This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sampats

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
School List: (NJ Resident)

Stanford
Duke
Columbia
Cornell (maybe)
Pitt
Mount Sinai
Case Western
Emory
Colorado
Boston University
Rochester
Brown
Albert Einstein
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Miami
Wake Forest
Tufts
Jefferson
George Washington
Rush
Hofstra
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Loyola
Drexel
Cooper
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Quinnipiac
Albany Medical
Temple
Western Michigan
Creighton
Tulane
Wayne State
Vermont
U Cincy, OH State, Vandy, Baylor, UCSF, Keck, SLU
My list above. Chances of getting into med school are 100% on you. You should be focusing on getting into A medical school, but just the 30ish that make up the "Top 20".

My list above.

@Goro Thank you so much for your list! If you don't mind me asking, why did you put Cornell as a maybe? Also, do you really think I have a chance at Baylor, UCSF, Keck, and SLU as an Out of state applicant?

@Goro Thank you so much for your list! If you don't mind me asking, why did you put Cornell as a maybe? Also, do you really think I have a chance at Baylor, UCSF, Keck, and SLU as an Out of state applicant?
Oos means nothing to the private schools, and UCSF doesn't have an IS bias.

I rented the Cornell as a maybe based upon your GPAs.

Oos means nothing to the private schools, and UCSF doesn't have an IS bias.

I rented the Cornell as a maybe based upon your GPAs.
@Goro Okay I didn't know that, thank you! Lastly, do you think although my GPAs and MCAT are low for some of the top schools in the country, my publications (20+) will allow them to overlook my GPAs and MCAT?

@Goro Okay I didn't know that, thank you! Lastly, do you think although my GPAs and MCAT are low for some of the top schools in the country, my publications (20+) will allow them to overlook my GPAs and MCAT?
I just took a look at MSAR, you're only 0.05 points below Cornell's 25th %ile for sGPA for acceptees, so change them to a yes, apply there.

Add SUNY-SB to the list to keep you closer to home. Ditto NYU.LI, NYU itself is a maybe. I think you're OK to remove Drexel from the list, ditto GWU.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you have some strong connection to Oregon do not apply there. You should receive several interviews with your stats, including the more competitive schools.
@Faha Thank you so much for your response! What is your view on applying to Cornell or not? Should I leave it on my list? Also, do you think applying to Stanford is just a donation to the school or do I have a legit chance there with my stats?

@Faha Thank you so much for your response! What is your view on applying to Cornell or not? Should I leave it on my list? Also, do you think applying to Stanford is just a donation to the school or do I have a legit chance there with my stats?
You can apply there with your stats.

@Banco Do you think I have a legit chance at a Top 20 with my application?

I had a similar profile as you with slightly lower GPA and was interviewed by 8 of the schools you listed (4 of which T10-20).

Reactions: 1 users
@Banco Do you think I have a legit chance at a Top 20 with my application?

Yes but I'd apply more broadly to top 20s. you gotta sort of shotgun it all over and see where you get interviews. Add Cornell, Vandy, Yale etc.

Your best shot is for RWJ and NJMS, you should be solid there. Currently you have a few low yield schools on there imo that will resource protect you out: Oregon, WV, Loma Linda, Nova

@Banco Thank you for your message! So in regards to Top 20s, which ones should I apply to? All of them, or only a few? Lastly, how do you think my upward trend will look for the Top schools in the country? Will they be forgiving of my GPAs because of the strong upward trend?

@Banco Thank you for your message! So in regards to Top 20s, which ones should I apply to? All of them, or only a few? Lastly, how do you think my upward trend will look for the Top schools in the country? Will they be forgiving of my GPAs because of the strong upward trend?
Well it sounds like your goal is to get into a "top 20" school, of which there are really about 25-30 historically. If that's your goal, the more in this category you apply to, the better your chances. So whichever ones you want.

The caveat is that you need to have enough safeties and mid tiers, which you definitely do. Your best chances are for your in-state schools (the 2 Rutegrs are great options and you should get interviews there).

With regards to your GPAs, I can't really say as I'm not an adcom. I think the upward trend is definitely good, and your states are in range for pretty much all schools out of a few. But your extracurriculars will make you stand out, which you have a lot of hours of throughout the board - so make sure you play that up.

@Mr.Smile12 Would love to hear your advice as well. On top of the mid-tier schools I will be applying to, do I have a realistic chance at a Top 20?

@Mr.Smile12 Would love to hear your advice as well. On top of the mid-tier schools I will be applying to, do I have a realistic chance at a Top 20?
Why aren't you applying MD/PhD? You have so many pubs and more hours in research compared to clinical (which is still a lot)? I think applying to the 50-75 "top 20" schools might be worth the shot but you need to figure out what those schools rally offer. You don't give me a sense of how to you fit those schools outside of just numbers of hours and metrics. Those schools are more sophisticated and have their pick of strong applicants.

Unrelated but how the heck do you have so many hours for everything? All your hours added together over three years averages out to 9.3 hours per day. That's literally impossible given that you spend time everyday on classes, hobbies, other extracurriculars, and just living life

Unrelated but how the heck do you have so many hours for everything? All your hours added together over three years averages out to 9.3 hours per day. That's literally impossible given that you spend time everyday on classes, hobbies, other extracurriculars, and just living life
I'm taking a gap year, so take that into account. Not all of this was achieved in 3 years. I hope this helps.

Another obsessive “top 20” post. A dime-a-dozen on this site.

There is no “top 20” list of schools - just those that offer more or less resources, often correlated with reputation. But this is a gradient, not a “yes” or “no” - and many, many schools will provide you with more resources than you can ever need/use (which is part of the reason “top x” schools are never consistent).

Listen: your future will be fine, whatever school you end up going to. It will be great if you work hard, and enjoy what you do. Just focus on why you want to be a physician, and how you can achieve that (I.e., going to medical school, period. Having a backup plan if you need to take another route).

I see the same, constant fear vocalized and amplified on these forums - that somehow your “fate” is sealed by your institution. It is not.

Good luck.