GPA 3.94, MCAT 499, what are my chances? Apply now or take a gap year for service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lannypack09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Thank you in advance for reviewing my post.

I have a few different types of questions:

1. What are my chances now?
Double Major: Neuroscience and Psychology, Minors: Biology and Chemistry
GPA: 3.94
sGPA: Not actually calculated, but probably not far off 3.94
MCAT: 126, 125, 124, 124
I am aware that my scores are relatively low, but I didn't want to take the test again if I didn't have to.
Volunteer Experience: 300+ service hours throughout college. I have worked with several organizations including three full-week service trips.
1. Trip to Give Kids the World in Kissimee, FL where terminally ill children travel with their families as a get away. Worked directly with the children.
2. Trip to Belmopan, Belize. Organized an eye clinic with an optometrist and had Vacation Bible School with local children.
3. Trip to Billoxi, MS with a focus on hurricane disaster relief doing indirect service to benefit the surrounding community.
This December I will be leading a trip to Chicago, Illinois working with an organization that helps children who were part of domestic violence or other trauma.
Clinical Experience: Shadowed about 100 hours (pediatric ophthalmology, pediatric orthopedics, and in patient neurology) 75 hours of which were with a pediatric ophthalmologist where I called back patients and assisted in medical charts.
Research Experience: Assisted a senior neuroscience thesis (spent roughly 25 hours in the lab), currently conducting my own thesis on neurological effects of host behavior by parasites
Extracurricular Experience:
-Dance Department: I take technique classes every semester. I participated in our dance concert for three years and have choreographed full musicals.
-Dance Marathon: Two year Education Chair for a 12 hour marathon (and all year outreach) that raises money and awareness for pediatric AIDS
-Student Ambassadors: Three year representative and liason between students and alumni, on the executive board twice, serving one year as president
---I do have other experiences but these are the most notable.

2. My second questions is whether or not I should take a gap year to do service? I already took my MCAT and I am mostly ready to apply. I keep feeling pulled to do service. I have found several medical schools that offer programs to do in the summer or even while in school, but I feel like I need to do a program before I go to school? Should I try it or should I stay the course and just apply to medical school?

I am most likely only applying to DO schools and I am from Erie, Pennsylvania (I am aware of LECOM, but just want to know other options.)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What's the cause of your low MCAT score? I think that's most important. It doesn't make sense considering your GPA

Reactions: 1 user
With a 499 you mighty have some luck with the newest schools, and/or if you apply broadly. However, your score will be rejection bait at CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, the coastal Touros and KCUMB. I can't recommend LUCOM.

If you have test taking anxiety issues, get help for theat stats. We're addicted to high-stales standardized exams in med school.

Do NOT retake the MCAT unless you are 100% ready for it and have done better in practoce exams.

Hi all!

I am aware that my scores are relatively low, but I didn't want to take the test again if I didn't have to.
Volunteer Experience: 300+ service hours throughout college. I have worked with several organizations including three full-week service trips.
1. Trip to Give Kids the World in Kissimee, FL where terminally ill children travel with their families as a get away. Worked directly with the children.
2. Trip to Belmopan, Belize. Organized an eye clinic with an optometrist and had Vacation Bible School with local children.
3. Trip to Billoxi, MS with a focus on hurricane disaster relief doing indirect service to benefit the surrounding community.
This December I will be leading a trip to Chicago, Illinois working with an organization that helps children who were part of domestic violence or other trauma.
Clinical Experience: Shadowed about 100 hours (pediatric ophthalmology, pediatric orthopedics, and in patient neurology) 75 hours of which were with a pediatric ophthalmologist where I called back patients and assisted in medical charts.
Research Experience: Assisted a senior neuroscience thesis (spent roughly 25 hours in the lab), currently conducting my own thesis on neurological effects of host behavior by parasites
-Dance Department: I take technique classes every semester. I participated in our dance concert for three years and have choreographed full musicals.
-Dance Marathon: Two year Education Chair for a 12 hour marathon (and all year outreach) that raises money and awareness for pediatric AIDS
-Student Ambassadors: Three year representative and liason between students and alumni, on the executive board twice, serving one year as president

2. My second questions is whether or not I should take a gap year to do service? I already took my MCAT and I am mostly ready to apply. I keep feeling pulled to do service. I have found several medical schools that offer programs to do in the summer or even while in school, but I feel like I need to do a program before I go to school? Should I try it or should I stay the course and just apply to medical school?

