you on your undergrad performance as well. The MCAT is still your chance to shine though, because everyone has to take that.

URM isn't going to help that much, the URM applicant pool is steadily getting more competitive (which is a good thing)...in essence you'll still need to do all of the same things every one else does and the school adcoms will still have to feel you are a fit. If you do apply, most MD adcoms want to see a masters GPA of around 3.8 and they usually don't bite unless the undergrad GPA was at least 3.3 and your mcat will still need to be 30+. DO schools are known to be more accepting so if I were in your position I would spend most of my app money there. You could apply to the lower ranked MD schools but they tend to be state schools that are extremely loyal to their in state residents. So its hit or miss there too. I'd say DO is the best bet for you. Good luck!

11. Doug Underhill

Doug Underhill 2+ Year Member

Sep 2, 2011
    The South
    He can definitely get into a good MD program with a good MCAT. Hispanic applicants with a uGPA of 3.3 and a MCAT of 30-32 have a 60% chance of at least one acceptance to a MD program. You mentioned adding those grades to your uGPA somehow, so you should probably do that.

wiggitywack12 likes this.
  12. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    Post bac grades are added into undergrad grades, Master's grades are not.
    Did you calculate your AMCAS gpa yet?
    There are so few applicants from the SJV that someone like OP (if they can show evidence that they will succeed) will get a lot of attention in CA schools, esp. UCD.

Cawolf and wiggitywack12 like this.
  13. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

wiggitywack12 likes this.
  14. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    So i should just close out my undergrad already and just receive my diploma because my post-bacc grades will be added to my uGPA?

15. gyngyn

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    Yes, they will be added, and they will be seen in a separate line (by year).

Master's grades (even SMP's) are not included in undergrad gpa.

16. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

17. gyngyn

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    A sustained period in which you maintain high scores along with a strong MCAT will go along way in calming nervous admissions committee members. How long and how many units will vary in the eye of the beholder.

18. Cawolf

Cawolf 2+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2013
    gyngyn likes this.
  19. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

20. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

Cawolf likes this.
  21. Cawolf

Cawolf 2+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I really wish you the best of luck. I can't emphasize how important it is!

Also if you are looking DO I believe that AT Still SOMA has a 3rd/4th year site in the greater Delano area - something I am interested in also.

22. gyngyn

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    Here's a phrase I've never seen before!
    Perhaps like the greater Goshen area I'm from!

Mr.Brown likes this.
  23. Cawolf

Cawolf 2+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Haha!

It is funny looking back at it. :) I double checked and it is in Porterville anyways!

Mr.Brown likes this.
  24. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

25. Cawolf

Cawolf 2+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Of course. I had thought the program was based out of DRMC, I was mistaken.

26. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

27. Cawolf

Cawolf 2+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2013
    No, but I worked out of Bakersfield for a couple years. I lived there last a few years ago.

28. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x

29. gyngyn

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    My challenge in advising you is predicting the MCAT. You only want to take it once and get >502. If you did this the first plan would work. You really need a good prep for the test. Have you gone over to the MCAT forum?

30. Mr.Brown

Mr.Brown 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    x