gpa: 3.5, Mcat: 42

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMEng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, your MCAT is beyond incredible, and I think its enough to compensate for your GPA, especially if you have a good trend. I'd say apply broadly (top, mid and maybe a few low tier schools) and you should have no problem getting in! You should also be golden for your state school(s).

Members don't see this ad :)
any experience shadowing doctors?

also, any hobbies? Your MCAT will def stand out among everything else, but how about any sports or anything else you get involved in?

your GPA is decent (enough even without a 42), and your MCAT is absolutely terrific. stats wise, you are golden

however, your ECs/volunteering seem a bit bare. so if you can beef those up a bit. your MCAT is so amazing, and you really want the rest of your app to be great as well in order to maximize the usage of that MCAT.

You're golden. Aim high.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I have a chance at mid/top tier schools. Also, if you guys could suggest some schools, that would be great! My stats:

Major: Biomedical Engineering
Minor: Biology

cGPA: 3.50
sGPA: 3.54
MCAT: 42 ( 14PS 13V 15BS)

Extracurriculars:

Volunteer at 2 departments of a hospital for a total of 2 years
Volunteer at a Food donation program 1 year
A few clubs at the university (BME related, cultural, and intramural)

Research:

Research in a BME lab for 8 months, volunteering as a research assistant
Senior Design Project (1 year) cross disciplinary project (Med school and BME department). Project was also chosen for the semi final round for a student design competition (we find out if we go to the final round/conference in a month!)

Sorry if I forgot to include something. Thanks for your help!

Oh sh$t that is soooooo high. Apply to Texas and you are in for Baylor College of Medicine.

God... That score... You are in a select group of individuals. Congrats. You'll get in somewhere assuming your run the application cycle well (apply early, broadly, and interview well).

Goro has spoken

I'd just take Brown off your list. A lot of their matriculants are from their combined BS/MD program. You should be fine for the rest though.