I am most likely only applying to DO schools and I am from Erie, Pennsylvania (I am aware of LECOM, but just want to know other options.)

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the cause of your low MCAT score? I think that's most important. It doesn't make sense considering your GPA

I honestly don't know. It scored worse in some practice exams but 10 points higher in others. I didn't feel harder and I didn't really feel anxious. I don't really know.
But my high GPA doesn't make up for low test score?

With a 499 you mighty have some luck with the newest schools, and/or if you apply broadly. However, your score will be rejection bait at CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, the coastal Touros and KCUMB. I can't recommend LUCOM.

If you have test taking anxiety issues, get help for theat stats. We're addicted to high-stales standardized exams in med school.

Do NOT retake the MCAT unless you are 100% ready for it and have done better in practoce exams.

What does it mean to apply broadly? All my other experience and high GPA won't make up for my low test scores?

If I were to devote more time to studying, should I retake the MCAT?

I honestly don't know. It scored worse in some practice exams but 10 points higher in others. I didn't feel harder and I didn't really feel anxious. I don't really know.
But my high GPA doesn't make up for low test score?
If I were on the admissions committee, I'd wonder why your MCAT doesn't match with your GPA. That might make me question the rigor of your school or coursework.

You need to take more practice tests to figure out exactly what is making you score low. Then we can figure out how to improve that.

broad·ly
ˈbrôdlē/
adverb
.widely and openly.

...as in, target as many schools as reasonably possible where your stats are concerned, hence my list of exclusion above.

And no, your experiences and GPA won't make up for a poor MCAT score. Your score is a risk factor for failing out of med school and/or failing boards. In addition, the discordance between your high GPA and the MCAT is a cause of concern to Adcoms. You may have had serious grade deflation, didn't prepare for the exam properly, took it while being ill or upset over some life event (an indicator of poor choice making), have severe test anxiety issues, are a poor standardized test taker, and/or have reading/writing issues.

I strongly suggest a retake.

What does it mean to apply broadly? All my other experience and high GPA won't make up for my low test scores?

If I were to devote more time to studying, should I retake the MCAT?

Try to take advantage of any MCAT tutoring services at your school. Study smart (reflect upon what topics you really need to study). Also, take advantage of all the MCAT student guides/strategies on SDN. You'll get out what you put in.

I think if your experiences, letter, personal statement, secondary and interviewing skills are all incredible, you have a shot with that MCAT.

If you don't think you can do much better on a retake, then you should take a gap year working on your clinical experience. Scribe jobs are easy to come by. You can also try doing some clinical research at a hospital but those jobs are a little more difficult to obtain. You're good on volunteer hours in my opinion.

Why would you not recommend LUCOM just wondering. I am going to VCOM just wondering the stance from you on LUCOM.

OP do you realize that your 499 is around a 24-25 on the old MCAT? That's too low for MD no matter how great your GPA or ECs are. Since you are still in school go to student services or student counseling and ask for help. Either your school has huge grade inflation or you have test taking issues. You really need to find out if you do and fix it before you retake the MCAT. And you should plan to retake at some point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally don't see why you would not get in. I had a 505 and have gotten in two places so far and denied 5 interviews because I got accepted where I want to go. The 499 isn't bad and neither is any DO program. You will be a great doctor just like an MD and if you study in school you will do well on the tests because it should be your only focus unlike with the MCAT you have other school work, jobs, sometimes a family etc.

I personally don't see why you would not get in. I had a 505 and have gotten in two places so far and denied 5 interviews because I got accepted where I want to go. The 499 isn't bad and neither is any DO program. You will be a great doctor just like an MD and if you study in school you will do well on the tests because it should be your only focus unlike with the MCAT you have other school work, jobs, sometimes a family etc.

I also got a 499 and I am wondering if it is worth it. A 505 is way higher than 499, so i'm wondering if you could give more insight into why you think a 499 is still ok to apply with? So many people have told me to not do it.

I also got a 499 and I am wondering if it is worth it. A 505 is way higher than 499, so i'm wondering if you could give more insight into why you think a 499 is still ok to apply with? So many people have told me to not do it.

