GPA 3.1 URM CA State univ. attending CMB masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Brown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your cGPA and sGPA? Depending on how low your GPA is, DO might be your best option. If you're taking the MCAT, be prepared to study for it A LOT and do not rely on the fact that you may think you are good at taking tests.

If you're doing an MS anyways, take whatever courses you want. If you still need GPA repair, an MS might not be the best option. It doesn't matter what happens at your own specific institution. Graduate classes tend to be grade inflated in many places, so that's the stigma that they will usually hold.

So if i take classes during my MS that are undergrad courses does amcas count those toward my undergrad GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if i take classes during my MS that are undergrad courses does amcas count those toward my undergrad GPA?

No, your undergraduate GPA is the GPA on your undergraduate degree transcript. After you graduate that does not change.

I've noticed that MD admission committees do still weigh undergraduate GPA pretty heavily. I've seen applicants with 3.1 undergrad GPAs with 3.9 grad GPAs + solid MCAT scores still get rejected from schools they would have at least interviewed at with a good undergrad GPA.

Some have mentioned a bias against grades from most Master's programs because they're considered inflated (i.e., too easy to do well in). If you do well on the MCAT (at least 30) there are plenty of DO programs that might not count you out, but a lot of MD programs will still hold the undergrad GPA against you a bit. I would aim for a good MCAT, apply to plenty of DO schools and apply earlier in the cycle.

Also the MCAT is a different beast entirely from your average college exam and I wouldn't take it lightly. No offense but you had a 2.45 in undergrad....that wouldn't qualify as "good test taker" especially not by MCAT standards; the exam is massive and covers physics + ochem+ gen chem + biochem + anatomy + microbiology + genetics + verbal + social and biological foundations of behavior

If you struggled in undergrad its likely that your knowledge base of these courses needs to be brushed up on, a lot. If you bomb the MCAT along with having a 3.1 undergrad GPA your application will be thrown out by most schools (both MD and DO) and you'll waste a lot of money and time.

If anything, I would have suggested a 2 year masters program + another year research (or at least try to get something published) while you study long and hard to ace the MCAT.

Calculate your gpa's using the AMCAS and AACOMAS calculators with the link found in the sticky entitled "Please read before posting" on the first page of this forum.

Which community do you represent?

Graduate grades do not remediate a weak undergrad gpa.

Post bacc stands for post baccalaureate (AFTER your undergrad/baccalaureate degree)....so how are you in a post bacc program without graduating from undergrad? Post bacc classes are not going to be added into your undergraduate gpa because they aren't undergraduate courses. Masters programs are masters programs, they're not going to count as undergraduate courses. You need to see a pre-med advisor ASAP. You can't "add" masters program classes to your undergrad GPA...the fact that you're in a masters program means your undergrad GPA is already finalized, I'm a bit alarmed that you don't understand this, please see a pre-med advisor at your school as soon as you can.

The reason why your grad grades aren't going to cover up or make atonement for your undergrad grades is because adcoms will be comparing you to traditional pre-meds who succeeded in undergrad, so in fairness, they take your graduate courses into account, but they still have to evaluate you on your undergrad performance as well. The MCAT is still your chance to shine though, because everyone has to take that.

URM isn't going to help that much, the URM applicant pool is steadily getting more competitive (which is a good thing)...in essence you'll still need to do all of the same things every one else does and the school adcoms will still have to feel you are a fit. If you do apply, most MD adcoms want to see a masters GPA of around 3.8 and they usually don't bite unless the undergrad GPA was at least 3.3 and your mcat will still need to be 30+. DO schools are known to be more accepting so if I were in your position I would spend most of my app money there. You could apply to the lower ranked MD schools but they tend to be state schools that are extremely loyal to their in state residents. So its hit or miss there too. I'd say DO is the best bet for you. Good luck!

He can definitely get into a good MD program with a good MCAT. Hispanic applicants with a uGPA of 3.3 and a MCAT of 30-32 have a 60% chance of at least one acceptance to a MD program. You mentioned adding those grades to your uGPA somehow, so you should probably do that.

Reactions: 1 user
Post bac grades are added into undergrad grades, Master's grades are not.
Did you calculate your AMCAS gpa yet?
There are so few applicants from the SJV that someone like OP (if they can show evidence that they will succeed) will get a lot of attention in CA schools, esp. UCD.

Reactions: 1 users
Post bac grades are added into undergrad grades, Master's grades are not.
Did you calculate your AMCAS gpa yet?
There are so few applicants from the SJV that someone like OP (if they can show evidence that they will succeed) will get a lot of attention in CA schools, esp. UCD.
So i should just close out my undergrad already and just receive my diploma because my post-bacc grades will be added to my uGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
So i should just close out my undergrad already and just receive my diploma because my post-bacc grades will be added to my uGPA?
Yes, they will be added, and they will be seen in a separate line (by year).

Master's grades (even SMP's) are not included in undergrad gpa.

@gyngyn Thanks for your replies. I have a ton of units from my undergrad so after this semester if i manage to pull off a gpa >3.85 i would have a 3.22 cGPA and a 3.23 sGPA with a total of 24 post-bacc credits. After that every 12 units of >3.85 would only increase my gpa by .04. Given my lackluster undergrad GPA, is my post-bacc gpa more for improving the number or should i try to reach 36-48 units to show that I can sustain a high GPA?

Im asking this because after next semester, if i do well, i will already be in the 3.2 range or if i complete 36 units with a 3.85 I will have a cGPA of 3.29 and a sGPA of 3.33. I know i shouldn't count my chickens but its what gives me hope. I'm 1/3 of the way there though with 4.0 in my first 12 units. Also would it look better if i took more than 12 units?
A sustained period in which you maintain high scores along with a strong MCAT will go along way in calming nervous admissions committee members. How long and how many units will vary in the eye of the beholder.

Yeah during my shadowing today i met a lot of hispanics who would tell me about the lack of hispanic doctors in the area. thanks for the info and reply. Im hoping UCD will give me a chance with a 3.3/3.35 and a 32+ mcat. still a lot of work to do before then though

I really wish you the best of luck. I can't emphasize how important it is!

Also if you are looking DO I believe that AT Still SOMA has a 3rd/4th year site in the greater Delano area - something I am interested in also.

Also if you are looking DO I believe that AT Still SOMA has a 3rd/4th year site in the greater Delano area - something I am interested in also.
Here's a phrase I've never seen before!
Perhaps like the greater Goshen area I'm from!

Here's a phrase I've never seen before!
Perhaps like the greater Goshen area I'm from!

Haha!

It is funny looking back at it. :) I double checked and it is in Porterville anyways!

lol thats basically where i live and im definitely not in the greater delano area lol

Of course. I had thought the program was based out of DRMC, I was mistaken.