1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

gpa adjustments

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by spanky, Sep 3, 2001.

1. spanky

spanky Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been told that your GPA is adjusted by ADCOM commitees based on where you received your degree. Does anyone know the exact number of points that are added or subtracted for each type of school? For example, large state university with good academic reputation, vs. a small liberal arts 4 year college.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jasmine

jasmine Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think this is necessarily true of all places - I think this issue has been addressed somewhere else on this forum by someone who claimed to be in the know for admissions at UCSF or somewhere. I forget. Anyway, he said that the adcom committee added .2, .1, or nothing to a person's grade depending on where they graduated.

I wonder if adcoms are so prescriptive in the way they consider the difficulty of the school where one graduated.

4. spanky

spanky Member
    7+ Year Member

I spoke with someone in a med school admissions office who told me that they do in fact make additions and subtractions to GPA based on where you received a degree. I currently have a degree from a large state school with a non-science major, but I am doing post-bacc work at a small liberal arts college. I am close to getting a 2nd degree in bio from this school, but was told by the med school not to because they would dock my GPA because this school was not as prestigious. Since I already have a degree from a state school, they said that GPA for all classes would be based on this school's ranking. I'm just curious if any points will be added. Does anyone know?