GPA 3.6 MCAT 515 URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7331poas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Demographics
Resident: North Carolina
Mexican American (No I dont speak Spanish)
Computer Engineer

GPA 3.6 (3.25 after sophomore year; 3.9-4.0 in the last two years)
MCAT: 515. Only attempt

Research: 2.5 years including summers in a physical chem lab. 3 posters. 1 talk. upcoming submission. 2nd author (2000+ hours)

Clinical: 2000+ hours in a lvl 1 trauma medical scribe. Also 1 year volunteering in inpatient bed setting.

Shadowing: 50 hrs with general surgeon

Employment/Teaching: 2.5 years teaching daily, self-developed instructional courses for a pre-req. Employed by the school. Work directly with faculty. 2000+ hours. A lot of my application and motivation involves peer-instruction and "helping your fellow man" (if that isn't cheesy to you)

Non-clinical: 1 year working in the community at an adult literacy center. Essentially this is a place where adults, who did not compete secondary education in their adolescence, come to learn how to read and write. Really a great experience. Led by a local elementary school teacher and I assist. Probably also fits in a "narrative" of peer-instruction (200 hours)

Hobbies: Law/NBA/computer science etc.

School List:

UNC
Wake
ECU
Duke
UCLA
Miami
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Tulane
Hofstra
NYMC
Tufts
Mayo
UVA
UCSF
USC
Pittsburgh
NYU
Yale
Columbia
Mount Sinai
Einstein
Emory

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'm rural and SES as well if that matters.

Any reason why not UCLA or UCSF goro?

Last edited:
@gyngyn @Goro

Hello. I actually just received my real MCAT scores today and I ended up with a 519(131/126/131/131). I am very happy. anyways, do you feel that I could apply "anywhere" now or should I still avoid applying like "an all star" due to my GPA?

Thanks so much. Ill post a different school list later for your approvals.

Last edited:
@gyngyn @Goro

Hello. I actually just received my real MCAT scores today and I ended up with a 519(131/126/131/131). I am very happy. anyways, do you feel that I could apply "anywhere" now or should I still avoid applying like "an all star" due to my GPA?

Any school is yours. Evidence of commitment to undeserved populations will help you even more.

@gyngyn @Goro

You retook a 515?

Any school is yours. Evidence of commitment to undeserved populations will help you even more.
Are homeless considered under-served? because most of my volunteer hours are with the homeless, or do they take into account the race of the individuals i am serving?