gpa 3.78 sgpa 3.77 mcat 517 traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr.mkitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm curious if I set my aims to high.. and if perhaps I need to add a few safety schools to my list.. so if you could throw in your input, that'd be great.

Traditional student, white male (This'll be helpful!....)
Claim residency in Wisconsin
Biochemistry major at a non-prestigious state school
Total GPA 3.78
Science GPA 3.77
MCAT 517 (CP 128, CARs 128, BIO 131 P/S 130)
Volunteering:
-Mentor for an underserved child, 120 hours
-Volunteer at a Rape/Crisis center, 160 hours
-Assistant volunteer football coach, 80 hours
-Tutored students, ~35 hours

Other:
-College football player for 2 years
-Certified Nursing Assistant ~3400 hours (4 years, 2 different jobs)
-1 semester of Organic Chemistry Research

My school list I applied to: (in my opinion for rankings)
Reaches:
-Yale
-John Hopkins

Ranges:
Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Miami Miller
U of Rochester
Einstein
Vermont
St. Louis
Loyola

Considering applying to.. Rush, Loma Linda, EVMS, Creighton

Let me know what ya'll think...

Members don't see this ad.

With your stats you could receive an interview at any of those schools except the reaches. Add the ones you are considering as well as Rosalind Franklin and Western Michigan.

With your stats you could receive an interview at any of those schools except the reaches. Add the ones you are considering as well as Rosalind Franklin and Western Michigan.
Thanks for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Without research, it'll be rather difficult for those big name research powerhouses like JHU and Yale. If you aren't applying until next cycle and you want to aim that high, strongly consider getting involved in a research project.

Here are some schools I might give consideration to. Not an exhaustive list, more of a guide/brainstormer to get you thinking.

Mayo
Emory
USC
Wisconsin
UVA
Ohio State
Iowa
Boston U
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester

Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland
Quinnipac
Creighton
Saint Louis
Miami
Vermont
Wake Forest
U of Arizona

Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Rush
Loyola
NYMC
Albany
VCU
Eastern Virginia
Tulane
Western Michigan
Va Tech
GW
Georgetown
Rosalind
Tufts

The first group are all some pretty big name and competitive schools. Mayo is a long shot even for the absolute best of them due to the size of their classes. You do have an application with a solid amount of altruism and service to others and being a D1 athlete adds some intrigue to you and is impressive. Schools like Emory, USC, Wisconsin, Hofstra, Einstein, Rochester while all very competitive are definitely in striking distance. Iowa being right near you even with its stiffer OOS standards might be worth consideration. Same with Ohio State and UVA where it's possible you could be competitive even OOS.

The second group is more of a group of schools where your stats are definitely in line and where you have a rather realistic shot at interview. Your odds in general will be best at MCW and Wisconsin which both take at least half their class IS. Loyola is also near you so I figured I'd add it. As for these other schools, you are definitely competitive for all of them. I highlighted them because these aren't schools that get truck loaded with tons of apps every year. Wake Forest gets 8k. Miami 7k. Saint Louis 7k. All those schools also have slightly higher median stats than many other lower tier schools which favors you and your stats over more average applicants applying. Creighton gets under 7k. Quinnipac gets around 5k. Oakland is under 5k. U of Arizona is under 5k and while there is noticeable IS bias there, I think you are the caliber of applicant who can be competitive OOS which makes it a realistic option. Vermont is under 6k and less than 30% of the class is from IS(although Vermont is tiny as hell).

The third group is also all schools that you can be competitive for. But here's the problem with them; these are all rather low yield options. All of these schools suffer from at least one of the following problems a) Get way too many apps(think over 10k) b) show a not so insignificant level of IS bias. c) Tiny class sizes.
Tufts, Rosalind, G-town, GW, Tulane, Albany, NYMC, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Rosalind, Loyola and Rush all to some extent suffer from a). In particular, Rosalind, G-town, GW, Drexel, NYMC, Temple have it worst. Albany, Temple, VCU, Eastern Virginia, Loyola and Rush all suffer to at least some extent from b) by taking at least 40% of their class IS. Western Michigan and Va Tech with their tiny class sizes suffer from c).

So that's how I look at it. You have to ask a) where your median stats fit around that schools b) how you fit their mission c) how low yield they are. There are alot of schools you can be competitive for, even more if you add some nice research this next year. Sift through the ones that best fit you. I listed close to 40 schools on there, and I didn't even include the top names for in case you have research by when you apply. You don't need nearly that many schools. Pick smartly, and pick wisely. When asking for true "safeties", the second group might be better than the 3rd.

Reactions: 2 users
Cheddarheads :rolleyes: what's wrong with U MN (besides Packer haters)?

The research might be on the low side for the powerhouses, but I think the sky is the limit for you. Suggest adding Keck, Emory, Netter, Rochester, Hofstra, Gtown, Pitt, Northwestern, U Cincy, U IA, U MN, IU, OSU, Western MI, U Toledo

-Yale
-John Hopkins
Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Miami Miller
U of Rochester
Einstein
Vermont
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush, Loma Linda, EVMS, Creighton

The research might be on the low side for the powerhouses, but I think the sky is the limit for you. Suggest adding Keck, Emory, Netter, Rochester, Hofstra, Gtown, Pitt, Northwestern, U Cincy, U IA, U MN, IU, OSU, Western MI, U Toledo
Thanks for the reply!
Is Northwestern a pretty large reach due to my lack of research?

Might be worth a shot, if you can get more research hrs. If so, Vandy, NYU, and their ilk might be worthwhile as well.
One more question for you.
Keck isn't high on research, correct?

The third group is also all schools that you can be competitive for. But here's the problem with them; these are all rather low yield options. All of these schools suffer from at least one of the following problems a) Get way too many apps(think over 10k) b) show a not so insignificant level of IS bias. c) Tiny class sizes.
Tufts, Rosalind, G-town, GW, Tulane, Albany, NYMC, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Rosalind, Loyola and Rush all to some extent suffer from a). In particular, Rosalind, G-town, GW, Drexel, NYMC, Temple have it worst. Albany, Temple, VCU, Eastern Virginia, Loyola and Rush all suffer to at least some extent from b) by taking at least 40% of their class IS. Western Michigan and Va Tech with their tiny class sizes suffer from c).

So that's how I look at it. You have to ask a) where your median stats fit around that schools b) how you fit their mission c) how low yield they are. There are alot of schools you can be competitive for, even more if you add some nice research this next year. Sift through the ones that best fit you. I listed close to 40 schools on there, and I didn't even include the top names for in case you have research by when you apply. You don't need nearly that many schools. Pick smartly, and pick wisely. When asking for true "safeties", the second group might be better than the 3rd.

FWIW, Albany doesn't really have an in-state bias. I think where most of that comes from is the fact that 30-45 slots are taken up by combined programs with local universities, which themselves have a significant in-state bias with their student bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
They like service, hence my inclusion. Our wise friend @gyngyn might be able to shed some more light on this.
Though known for their service and clinical training, my review of the MSAR indicates that 92% of matriculants at USC had research experience as well.

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW, Albany doesn't really have an in-state bias. I think where most of that comes from is the fact that 30-45 slots are taken up by combined programs with local universities, which themselves have a significant in-state bias with their student bodies.

Yeah I heard rumors about that but I didn't realize it was such a large number. Either way, that makes Albany even more of a low yield school if so many of those spots are being taken up.

Reactions: 1 user