GPA:3.83 MCAT:34L. Review my school list please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s2h0ng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Here are my stats:
(in TEXAS)
3.83 GPA (BCPM~3.75)
MCAT: 34L
VR:10
PS:12
BS:12

ECs:
-50 hrs hospital volunteer (still shadowing through august so should end with 75-80 hrs)
-50 hrs doctor shadowing
-40 hrs on clinical trip to Mexico
-Bronze medalist at National Collegiate Tae Kwon Do Tournament
-90 hrs middle school tutor volunteer
-1 semester of chemistry research. mentioned in a paper but not an author
-1 semester job as Lab Assistant in Genetics Lab
-UTexas Tae Kwon Do Team Officer (April 2008-present)
-Pre-med Org Fundraising Co-chair (April 2008-present)
-Active participant in IM sports throughout 4 years in college
-Active member of various clubs throughout 4 years in college

My current school list is:
UTSW
Baylor
Yale
Dartmouth
UPenn
Cornell
Mt Sinai
along with all the other TX schools excluding UNT, Tech-El Paso

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You look like you have a really good shot at all the texas schools, but the rest seem like a reach. But it still looks good.

I think you've got the numbers, but I think your ativities may be your weak point esp for schools like yale and u penn

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to have had a late start on clinical experience as well as research (i.e. most of the activities sought by premeds and unwritten requirements). Your GPA is good but schools want to see how you would hold up doing research+shadowing+volunteering+clubs at the same time.

thanks guys. please feel free to suggest other schools that i would qualify for.

Im in the same boat as you are, some schools that I would recommend applying to are:

Einstein,
UCI (I am a CA resident and live next to it, but still it is a good choice)
UCLA (Currently Undergrad here, it's a great campus)
USC
Mayo
NYU
Wakeforest

those are some that I am thinking about applying to, you can check out my stats on my MDapplicants right under my avatar.

My stats and EC's were somewhat similar, you can see my mdapps for how things turned out.

But yeah, for those schools like Yale and UPenn, it's a gamble. Your stats aren't anything special for schools like those, they see a lot of 35+, 3.8+ applicants every year, so you really have to sell your EC's and then just hope you get a little lucky. Can't say much about the TX schools since I"m not Texan, hehe.