henry ian

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
This is partly a venting thread, also. I applied with these stats this past cycle and received only 1 interview which lead to a wait list and no acceptance. I mean, am I that far off in receiving an acceptance to an Osteopathic school? :(

kamakazi5

10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2007
Texas
Status
Medical Student
What are your ECs like? sGPA and cGPA? MCAT subsection scores? Any upward or downward trend?

edgerock24

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
This is partly a venting thread, also. I applied with these stats this past cycle and received only 1 interview which lead to a wait list and no acceptance. I mean, am I that far off in receiving an acceptance to an Osteopathic school? :(
How many schools did you apply to?

OP
H

henry ian

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2014
Status
What are your ECs like? sGPA and cGPA? MCAT subsection scores? Any upward or downward trend?
ECs are solid I think, many volunteer + internship hours in a hospital setting over undergrad years. Belonged to a group that raised money for underprivileged students in another country. Helped coach high school basketball students while helping them meet academic requirements to play

Big upward trend in GPA, got a D in Gen. Chem 1 because of a POS professor (seriously, I can PM you the story if you'd like. It's not that I'm just bitter for doing poorly). After that incident, my grades were decently better and in the harder courses. My worst grades were in classes when I first started. Off the top of my head I don't remember the sGPA and cGPA but it's very close w the slight edge to sGPA. I wanna say it's something like 3.37 vs 3.35

MCAT breakdown was like 125-124-128-124. Sorry I can't give you 100% specifics (not at the computer at the moment; posting from phone). God, now that i reflect on that, P/S was my strongest subject going into the MCAT and I pulled a 125. I wonder if I had gotten a 127-128 (like I did on practice exams), if I'd be accepted at that school. Ah

kamakazi5

10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2007
Texas
Status
Medical Student
ECs are solid I think, many volunteer + internship hours in a hospital setting over undergrad years. Belonged to a group that raised money for underprivileged students in another country. Helped coach high school basketball students while helping them meet academic requirements to play

Big upward trend in GPA, got a D in Gen. Chem 1 because of a POS professor (seriously, I can PM you the story if you'd like. It's not that I'm just bitter for doing poorly). After that incident, my grades were decently better and in the harder courses. My worst grades were in classes when I first started. Off the top of my head I don't remember the sGPA and cGPA but it's very close w the slight edge to sGPA. I wanna say it's something like 3.37 vs 3.35

MCAT breakdown was like 125-124-128-124. Sorry I can't give you 100% specifics (not at the computer at the moment; posting from phone). God, now that i reflect on that, P/S was my strongest subject going into the MCAT and I pulled a 125. I wonder if I had gotten a 127-128 (like I did on practice exams), if I'd be accepted at that school. Ah
Nothing outside of the MCAT seems to be standing out except maybe the D in chem 1. Did you ever retake it? A good number of schools require a C or better in pre-reqs. That combined with some schools having the 125 MCAT subsection cutoff may have taken you out of the running from a good number of places.

OP
H

henry ian

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2014
Status
Nothing outside of the MCAT seems to be standing out except maybe the D in chem 1. Did you ever retake it? A good number of schools require a C or better in pre-reqs. That combined with some schools having the 125 MCAT subsection cutoff may have taken you out of the running from a good number of places.
Yes, retook and got an A-
Are you sure about the cut off at 125?

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
I recommend you retake your General Chemistry 1 at a local college (community college would be fine) and aim for at least a B. Then apply next June and you would have a chance for an interview with your stats at these schools:
ARCOM (new school)
BCOM (new school)
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas (new school)
RVU-Utah (new school)
UIWSOM (new school-Texas)
There will also be several new DO schools opening for 2018 so apply to those.

OP
H

henry ian

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2014
Status
I recommend you retake your General Chemistry 1 at a local college (community college would be fine) and aim for at least a B. Then apply next June and you would have a chance for an interview with your stats at these schools:
ARCOM (new school)
BCOM (new school)
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
RVU-Utah (new school)
Already retook, got an A- I wouldn't have been able to proceed to gen Chem 2 and Ochem without passing it

Edit: apply to those schools only? Like I won't get in anywhere else or just add those to my list?

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Already retook, got an A- I wouldn't have been able to proceed to gen Chem 2 and Ochem without passing it

Edit: apply to those schools only? Like I won't get in anywhere else or just add those to my list?
Apply to all those schools. Many of those schools have a MCAT median in the 498 to 502 range for their students so those are where best chances are. You can apply elsewhere but your chances will be much lower as you already know from this past cycle.

OP
H

henry ian

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2014
Status
Apply to all those schools. Many of those schools have a MCAT median in the 498 to 502 range for their students so those are where best chances are. You can apply elsewhere but your chances will be much lower as you already know from this past cycle.
Should I apply again to the school that interviewed me?

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
ARCOM (new school)
BCOM (new school)
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
RVU-Utah (new school)
Do you know if there are any new MD schools opening for 2018?

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
There could be but it is unpredictable at this time. Roseman and the American Virgin Islands were supposed to open in 2017 but the LCME would not accredit them.
Thank you for the response!

OP
H

henry ian

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2014
Status
There could be but it is unpredictable at this time. Roseman and the American Virgin Islands were supposed to open in 2017 but the LCME would not accredit them.
Mind if I PM you?