Because you never know until you send in some apps. A lot of people have a lower score but manage one acceptance somewhere. If not do a post bacc and kill it. Either way if you want it you got to go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I also got a 499 with a 3.77 gpa and I want to apply early to my IS school, but my premed advisor told me that they haven't accepted anyone that has scored under a 500. I am in the mid-west and the IS school highly prefers students within the state. Thoughts?

Because you never know until you send in some apps. A lot of people have a lower score but manage one acceptance somewhere. If not do a post bacc and kill it. Either way if you want it you got to go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you! I think i will just apply since I had I had everything ready anyways. worst come worst how bad would the "re-applicant" status look for next year? I usually hear that's it's not a big deal, but just like getting more opinions.

Hi all!

Thank you!

How do you have a double major in Neuroscience and Psychology yet still score 44th percentile in the psychology/sociology section. Just from having both subjects as your major you should have had a significant advantage over other people.
What concerns me is how you think that is acceptable... You obviously had to work your ass off to get a double major and a double minor, especially with a 3.94 GPA, yet you're willing to just run with a 499?

If you do decide to take a year off, strongly consider buckling down and re-preparing yourself for the MCAT. The rest of your app is too solid to be run down by a 499.

Don't listen to anyone telling you not to apply if you have a 499 paired with a high GPA. I agree with @Goro to apply broadly and early. If you have a great application otherwise, and by that I mean above average COMPARED TO other current applicants then you'll have a good shot. ESPECIALLY for you since you're from Erie, Erie would love to take you in!

Also one personal bias I have against this whole "499 is too low to apply and 500 is ok" is look at the percentile rankings!:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

For this year, a 499 = 25 old scale = 49%. Now, did people not apply with 25 MCAT scores? Of course they did, and plenty of them got into great schools (including this past cycle).

Are you referring to PCOM in PA or the GA campus? Or both?

PCOM in Philly
What is your opinion on PCOM in GA? I'm debating or not applying. I already have two II at DO schools. I'm taking these and waiting for more/MD interviews. Thoughts?

Don't listen to anyone telling you not to apply if you have a 499 paired with a high GPA. I agree with @Goro to apply broadly and early. If you have a great application otherwise, and by that I mean above average COMPARED TO other current applicants then you'll have a good shot. ESPECIALLY for you since you're from Erie, Erie would love to take you in!

Also one personal bias I have against this whole "499 is too low to apply and 500 is ok" is look at the percentile rankings!:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

For this year, a 499 = 25 old scale = 49%. Now, did people not apply with 25 MCAT scores? Of course they did, and plenty of them got into great schools (including this past cycle).

499 and 500 both aren't good. I know its about a year from the OPs post, but they really should have worked to improve their MCAT score. Not saying that you can't get in with that score, but the odds are not in your favor. That will turn you into a reapplicant and then it'll be even harder to get in.

But hey, don't believe people like @Goro who know a thing or two about what they are talking about...

Do you know that by writing a comment like this you could be steering away another "exception" who could get accepted but now you're basically telling them not to?

Do you know that by writing a comment like that they (thoracicguy) could be steering another 5-10 "rules" who will now re-take and give themselves a better chance at getting accepted by not having to be a re-applicant?

Do you also know that by writing a comment like that you could be steering several people to do the wrong thing and apply when they're not ready and then have their career path take a hit that's hard to recover from?

I have to intervene because I know some poor soul on the internet will read this comment and freak out. Your statement is not true. You can't say a score of 499 or 500 is not good (especially a 500) when almost every DO school states that it is a competitive score ON THEIR SCHOOL WEBSITES and a good number of people get in every year with these scores. Especially pairing that score with a 3.94 GPA. Don't believe me? I could tag a few people in this forum directly who just got accepted this cycle (2015-2016) with those stats. And of course you're going to say "Well, they're exceptions." No. Everyone is unique and if it was a game of numbers then admissions would take 1 month, not be a year long process. Another example: BCOM, new DO school, accepted someone with a 17 MCAT, denied people with >30 MCATs. Explain that? Another exception. Do you know that by writing a comment like this you could be steering away another "exception" who could get accepted but now you're basically telling them not to?

Just because they don't have a zero chance of admission doesn't mean they shouldn't make their application as good as possible. There are more rules than exceptions...