GPA 3.2 Decent App. Doctor in my future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zackvella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a senior now and my final GPA is looking to be 3.2. Heres my stuff

Doctors Assistant in South Africa, Children Hospital [200 hours]
Black Belt
State Park Volunteer [500 hours]
WAFP [Washington academy of family physicians]
Key club
Rotary Club
F.B.L.A.
Personal shadowing in a hospital

Ive taken all the classes they require and recommend.

bio 1 2
chem 1 2
o chem 1 2
up to calculus
ethics
biochem

Do i have a chance? If not, what do you think. Thanks yall.

z

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a side note, I like the idea of MD and DO. Also, in the title, it was supposed to say doctor in my future[?]

z

Im a senior now and my final GPA is looking to be 3.2. Heres my stuff

Doctors Assistant in South Africa, Children Hospital [200 hours]
Black Belt
State Park Volunteer [500 hours]
WAFP [Washington academy of family physicians]
Key club
Rotary Club
F.B.L.A.
Personal shadowing in a hospital

Ive taken all the classes they require and recommend.

bio 1 2
chem 1 2
o chem 1 2
up to calculus
ethics
biochem

Do i have a chance? If not, what do you think. Thanks yall.

z

What's your MCAT? Without that, our amateur speculation is nothing more than pure guessing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would also help to know what you actually did in those ECs you listed. Did you hold some leadership position? Did you just write your name on the member list, go to one meeting, and never go again? Adcoms recognize accomplishments and valuable experiences, not membership. You also lack research, which is a negative at some schools.

Also, yeah, an MCAT score is necessary to make predictions. But even with a high score (35+), your GPA is only within range for a handful of schools.

With an MCAT score of 35, you'd have a decent chance at some less-selective allopathic med schools. With a 28, I think you'd be in good shape for DO med schools, many of which require a physician letter of recommendation, and some of which want a DO letter of recommendation.

Hey, Im taking the Kaplin study guide after summer school and looking to take the MCAT in May. i hope i do decent.

As far as my EC's all of them were over 2 years except the africa thing.

i held leadership in FBLA, KEY, and the africa thing.

What schools do you think i could apply to if i manage a 35 on the MCAT?

thanks so much guys.

z

Last edited:
Look at the school selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum (data is extracted from the most recent MSAR). Enter your projected stats. The program will give you an idea of schools in your target zone, reaches, and safeties.

Be sure to have recent clinical experience to put on the application.

Is there one of the excell docs for OD school? that was a very helpful program! thanks.
z

Post again when you have a MCAT score. Scoring a 35 is the minority, sure you can do it, but no one is going to take the time to give you a school list, just becuase you hope to get a 35, although I hope you do. Good luck.

Is there one of the excell docs for OD school? that was a very helpful program! thanks.
z
No, they don't have one in the DO area. They do have a "what are my chances?" thread, though, if you'd like to ask questions (in the Pre-Osteopathic Forum).

Dude I was in your situation 2 years ago. Same GPA, similar EC's. I studied for several months - took the MCAT, and got a 33. Then I did an SMP and am now enrolled in an allopathic med school. You have a lot of work to do, but if you want it enough, it can happen for you.

Best of luck.

The blue hour** your my hero. what school did you get in? if you don't mind sharing.
z