GPA after first year in college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sshung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are premed or have applied/been accepted to medical schools, what was your GPA after first year of college? I just finished my first year at UCSD and my current GPA is 3.27 (44 units total). I did fairly well in all classes except lower division biology (got C and B in the 2 classes I took). Do I still have hope for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who are premed or have applied/been accepted to medical schools, what was your GPA after first year of college? I just finished my first year at UCSD and my current GPA is 3.27 (44 units total). I did fairly well in all classes except lower division biology (got C and B in the 2 classes I took). Do I still have hope for med school?

Yes

If it makes you feel any better....it is WAY better for your GPA to improve over time than start out as a 4.0 and go down steadily.

You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries, I started with a 3.3 at UCI my first year. Has been nothing but 4.0s second and third. Just show an upward trend, and you should be fine. :)

2.5 gpa freshman year. Graduated with a 3.5 gpa. I applied after my senior year though, but am headed to my #1 choice MD school this fall. Show an extreme upward trend and apply as early as possible.

Last edited:
I'm at ASU and I have a 2.253 (AMCAS GPA) or 2.55 cumulative ASU GPA at the end of my freshman year, 19 units total because I failed 2 classes, but I am determined to make a comeback against all odds and make it into medical school. I have been told by my advisor that as long as I consistently receive mostly A's and few B's I can do it, and I will. I'm smart enough to do it, I just let my social life control my freshman year and didn't study at all. I know you can make it sshung, consider yourself lucky. Do you guys think I will be able to dig myself out of the deep hole I created for myself?

If you improve from here, yes.

If you stay the same or get worse, no.

I'm at ASU and I have a 2.253 (AMCAS GPA) or 2.55 cumulative ASU GPA at the end of my freshman year, 19 units total because I failed 2 classes, but I am determined to make a comeback against all odds and make it into medical school. I have been told by my advisor that as long as I consistently receive mostly A's and few B's I can do it, and I will. I'm smart enough to do it, I just let my social life control my freshman year and didn't study at all. I know you can make it sshung, consider yourself lucky. Do you guys think I will be able to dig myself out of the deep hole I created for myself?

It's nice to hear that your advisor told you that because so many times on this site I see people saying their advisor told them to give up on going to med school after a few horrible grades.